Canadian "Cobra" - What's in a name?

THOR74

Dec 5, 2009
Ontario, Canada
In the late 80s and early 90s Ford sold the Mustang GT in Canada as the "Ford Mustang Cobra GT". The two cars are the same, except maybe for the 220 kilometer per hour speedo.

In fact, it was not uncommon to see a Canadian GT with a factory sticker on the rear of the hatch, opposite the Ford emblem, that read "COBRA". My car never came with this sticker, and it was often put on white cars, hatchbacks and ragtops alike.

All Canadian insurance companies list my car as a "3 door Cobra" and I remember arguing with them that my car is only a GT, but they had no such listing. I suspected I was getting screwed on insurance until I found out that they were right.

I have read several conflicting accounts (which I won't mention here) of why Ford added the "Cobra" to the Canadian GT's name.

Can anyone offer some insight?

• Sponsors (?)

Ford used the name in Canada to retain the rights to it. If a manufacturer doesn't use a name for a period of time, the trademark will expire. That is what happened with the GT40 moniker. Ford was planning on using it for the new GT, but since the trademark lapsed, a company in the UK took it and is building cars over there called the GT40.

Ford used the name in Canada to retain the rights to it. If a manufacturer doesn't use a name for a period of time, the trademark will expire. That is what happened with the GT40 moniker. Ford was planning on using it for the new GT, but since the trademark lapsed, a company in the UK took it and is building cars over there called the GT40.

I think that was an unintentional side effect. It did keep Shelby from ending up with the name when he started suing everybody in the 90's.

Hey, I've been stuck in the house getting over a nasty case of bronchitis. Time on my hands...

I've started a few threads, but that's about all I got to say for now - I'm all out of bullets.

Soon I'll be doing more driving and less typing. :)