Clutch cable keeps streching

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
Has anyone ever purchased a cable from blueovalindustries.com?? i think it might be a cheapo(only 30 bucks).. Neways i have to go adjust every week or so.. and im running out of threads!! Also whenever i dump the clutch to burnout or sumthing, the cable gets loose as a fat girls *****, so loose i can barely shift gears. Anyone have this happen befor?! It never use to happen when i had the stock cable.. until it snapped lol. So should i try a better cable or could it be something else? Please help! thankyou

• Sponsors (?)

yes, i can't remeber if it was blue oval industries specifically, but i bought one of those same adjustable cables and am noticing every now and then i need to turn the fwa out a little.......they stretch, apparently.....when it goes or i get sick of fiddling with it i'm buying a stocker.....

ok the adjustable cables can kinda suck especially with the stock clutch adjuster.

what i did with mine since i have the fire wall adjuster is adjust the adjustment out of the cable and just use the fwa. since you dont have the fwa, i'm not exactly sure where you wanna adjust that cable to start......

there's an article floating around out here, i dont have it at the moment im sure someone else can post it, about adjusting clutch cables..

do yourself a big favor though, get an aluminum cable hook quadrant and fire wall adjuster. their not that expensive and make life a whole bunch easier...

as for your current dilema, the cable adjustment is on the end of the cable where it attatches to the clutch fork......then theres the stock clutch adjuster where you pull up the clutch pedal and it ratchets.......i really don't know where to tell you to start using the adjustable cable and the stock quadrant......

FWA = firewall adjuster.

Jeremy Thompson's article is here .

The oem cable is the only way to go, and for 40 bucks plus shipping, it isnt much more than the 'cheap' cables out there.

Good luck.

Friend of mine said he bought a cable from NAPA and he said it had a lifetime warranty on it(I'm not so sure about that). But he broke his cable about a year after he bought it and they replaced it free of charge. Not sure about stretching, but worth a shot. By the way he told me cable was about $42

HISSIN50 said:
FWA = firewall adjuster.

Jeremy Thompson's article is here .

The oem cable is the only way to go, and for 40 bucks plus shipping, it isnt much more than the 'cheap' cables out there.

Good luck.

well the thing about it the car has 29k on it and i replaced the engine and tran. just wanted to know if I can use the stock one or if i have to use a after market one?

mustangsally93 said:
well the thing about it the car has 29k on it and i replaced the engine and tran. just wanted to know if I can use the stock one or if i have to use a after market one?
I posted the FWA info in regard to your post. But the rest of what I posted was in regard to Jstang's thread.

I honestly dont know about your cable issue MS, since I dont run that trans.

Good luck.

i have had some issues with the cable stretching too, i bought a steeda cable and put on mine and it does fine so far...before this cable i had one cheapo adj. and two or three stockers that snapped..i am also running an aftermarket quadrant and no fire wall adjuster

thanks, but i went to kragen and autozone.. both cables look liked that.. both were too long.. even after adjust.. or maybe my factory adjuster is broken?!, im thinkin i want to buy a whole new cable, fwa and quadrant.. I was wondering how do u swap quadrants?! i can barley fit my hand in the lil spot to attach the cable!

if i pull up on my pedal and nothing happens.. no clicking wat so ever.. that means the teeth on my quadrant are worse down probably and i need a new one right?! im thinking of gettin a oem cable then upr quadrant and firewall adjuster

jstang209 said:
if i pull up on my pedal and nothing happens.. no clicking wat so ever.. that means the teeth on my quadrant are worse down probably and i need a new one right?
Or that the cable is already adjusted properly.

Courtesy of Jeremy Thompson is this article, which can help with the install, should you decide to renew the components.

Good luck.

how hard would it be to remove the pedal assembly.. i seen on ebay the clutch and break pedal assembly detached with the quadrant on it.. is it removable like that? would that be a much easier way to swap the quadrants, or is it a pita to get the assembly out?