Comparison Thread: '86 GT - '91 Lx. Whats the difference?

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
What is the difference between a hatchback '86 stang GT and a '91 Stang Lx hatch? Regarless of color and in stock form. Say if you wanted to make the '91 look like a '86, but besides the interior or engine.

Different
Body side mouldings
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Fender Extensions
Fenders
Inner Fenders
Quarter windows
Front bumper impact support
Headlights/markers
Tail lights
Hood

Q's
1. Are the doors actually different? Or could you just swap the mirrors off the '86 to a '91 door?
2. Are the "grooves" in the body panels the same? Just different mouldings right?
3. Are the Front bumper "support arms" different between the years? I haven't found any info on that.

Same
1. Hatch
2. Spoiler
3. Roof
4. Windows
5. Quarter Panels
6. Doors??? Only different mirrors?
7. Rear bumper impact support
8. Cowl

Any of you guys know anything else that would be missing?

I'm just curious on this...

In other words.....
If i was to take this car the way it is and strip the moldings plus install the "different parts list" i could make it almost identical exterior wise to and '86 GT in stock form... correct?

Heres how the car sits now. Just strip the moldings and it should be identical to a '86 GT in the same form right?
(Forget about the Quarter windows, i'd use the 87-93 style ones...)

View attachment 350877

• Sponsors (?)

I have a '86 GT parts car. Its rusty, but all the bumpers and moldings are there. So its just a swap really. My car is stripped down, and i LOVE the 85-86 Mustang GT look alot better. My car is getting new paint regardless. I also want the 91-93 Black interior Vs. the '86 interior. So i'm winning in both ways here!

I like the Aero Nose But i LOVE the 4 eyed nose. Here is how it was....
View attachment 350837

Heres what it will be similar to only alot better when its converted...
View attachment 350839

Yeah it is alot of work. But, my neighbor has a sick red '85 that i starred at all day when i was younger and i didn't have a car(yet alone a license) and i loved his car. Thats what got me hooked on stangs. Now when i park mine next to his, his 4 eye always looks better then my aero. My aero looks bigger for some reason, a 4 eye really seems like a smaller car, i think its cause the short hood and all that. Anyways, i found my '91 in search for a '86 and couldn't pass it up. Now i'm having regrets with not getting a 4 eye, cause even though i think i've done pretty well on this car, its still not a 4 eye. And now thats i have the newer one, if i convert it to a 4 eye i'll benefit of the new style black interior.

Yeah it is alot of work. But, my neighbor has a sick red '85 that i starred at all day when i was younger and i didn't have a car(yet alone a license) and i loved his car. Thats what got me hooked on stangs. Now when i park mine next to his, his 4 eye always looks better then my aero. My aero looks bigger for some reason, a 4 eye really seems like a smaller car, i think its cause the short hood and all that. Anyways, i found my '91 in search for a '86 and couldn't pass it up. Now i'm having regrets with not getting a 4 eye, cause even though i think i've done pretty well on this car, its still not a 4 eye. And now thats i have the newer one, if i convert it to a 4 eye i'll benefit of the new style black interior.

:stupid: i love the 87-93 interior...and the 85-86 nose = :drool:...

hey bud do what you like but your lx is beautiful the way it is. i know what you mean about the 4 eye cars i love them too. i have a 82 gt and a 89 coupe,ive seen your car on car domain and i cant believe you want to change it. its your ride do what you like but im still keeping all the photos of your car just the way it is......

I don't think i can do it. I want to, but damn idk. I love the '85-86's and maybe i'm just brain washed right now. I think maybe i'll just buy one instead of make one lol. That way i can get the ttops like i want as well. And to quote my buddy, "If you touch that car i'll cut your *****ing head off" Its tempting but idk man. My main goal was to get a full spread in Modified Mustangs whens its done. Hopefully its worthy. I'll have to hit up the shows in the spring/summer.

where are you located? i wouldnt mind taking that saleen front bumper off ya if you decide to go with the swap. Oh and at first i didnt like your idea at all, but the more i think about it, a clean 4 eye cars is tits. And having the newer black interior is just gonna make it all the better. i say go for it

where are you located? i wouldnt mind taking that saleen front bumper off ya if you decide to go with the swap. Oh and at first i didnt like your idea at all, but the more i think about it, a clean 4 eye cars is tits. And having the newer black interior is just gonna make it all the better. i say go for it

Thats exactly what i was thinking.