Crown Viv VS Mustang Engine?

Blown99

Founding Member
Oct 25, 2002
Southbury
What are the differences between a 99 Crown Vic 4.6 long block and a 99 GT long block? My plan is to build up a 4.6 for the stang using an available engine and then swapping it out when it is built to eliminate down time. I find crown vics with good motors at reasonable prices. I believe the heads are the same but not sure on the rest of it. Thanks in advance for the info.

• Sponsors (?)

I think that the heads on the crown victorias are different than the ones that are on the Mustang GT. I also think that the crown victoria engine is not a high output engine like the Mustang GT engine. The only crown victoria engine which is the same engine that the Mustang GT uses is the Interceptor engine which Ford puts into the State Trooper and Police crown Victorias. Does anybody else in here know about this. I remember that a mechanic once told me not too long agao that the crown victoria police and state police cruisers all have the same exact 4.6L engine in then which is also in the Mustang GT. Is this true. Are the engine heads in the crown victoria police cruisers the same heads which are used in the 4.6L Mustang GT? I am not sure about this.

Also, how about the trannies? Does the crown victoria have the T-45 or the Tremec 3650 tranny just like the ones that are in the 99-04 Mustang GT? Or does Ford use an all together different tranny for the crown victoria? I am not sure about this either.

Ron Jeremy said:
I think that the heads on the crown victorias are different than the ones that are on the Mustang GT. I also think that the crown victoria engine is not a high output engine like the Mustang GT engine. The only crown victoria engine which is the same engine that the Mustang GT uses is the Interceptor engine which Ford puts into the State Trooper and Police crown Victorias. Does anybody else in here know about this. I remember that a mechanic once told me not too long agao that the crown victoria police and state police cruisers all have the same exact 4.6L engine in then which is also in the Mustang GT. Is this true. Are the engine heads in the crown victoria police cruisers the same heads which are used in the 4.6L Mustang GT? I am not sure about this.

Also, how about the trannies? Does the crown victoria have the T-45 or the Tremec 3650 tranny just like the ones that are in the 99-04 Mustang GT? Or does Ford use an all together different tranny for the crown victoria? I am not sure about this either.

The Police Package Crown Vic has the same engine as the Mustang GT, (it just has a more restrictive exhaust and the upper intake is different, its smaller) and it takes air from the drivers side.

You can only get a Automatic in the Crown Vic!

ok, the 2001+ crown vic/grand marquis/town cars have a PI headed 4.6 iron block, aluminum heads. The basic motor is identical to one you would find in a GT except for the crappy exhaust and a not as aggressive tune.

Any panther chassis car will have a 4r70w if new, or a aod or aode. roush built a small fleet of "cobra vics" for the bondurant school that had a cobra 4v motor with a t45 5 speed. the current top of the line crown vic is the LX Sport version that makes 239hp and around 280 torque. if you were going to pull the motor from one make sure you buy one that was driven by an old person, the polie package ones have been totally abused.

Ron Jeremy said:

Those trannies you listed are manuals. Can you imagine if the Police were shifting all over the place?

92-01 Crown vics have Romeo blocks 01+ are windsor blocks. 01+ Crown vic motors are basically the same as the 99+ GT motors with the exception of the intake plenums,TB and air intake.

FYI for everyone. CVPI's are NOT fast. They are not "supped" up, they do not have a special CPU, and they don't have a mustang motor. They are limited to 137mph

The only reason why the CVPI has more hp over the reg vics is due to the duel exhaust. 03 Police interceptor is rated at 239hp which is the same as the Crown victoria HPP (handleing and performance package) which has duel exhaust.

A simple swap of motors from a 99 vic and 99 stang will not work.

#1 on the vics the air intake and battery are on the opposite side as the stang.

#2 To correct problem number one you would have to swap your intake plenums

#3 To make #2 work you would have to have PI heads

Vics didn't have PI heads until 01. I would suggest to try and find a 01+ vic motor and just swap intake plenums.

Take it from a CVPI owner :D

You can also check www.CrownVic.net

good luck with your project

01+ Crown Vic 4.6L = 01+ Mustang GT 4.6L = Romeo blocks
96-00 Crown Vic 4.6L = 96-98 Mustang GT 4.6L = Romeo blocks
it's all the same except for intake plenums and exhaust manifolds.
blocks, cams, heads, pistons, cam followers, everything is identical.

And a NPI plenum will bolt on to a PI intake, its been done. Actually quite a popular thing for NPI guys to do at the moment. It's also well known that the Police Interceptor EEC has some different functions than the standard EEC. Probably no difference in HP, but driveability does change.

crownvic.net thread #1

Crownvic.net thread #2

You would think a fellow CV owner would know this by now... :bang: