Clutch chattering and squeaking

HoustonGT

Gilded Gelding
Apr 6, 2003
Houston
Hey guys. I posted a thread a few days ago about a chattering and squeaking noise and thought it was the a/c clutch and pulley. Then yesterday i kept messing with it and noticed that the noise went away completely when i pushed the clutch in. So i realized it was the clutch making the noise, not the a/c clutch or pulley.
My question is, how is it that the clutch is chattering and starting to go yet i have absolutely no slipping and can still bark into 2nd gear with no problem? Did one of the pucks just get wore down or what? Thanks In Advance guys

BTW, i got a quote for a clutch install and Houston Performance said $225, so im happy :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Next time you are inside your car, windows up, radio off .. when you push the clutch in does it make like a groaning sound? Or at idle in neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal not pressed) does it chirp? If so it is your throw out bearing. That's all I know. SVT or one of teh other pros will have a better idea if what I described above is not your issue.

DTNODYA said:
Next time you are inside your car, windows up, radio off .. when you push the clutch in does it make like a groaning sound? Or at idle in neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal not pressed) does it chirp? If so it is your throw out bearing. That's all I know. SVT or one of teh other pros will have a better idea if what I described above is not your issue.
Yea my throwout bearing does make noise, but i thought that chattering is caused by the clutch itself :shrug: Also, i notice that the car shutters and chatters when i let the clutch out from a stop in first and get going.

I mean if its just the throw-out bearing and i have to pay for labor, i might as well change the clutch out while the tranny is being worked on anyways

to fix the throw out bearing chirp...

get some lithium grease and if you get underneath your car you'll notice three air notches at the bottom of the tranny. If you shine a light in these wholes you will see the throw out bearing. But when putting the lithium grease on make sure not to hit anything else.

my car was shuttering and struggling to get going and it turned out the motor mounts were shot, and I mean junk! this was after the 2nd clutch and bout 90,000 mi. could be that also?

cooper said:
my car was shuttering and struggling to get going and it turned out the motor mounts were shot, and I mean junk! this was after the 2nd clutch and bout 90,000 mi. could be that also?
HOw can i check and see if those are still okay or not? I only have 47k miles

mustangsCobra12 said:
to fix the throw out bearing chirp...

get some lithium grease and if you get underneath your car you'll notice three air notches at the bottom of the tranny. If you shine a light in these wholes you will see the throw out bearing. But when putting the lithium grease on make sure not to hit anything else.

I have the chirp. How do you put it on? On a little stick or something? I am glad to see I might not have to go in for warrenty work on this.

HoustonGT said:
HOw can i check and see if those are still okay or not? I only have 47k miles
i took it to a friend who works at a dealer. he put the car on the lift and with a screw jack (gues thats what you call it) lifted the motor from the oilpan, very carefullike. we could see the cracks in the rubber when he lifted and lowered the jack. after we replaced them you could realy see how bad they were.

cooper said:
i took it to a friend who works at a dealer. he put the car on the lift and with a screw jack (gues thats what you call it) lifted the motor from the oilpan, very carefullike. we could see the cracks in the rubber when he lifted and lowered the jack. after we replaced them you could realy see how bad they were.
Hmm interesting, was install cheap or not? The motor mounts themselves can't be alot but im pretty sure its my clutch. I just don't get why the chattering gets worse when i turn the A/C on unless the a/c pulley and clutch are starting to go too :shrug:

not too sure what you mean about bad install? well my car has always been more difficult to drive with the a/c on! when my bud told me it was the motor mounts that was probably the problem instead of the clutch , I was like yah sure!!?? and one motor mount was shreaded, gone , and the other was in poor condition. problem solved , no more shuttering , lurtching ,or grabby clutch from a start. but i instaled a k c clutch 4 weeks ago and the TOB is squelling like a pig??? brang new TOB? ohh the clutch fork vibrates also? go figure! look at all rubber mounts for cracks or wear. 65.00$ for motor mounts and no more worries about a 300-600 clutch JOB.

on the lift with a pro is the best, I guess you could do it with a jack, but that might be a real pita. maybe talk to a local shop , or even call and ask your dealer about an inspection?