Car overheated BADLY

RedStang88

Aug 14, 2003
Hey guys I was on the highway today and my car overheated to the the line right before the H. I pulled over I could hear the radiator boiling. I know there was coolant in the radiator b/c I checked it yesterday. I noticed the waterpump was smokin, perhaps it is bad? What do you think could cause it to overheat so bad and do you think any major damage could be done to the engine, it sounded bad when I hit the gas like clank clank sounds. I had the engine rebuilt for head gaskets a few months ago and it was running really good.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like the bearings in the water pump might have frozen. Was it the water pump or belt that was smoking? As far as the noise, the motor was probably just pinging real bad. Any water in the oil?

Probably the water pump or thermostat in my experience, but if your oil pressure is extremely low too... it could be your oil pump went which would explain the clanking sounds of your valvetrain running dry and the overheating. It's a long shot, but a possibility none the less...
Good luck,
Jason

Once my thermostat stuck and I too overheated my car pretty bad. After driving it around the next couple of days, I kept smelling antifreeze. Then decided to pull my plugs and antifreeze came out of one of the spark plug holes. Turns out it screwed up a head gasket. After I replaced the gaskets, all was back to normal. I'd suggest checking that out too.

Well the car is stuck out on the highway right now, about 30 miles away from home. I cant tow it home so what do you guys think I should do before I start it up and try to drive home.

I would suggest you tow it, why CAN'T you? Take the belt off and see if it still makes the noise. If not, it's with water pump. Also check your antifreeze for oil, if it's in there, you head gasket(s) may be gone. Also double check coolant level and overfill tank. I had mine get hot one time, and when I pulled over I had left the radiator cap sitting on the battery. Just added water and it was fine. If it's something other than low coolant, you should consider towing it home to diagnose it.