Camera savy people, come in please.

• Sponsors (?)

Stick with the Canon lenses if you can. You'll get very mixed results with the other brands. Sigma is ok too. I bought the XT with the stock 18-55mm lens and I'm looking at upgrading to the Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS lens. 135mm isn't a ton of zoom but it's good for general use and the 28mm could be wider, but again, for general use, it's decent. Don't buy one of those 18-300mm things becuase the image quality suffers BIG TIME and there's way too much light-loss. If you don't mind changing lenses, just get the kit with the lens and buy a 70-200 IS for a really nice telephoto.

Just remember . . . cheap lenses are BAD. Even then stock lens really chokes the image quality this camera can produce!

Pennywise2 said:
Cool! :nice:
I always hear that the Canon cameras are the best though.
I like the rebels, but based on my experience with the non-SLR digital cameras, I would personally go for the Olympus Digital SLR because the consumer Olympus digi cams have much better white balance than the Canon ones, but that may have changed.

White balance is easy to correct though. Especially if the camera has RAW capability. I'd be more worried about lens and sensor aberrations like purple-fringing, color aliasing, bad color noise etc. whith a non-SLR camera.

Zero Signal said:
Stick with the Canon lenses if you can. You'll get very mixed results with the other brands. Sigma is ok too. I bought the XT with the stock 18-55mm lens and I'm looking at upgrading to the Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS lens. 135mm isn't a ton of zoom but it's good for general use and the 28mm could be wider, but again, for general use, it's decent. Don't buy one of those 18-300mm things becuase the image quality suffers BIG TIME and there's way too much light-loss. If you don't mind changing lenses, just get the kit with the lens and buy a 70-200 IS for a really nice telephoto.

Just remember . . . cheap lenses are BAD. Even then stock lens really chokes the image quality this camera can produce!

Thanks for the info. man.

how's this one?

Hard to tell, I've never seen that lens before. I would seriously try to get something that will go wider than 55mm though. You're max field of vision is going to be really narrow. It might be fine if all you want is the big zoom. It's hard to find info on the less popular lenses since nobody had written a review or posted samples from it.

That should be an ok lens. It will be tough to use though with it being a dark lens. With a big zoom like that, you want to be able to shoot the fastest shutter you can to avoid blurring from the camera shakes. The next up from the would be the 300mm IS version which is like $2k :( but with enough practice and maybe a unipod, you could probably pull off some good shots with it at full zoom. You'll just learn what the limits are with your lighting conditions.

Yeah I got the black body too :D Only bad part is that the front gets scratched up by fingernails easily, but it mostly rubs off. All it needs now is a battery grip to really make it look like you know what you're doing :), but the batteries tend to last about 500 photos at least.

SO what lens did you get? The 70-300 or did you stick with the stock 18-55? If you got the 70-300, I'd really like to see some unedted pics from it!