coilover shock vs air suspension systems

• Sponsors (?)

dmoody said:
Hey guys,
I've looked all over the web for something that would tell me more about
the advantages/disadvantages of a coilover shock versus an air suspension
arrangement. Both types are offered for the Mustang II front suspension
but why would you choose one over the other?

d

Coil overs are nice if you get the adjustable versions. The air ride stuff is REALLY nice, but pricey.

One thing to keep in mind... I've found that 90% of the aftermarket MII front suspension stuff will NOT work on a stock MII. It's designed to work with aftermarket MII control arms and crossmembers.

Power Surge said:
One thing to keep in mind... I've found that 90% of the aftermarket MII front suspension stuff will NOT work on a stock MII. It's designed to work with aftermarket MII control arms and crossmembers.

I've noticed that too. The aftermarket MII IFS kits are beefier in various key areas.

One thing I absolutely do not understand is outside of the 2" dropped spindles, I don't understand how coilovers or air suspension systems can significantly drop the ride height without screwing up the ball joint angles. Also even if you didn't mess up the ball joint angles, wouldn't you have to increase the damping force of the shocks to account for less available travel due to the lowered ride height? Otherwise wouldn't you quickly bottom out the suspension if you hit a big bump with a lowered ride?

david