Crazy 67 fastback prices

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't want to start a flame war....

I don't know if that car will ever ride again. Personally I'd love to be wrong on that, but dayum it is messed up, there's very little to salvage, particularly when the roof and pillars are toast.

I've seen cars that were just as bad go for more money before. Those are usually rare and desireable cars like Bosses or 68.5 CJs where the purchaser is essentially only buying a clear title. As I failed to mention in my original post but CF caught...this car doesn't even have a title!

Man I guess I am lucky...

After seeing that ad, I am feeling real lucky. I went through a bit of searching and then got lucky to find a completely rust free fastback from someone in a forum which I bought, for what I felt like at the time was a lot. But I paid it and was happy with it. Now, just one year later, after seeing the prices going through the roof, I am very happy I got it for what I did. I paid just under 9K for the car and a little over 1K for shipping. All in all 10K to get the car to my door. I figured that "rust free" meant it still has some area in need of rust repair as most do. To my surprise, it is completely rust free. We just got done painting the undercoating and no lie, we didn't do one bit of rust repair. Sansblasted to get some of the minor surface rust off, and I had the cowl removed to sandblast and protect with primer, but no rust repair at all. Now I know some of you will not like this part, but I bought this car to turn into Eleanor. We all have our own opinions, but I think Gone in 60 really helped mustangs get the recognition they deserve. Kind of what bullit did, but with a bigger impact. It also helped raise the value of thousands of peoples car almost overnight. I love the classic mustangs and fastbacks, but Eleanor is my dream car. I know some of you are saying, "Oh god, he is taking that rust free 67 FB and tearing it up to make a clone", but the reality is that all of this can be undone in the future if need be. But it won't, because I love that car and I will never get rid of it. Anywa, just wanted to add my 2 cents here. We all don't like the same things, but I think tolerance of others and their likes is always the best policy. Thanks guys.

Jon

P.S. - Forgot to mention that the fastback was a 390 GT that had deluxe everything. Was the top of the line model for 67. Id didn't have engine or tranny, but had everything else. What do you guys think? Good deal?

bishop1911 said:
After seeing that ad, I am feeling real lucky. I went through a bit of searching and then got lucky to find a completely rust free fastback from someone in a forum which I bought, for what I felt like at the time was a lot. But I paid it and was happy with it. Now, just one year later, after seeing the prices going through the roof, I am very happy I got it for what I did. I paid just under 9K for the car and a little over 1K for shipping. All in all 10K to get the car to my door. I figured that "rust free" meant it still has some area in need of rust repair as most do. To my surprise, it is completely rust free. We just got done painting the undercoating and no lie, we didn't do one bit of rust repair. Sansblasted to get some of the minor surface rust off, and I had the cowl removed to sandblast and protect with primer, but no rust repair at all. Now I know some of you will not like this part, but I bought this car to turn into Eleanor. We all have our own opinions, but I think Gone in 60 really helped mustangs get the recognition they deserve. Kind of what bullit did, but with a bigger impact. It also helped raise the value of thousands of peoples car almost overnight. I love the classic mustangs and fastbacks, but Eleanor is my dream car. I know some of you are saying, "Oh god, he is taking that rust free 67 FB and tearing it up to make a clone", but the reality is that all of this can be undone in the future if need be. But it won't, because I love that car and I will never get rid of it. Anywa, just wanted to add my 2 cents here. We all don't like the same things, but I think tolerance of others and their likes is always the best policy. Thanks guys.

Jon

P.S. - Forgot to mention that the fastback was a 390 GT that had deluxe everything. Was the top of the line model for 67. Id didn't have engine or tranny, but had everything else. What do you guys think? Good deal?

For a rust free car....hell yeah I think you got a good deal. You know how much rust cost to get out, even if you do the work yourself.

Edbert said:
Didn't want to start a flame war....

I don't know if that car will ever ride again. Personally I'd love to be wrong on that, but dayum it is messed up, there's very little to salvage, particularly when the roof and pillars are toast.

I've seen cars that were just as bad go for more money before. Those are usually rare and desireable cars like Bosses or 68.5 CJs where the purchaser is essentially only buying a clear title. As I failed to mention in my original post but CF caught...this car doesn't even have a title!

It might not hit the road again. With all of that being wrong, the peron buying it may or may not have an idea of what they are getting themselves into. Either way i think we all agree that person is going to need some deep pockets.

It would be "interesting" to invite the purchaser to join this forum to see the progress or lack of.

Ok, here's my latest contribution to the ridiculous fastback price thing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...1813&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting
Since I promised my wife I wouldn't put anymore money into my clone than it's going to be worth when it's done, I'm occasionally surfing ebay to see what nice clones are going for these days. I ran across this car Friday nite and at first it seemed like a nice, well done clone. Then I started looking closer. Here's a quick list of the things wrong with this car. The guy claims the motor has been completely rebuilt. Then why wasn't it at least repainted? Why does everyone advertising an old car for sale have a freshly rebuilt motor? The trans has been rebuilt, same thing. While checking out a close up of the headlights, I noticed something doesn't look right about the headlight area. Then I saw the entire headlight bucket sticks out about an inch too far! Hope the new owner doesn't cut his hand on the adjusting screws when he's washing the car! Look closely at the driver's side high beam headight. Notice anything? It's in there SIDEWAYS! Nice. Moving on to the rear, I saw that he used T-Bird taillights instead of the Cougar units. No big deal, since lots of builders use them so they don't need to cut the entire taillight panel out. But then when I looked closer to see how well his rear 'glass fit I noticed that you cant see any seams since he bondo'd the entire tail section together! Very nice. The "world class" paintjob looks good, but it bugs me that rather than remove the two screws holding the striker to the door jamb, they just sprayed right over it. If they didn't want to take that off, they likely didn't remove the doors to spray the jambs, which means the front area of the doors is a lovely mixture of overspray and whatever color the car used to be. He says the carpet has a small hole. To me that means two things, first while building this "world class" car, he stopped short of blowing $100 on new carpet, but did buy nitrous (plumbed through a rubber hose!), and since he's already lied about the motor and trans, it's probably a BIG hole. Back to the amazing bodywork, I see that even though '67 Shelbys had both stock hood latches and pins, he chose not to drill the required 2 holes and bolt on the stock latch. Look at one of the motor pics and you see what appears to be two windsheild washer bottles. I think one is used as an overflow for the radiator, so no big deal, but then you can clearly see the original bottle isn't even hooked up to the squirters! If you're not going to use the original bottle for washers, why not use it for the overflow and have one less bottle under the hood. Not that it would look much better, with wiring that looks like spaghetti and rubber fuel lines everwhere. The car was obviously built in a hurry to turn a huge profit and judging by the price, it's working. With 8 days left it's already waaaay over what it's worth at about $22K.

ZK,

You are looking at this the wrong way. If you promised you wouldn't put any more money into your car than it may be worth someday, this car would be a perfect example for the wife. "Look honey, this one sold for $22,XXX.00 and look at everything that is wrong with it."

Just a thought. ;)

Eric

68rustang said:
ZK,

You are looking at this the wrong way. If you promised you wouldn't put any more money into your car than it may be worth someday this car would be a perfect example for the wife. "Look honey, this one sold for $22,XXX.00 and look at everything that is wrong with it."

Just a thought. ;)

Eric
LOL! You must be reading my mind! Actually, that's EXACTLY waht I've been doing! When I first started this project, decent clones were going for $12K to $15K, and I thought I could do it for that. But now I'm somewhere above $15K and still need brakes, exhaust and interior, plus some small detail items. I say "somewhere" because I haven't added up all the reciepts yet, nor do I intend to until it's time to insure it again. I'll probably have to add up the costs in the closet with a flashlight to keep the wife from finding out what it cost...

I never saved the bookmark but does anyone else here remember the genuine 67 GT500 that sold on ebay for $72,700? It had no drivetrain at all and there was not a sinlge peice of meatal that was not dented and/or rusted. Also well over 50% of the "parts" not including the drivetrain were mising.

If that is the going price for a mess of a 67 GT500 then $200,000 might be a bit low for a 1st class resto of one. Same thing here, if we say $5K is the "going price" for a peice of salvage metal like the one at the beginning of this thread then a fully restored S-code 67 GT FB should be about $50K.

So there Zoo, you've just got a budget increase!

My wife is more forgiving. I added up my reciept not too long ago (I do NOT recommend doing that to anyone...LOL) and counting the price of the vehicle which was purchased in the 80s I have about $25K into her and would have to work hard to get that once she's running and all the kinks are worked out.

So what, she aint for sale anyhow.

Just a little food for thought: in 1967, there were 71,042 fastbacks produced and in 1968, there were 42,581 made for a total of 113,623 fastbacks of that bodystyle. I know that some have been destroyed over the years, but there are still plenty out there and if someone with a lot of cash is willing to pay $5k for a pile that's been sitting in a field rusting away for decades and wants to make it into a show car, race car, or a driver, then I say more power to them.

68converted said:
Nothing like putting a shine on a turd. Hello... it's still a turd.

Oooopsie! They put some bright red paint on THIS understructure?

View attachment 488342

All things considered the ~$16K for the Eleanwhore is a better deal by far that the $5K for 10% of a dead horse.

Jeb, I agree with you on the "more power to him" bit, but I'm not sure that one CAN be resurrected. Even if it can be (anything is possible with enough money and time), it is going to cost so much money it's rediculous. I hate to see the old horses die, but that one died long ago if you ask me.

The only thing good that came out of all the elenor craze is they are repopping more sheetmetal. They now have full floors, cowl vents (both inner and outer), entire roof panels, etc. That only benefits all the other folks out there that need it.

I wish I could have gotten a fastback, but I am perfectly happy with my little ole coupe. I am just pleased to have a old horse to give new life to. The way I looked at it, I saved a horse. Mine was not too bad when it started, but it sure was neglected and ugly... but a relatively rust free ugly at that.

68converted said:
I just wanted to add something: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...4609455012QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

Nothing like putting a shine on a turd. Hello... it's still a turd. Amazing :shrug:

I wouldn't call it a turd but if I were a buyer but I would definitely go hmmmmmm
The outside is propped up to look good but they leave a huge rust hole for someone else to fix ? That alone would make me go over that car with a ridiculous amount of scrutiny and there's no WAY I'd buy it sight unseen. That shows the all the signs of a quick buck and that POTENTIALLY means sloppy work and corners cut.

These threads are just a treat to read. You get people complaining about prices because they feel left out. You get people whining about what other people should do with their money. And you even see these threads start infighting amongst our very own like whether the 67/8's are ugly or if the fastbacks are cooler than coupes... etc.. etc... :). All very amusing. I myself squeaked in before the "movie" with my 67 fastback. Hey no matter what way you look at it... it's still gonna cost a ton of money (IMO) to make these cars what we want them to be. I paid 6500 for mine... and I got probably 8000 into it so far... with another 10-15000 to go. I'm sure there are a ton of people in here who can relate. It's all what it's worth to YOU. This spring I'm planning on Hagerty insuring it for $25G. Cuz that's what it's worth to ME. And this isn't just Mustang related... it's all the old cars. I recently picked up a 75' Bronco.... surfing in those forums I find the same stuff. People going to eBay and complaining about prices. blah blah blah.... :). Heck you should see the purist cringe when they see my car out on the race course.... OMG!!! It might get dirty!!! ha ha ha.....

CornerCarvin67 said:
You get people whining about what other people should do with their money.

People going to eBay and complaining about prices.

For the record, I was not whining or complaining...

WHINING
I could care less if someone wants to throw their money away, really. I was laughing at the idiot who paid $5,000 for $50 worth of scrap metal that had no title. P.T.Barnum was right ya know.

COMPLAINING
Why would anyone who owns a classic Mustang complain about the price increase? I'm loving it! I almost traded my non-completed project for a fully running/titled/licensed/registered (as a 1965) Cobra kit with a 351C the other day. As things stand now my classic is worth more than my daily-driver 2005-GT with 8,500 miles on it...WOOOT! No complaints here bud.

Now, if you are of modest means and were in the market for a 67/68 fastback I can see how you'd be frustrated since the difficulty of getting one has gone WAAAY up.

Hey... no offense meant Ed... I was just musing. We've seen this thread a thousand times since "the movie". See... I won't even say the word... hee, hee...

And you're right... I do love that my car value continues to rise... it would be the ONLY solace I'd have if I had to sell it. I'm hoping the same rings true for the Bronco!!

Now if this thread wants to continue down the path as to what is the best Mustang style... we all know the 67 Fastback is king.... hee.. hee... let's see what kind of fire THAT statement starts.. :)