Complete Smog System removal?

MadMatt5oh

Jan 10, 2003
St Paul, MN
Hey people,
I have an aftermarket smog pump eliminator pulley on my car. The tubing is still there! The sight of it makes me crazy. I would like to remove all of it! That damn check valve lookin thing.The tubes into the back of the heads. The vacumm lines with freakin bolts in them. Even the charcoal canister if possible. What Im saying is I want to give this car a complete enema of this smog crap.

I would like to go to a short belt setup and throw away the eliminator pulley. The belt on it now is all glazed and cracked anyway. I'd also like to find
some nice looking inserts for the back of the heads.

How far can I take this without having problems? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

i saw in another post that you can put spark plugs in the back of the heads....it looks alright...even though you wont see it on the car. just knock off the porcelain part. ive got all the smog equipment on my car and im running a smaller belt...not sure of the number though. sorry. just havent had time to rip everything out.

Well this has been answered many times in previous posts, and I will try to explain how I did it just 6 months ago, and I really like not having all that crap in the way.
I removed all the vacuum lines one at a time and used plugs I got at the local auto store. I am talking about the small ones. Then I removed the pump and canister. Now you are left with the steel smog lines to the back of the heads. Well there are several ways to fix this. Some will use the spark plug method and I decided to try something that has worked. I removed both lines, there is a single bolt in each head in the back. I then took a scrap piece of 1/8 steel and cut it out and drilled a hole to the same pattern as the block is on the steel lines that bolts to the head. Then I took some high heat gasket sealer, put it on the steel plate I made and just screwed it one the head, you will need to get a shorter bolt. It blocks the hole off and I have no smog items left. Looks great and I have had no problems.
Good luck in whatever way you do it. :nice:

I took all the smog stuff off of my 94 without any problems. With the tubes in the back of the heads, you take the things that are bolted onto them, and just take them off, cut the tubing off (but leave the main "thing" thats connected to the back of the heads) and just flip the thing over and bolt it back on. Thats what I did in mid June and I haven't had any problems with it thus far, and my car is a daily driver.

OK! alright, I'll do it! I'm real obsessive about a nice functional engine area. The last thing I want is disabled equipment that once robbed HP before! I dont get it, The guy bought the billit eliminator kit and didnt finish the job :shrug: Oh Well, the car came from West VA and has a CB radio antenea