Roush Car is being upgraded as I type...

dotbomb

Jul 10, 2006
OC California
Dropped the car off at Saleen today. They will be installing the 475 HP upgrade kit, 3.73 gears, upgraded panhard and lca's this week. I should have it back late Wednesday or Thursday.

Last week I had my fuel pump replaced and my body kit issues resolved at the dealer. Saleen is going to replace/fix/whatever my 1 bad chrome wheel this week for me too.

It is going to end up being a long 2 weeks of having my car in/out of the shops but it will be well worth it. Trying to figure out where I'll drive to Thursday :D

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not worried about the gains honestly. I'm sure they are rock solid. Another guy I know got 410 HP and 397 ft/lbs at the wheels (avg over three pulls) out of this kit and he had his work done at Saleen.

I decided not to ask about a dyno run since I really got a great deal on the price after some negotiating. I figured asking more favors might be pushing it.

dotbomb said:
I'm not worried about the gains honestly. I'm sure they are rock solid. Another guy I know got 410 HP and 397 ft/lbs at the wheels (avg over three pulls) out of this kit and he had his work done at Saleen.

I decided not to ask about a dyno run since I really got a great deal on the price after some negotiating. I figured asking more favors might be pushing it.

A dyno run is the only thing you actually should ask !!!

Do yourself a favor and get it... or you might regret running lean without knowing it... and also dream you're making 475 HP... but maybe not...

00s281sc368 said:
A dyno run is the only thing you actually should ask !!!

Do yourself a favor and get it... or you might regret running lean without knowing it... and also dream you're making 475 HP... but maybe not...

Since I've decided to get the Saleen kit and have it installed by Saleen the tune can't be modified anyway.

I'm not a dyno racer type of numbers guy so I don't see the point and if I really want it dyno'd I'd personally rather take it to a third party.

dotbomb said:
Since I've decided to get the Saleen kit and have it installed by Saleen the tune can't be modified anyway.

I'm not a dyno racer type of numbers guy so I don't see the point and if I really want it dyno'd I'd personally rather take it to a third party.

Its not about the numbers necessarily, its more about if it is running good fuel wise...
But yes you should take it to another shop to get tuned, saleen has a great rep for not tuning great...:nonono:

129saleen said:
Its not about the numbers necessarily, its more about if it is running good fuel wise...
But yes you should take it to another shop to get tuned, saleen has a great rep for not tuning great...:nonono:

Which has changed with the new cars. For example, I asked JDM if they had a tune for the 2006 stock Saleen blower/tune and they said no, there is no point. They said they really couldn't improve on it.

Now if you buy their upgrades then yes you get their tune but it mainly has to do with the fact that slap a CAI in with the kit and they use different pulleys.

Jeff.

Even though you don't really care just ask them for at least one or two pulls anyway. This is not an absolute and even though Saleen is doing the work it doesn't mean a thing. You really need to know what is happening air/fuel wise after the 475 kit. Half the guys at Saleen don't know what they are doing anyway.

Don't you rememeber the two "techs" during the show that couldn't get that black blower car started after the install for the public to view?

Having Saleen do the blower install on a N/A Saleen is one thing becuase they will warranty it. The kit you are getting does not look like anyone will warranty it anytime soon. What most of you guys don't know or rememeber/know is Saleen used to do work on customers cars back in the day and then one day it just stopped without warning. To much warranty liability in a "tuner" shop. I know Saleen is a manufacturer but anythin can happen at anytime and I'd hate you to get the small pulley, fry your motor and Saleen say's tough.

I do agree with that concern Marcus. However, I'd have to be there to witness the pulls to feel 100% certain about it all.

I really really worked them on price. Really worked them. No, Really. Then I got all nit picky about some issues too (wheel, steering wheel badge, more alignment issues on the body). I even went so far as to source the HP upgrade kit from another vendor to get an extra $175 off and Carlos worked with me on that.

So... I want them to complete the work while they still like me (if that is possible). They've been great so far and happy to oblige. Once the work is complete I'll re-evaluate all this.

Honestly, after thinking about it the past couple days I'll probably take it in somewhere local to have a proper dyno to check the A/F. I just had my fuel pump replaced prior to this so it is probably prudent regardless.

Anyone know of a good dyno in OC?

Saleen is building out some E cars right now. I know one guy has said his car has been on the dyno for the past 2 days. If we don't trust Saleen why would I press for a dyno, not be witness to it, and take their word? :shrug:

Anyway, as you can tell by my long winded reply I've thought about it. I think a 3rd party independent dyno is best.

Regarding warranty: The service manager at my dealership said they'd cover me. I know it is just words but we'll see.

edit: The Saleen kit looks stock, another big reason for me purchasing it, and I bet most techs wouldn't even notice a difference anyway.

dotbomb said:
Ok you guys are convincing...

I just asked Carlos to add a Dyno pull and monitor the A/F. We'll see if it gets done. If not I'll take it in someplace else.

:nice: Good you will be happy that you did and you wont have to worry about blowing it up the 1st time you get on it hard...

Hint hint.

They will dyno it anyway if there isn't anything in line. Just ask Carlos for a printout. It's as easy as that.

Otherwise just have Steve give you one pull in HB. He is

powertraindynamics.com

Yeah I figured they'd dyno it if they had any issues while installing. Any good shop would cover their bases. I'll ask about a printout when I go up to get it. I just got the call that it is done :D

Regardless it'd probably be good to get a 3rd party dyno done, thanks for the reference. Plus it gives me a good baseline for if/when I seriously consider a drive shaft upgrade :nice:

OK car is back. Man what a difference :D

They didn't do a dyno on it and when I asked Steve (head guy for the tech/service/whatever) said they didn't have access to a dyno today. He then said "that car is quick" to which I responded that is the point of the upgrades. He said "no, that one is the quickest I've driven with these upgrades".

I agree, it is very quick now but I have no experience with other 05+'s with this kit and gears.

Now to hit Ortega Hwy to test the suspension upgrades :nice:

Congrats.

Just watch out for the mounties. They are out there for sure.
I want to come down and drive it. I am considering the new Kenne Belle 8-13 lb. kit. When is the next Crystal Cove you are considering? How many pounds of boost are you making with the new pulley? I am intrigued. I'm on the fence. I would prefer the Series VI but the new reviews on the Kenne Bell are insane.

marcus95 said:
Congrats.

Just watch out for the mounties. They are out there for sure.
I want to come down and drive it. I am considering the new Kenne Belle 8-13 lb. kit. When is the next Crystal Cove you are considering? How many pounds of boost are you making with the new pulley? I am intrigued. I'm on the fence. I would prefer the Series VI but the new reviews on the Kenne Bell are insane.

Thanks!

Crystal Cove? Don't even get me started on how early of a morning that is lol If there's a group here that is going I can meet up and look at the cars but getting up early enough to show mine? Probably isn't going to happen. We can definately coordinate a drive though.

The boost with this kit is 6 lbs up from 4 lbs stock.

So Marcus does this mean you'll get a 3 valve and slap on a Kenne Bell? Or are you refering to another car?

Head Paneer said:
Congratulations. I am curious to hear what you think of the suspension upgrades.

I can report on the suspension upgrades now.

I just got back from a cruise through Trabuco Canyon. The suspension upgrade is very noticeable.

Previously you could sense some desire for the car to pitch a little in the rear. It was slight but it was there. Now, that feeling is gone. The car just takes straight lines through curves w/o any sense that the rear is moving (probably because it isn't).

It was a fun drive :D

marcus95 said:
Awesome. That panhard is doing it's job. Sounds really good. The rear end of this car is floaty.

I hear ya about the early morning. Robert is going to poke fun.

To answer your question.

YES! That's awesome Marcus! Congrats! Now you need to change those wheels out to painted white though :D Maybe even the painted white 5 spokes.

Depending on who you talk to the Saleen supercharger may not fit under that hood w/o swapping out motor mounts. Some people do it w/o changing motor mounts but others get some rub.

We need to get together soon with the OC gang again... maybe Robert has fixed his clutch???