Daily Driving And Gas Mileage

Dr Black

Oct 21, 2013
Hey Guys,

Been awhile since I posted, but my II is almost street ready. I want to use it as my daily driver (i don't believe in trophy cars). My question is for the other II owners who use them as dailies, what kind of gas mileage do you see? I'd be using it commute around 45 miles a day, and I'm wondering if it's worth it or should I be looking for another car with better mpg. I don't really want to give up on my II, but I don't want to go broke getting gas for work either.

• Sponsors (?)

Lots and lots of variables at play. Tell us a little more about your car. Engine / transmission combo, gearing, wheels, etc., all have huge impact on mpg. You could have anything from a 4-cylinder II-MPG with low rear-end gearing and 13" rims to a drag car for all we know.

With the 302-V8 (one of your other posts) and a well-adjusted carb, C4 or RAD4 transmission, and stock rear gears, you'll probably be in the high teens / low 20's on the highway and mid-teens in the city. Probably the best way to find out is to drive it for a while but I wouldn't expect too much. Fuel-efficient for the '70's was in the 20's, and a II with the 2.3L 4-cyl might make near 30mpg.

Then of course there's your driving style. The old cars weren't made for 70+mph speed limits. Much above 55 and you'll watch the gas gauge go down. Of course if you've swapped in an AOD or a T5 then that would improve significantly.

I think in the end there's only one way to find out, you'll have to drive it for a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I left out so much info. Its pretty much stock, I havent done anything to it. Yes it does have the 302 -V8. 13 inch wheels. I'm pretty sure the gears are stock. I know my mileage would vary, I guess my post was to try and get an idea of what other guys go DD their IIs were getting.

Mine gets around 13 city and 16 hi-way. I did a test with mine around town. I ran it hard on a tank of gas... Quick takeoff from lights and such.. I got 12 mpg. I was easy from every light and easy getting to speed and I got 13 mpg. So you can get much better mpg with a car from today but you can't have more fun. Fun factor way up in a MII.:nice:

My 76 with a 4bbl carb, intake, headers, and flowmasters would easily get around 20mpg highway with the 302, c4, and 2.79 gears.

My 75 has never actually been measured, so I don't really know what a 350hp 302 wigh a big carb, stall converter and 4.56 gear gets, but I know it ain't good!