Progress Thread Darkfader's 93 Gt Progress - Back to work

Don't skimp on quality, quite literally you buy once cry once or else you'll do it twice, ask ALL OF US how we know.

That said, you don't need the upgraded rear caliper brackets, the 03/04 Cobra IRS rear end comes with the 5 lug disk already... your hardest choice will be wheels. ;) Go Cobra brakes and do it once, use Maximum Motorsports parts for the suspension.

Nice bike man, let's see the track tires AFTER the track day, that's what people look for LOL. I too do track days on my bikes and have been building my notch to do some track days occasionally as well.

ISjLJ6L.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

@bird_dog0347 , I definitely try to use all of my tire, except the middle if I can help it. ;)

In other news, I picked up my spindles today. They are a little rough, but nothing a good cleaning and some powdercoat won’t cure. I’ll go ahead and install new hubs once they are cleaned up.

I was outbid at the last second on the rear brake kit I was looking at, but correct me if I’m wrong, I think the summit kit referenced above by @Mustang5L5 requires sn95 axles for proper caliper/rotor clearance?? And in turn, using sn95 axles will affect what backspacing and offset will allow wheels to fit. I’m starting to get confused again.

Another quick question, the yard I found my spindles at also had a very clean set of black leather front seats out of an ‘03 gt. Only thing is, it’s a convertible. I was unable to find any info on how they might fit in my hatch. At 200$ for the pair I’d love to get them in my car, but unsure of vert seats in my hatch. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

@bird_dog0347 ,
I was outbid at the last second on the rear brake kit I was looking at, but correct me if I’m wrong, I think the summit kit referenced above by @Mustang5L5 requires sn95 axles for proper caliper/rotor clearance?? And in turn, using sn95 axles will affect what backspacing and offset will allow wheels to fit. I’m starting to get confused again.

Yes, but there is a method of cutting the axle brackets and mounting them on the inside of the axle flange that allows you to run the setup with fox-length axles, which you want to do with 9" rims.

Google "SN95 cut axle brackets" and you'll see what I mean

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...s-and-stock-sn95-brake-brackets.859972/page-2

Reactions: 1 user
And a couple pics of the stang while I was waiting.

Dirty and stock besides the corroded CAI and full exhaust of unknown manufacturer. Strut towers are solid as far as I can see so far.
532D0E4F-2205-4D2B-8FEF-6B73361F5201.jpeg

Original hood insulation. As soon as I can put it inside, I’ll be removing everything and cleaning and assessing.
B8CDFBA8-AC60-4CD4-AE74-A7CB1AA58DB0.jpeg

This side has been compounded with Maguires ultimate above the mouldings. Still needs polish and wax and I think it’ll be satisfactory until I can save for a professional paint job.

6EF3428C-4498-44B7-86B4-7A2D8C3DF886.jpeg

This side has only been washed, no compound.

F5737939-BD56-4AE8-9F9D-487972E126E7.jpeg

And the rear. Very little corrosion that I can find. Even under the car is relatively clean. I pulled the oval off because it had seen better days. I also pulled the 5.0’s off just because of the grime around all the badges. I usually debadge all my vehicles because I find it a cleaner look. No telling what my final plans for badges on this one will be.

F49107C6-1217-48B3-BAFA-BA683E61B390.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
So, I’m collecting parts for the car. I’ve decided to start on the rear end and make my way forward. Specifically starting with the differential. With the trick flow top end kit will I prefer the 3.55 or 3.73 gears? I will definitely be on the highway sometimes and would rather not have super high revs at 80mph for extended periods of time.

Second question, what are your thoughts on Fox length, 31 spline Moser axles with the SN95 flange? They seem like a fair price and I’m not aware of others with the Fox length and newer flange to accommodate the cobra brakes.

Thanks guys.

With the TFS cam, you'll probably want the 3.73's.

You can run fox length axles cut cutting and flipping the SN95 brackets to the opposite side of the axle, or purchase offset brackets from north race cars. Google search "Sn95 cut axle brackets" and you should get hits showing how it's done.

I personally would just buy the NRC brackets, and offset it by selling the cobra Sn95 axle brackets.

Thanks. I know the gearing debate is age old. I was leaning toward the 3.73’s, just didn’t want to be sorry and really only want to do that job once.

As far as the brakes, that was my exact plan. I’ll get the kit and NRC brackets and try to sell the ford brackets. Especially since the moan brackets by themselves cost a small fortune.

After researching the ultimate brake thread, I’m still undecided on the front calipers. With the 93 cobra MC and booster, will I prefer 94-94 calipers or the 99-04? I realize the pistons are different sizes which result in different pedal feel. Sorry for the redundancy, I just want to be absolutely certain I’m getting the right parts.

The first thing I bought for my car arrived today. My previous fox bodies never had one of these. Just a little wear on the cover but the insidey-parts are minty.

There will be a steady stream of parts coming in over the next couple weeks to get this rear end sorted. I’ll keep you posted.

Unfortunately we are having several days of rain and the garage construction has been pushed back a week. I’m trying to be patient.

FA8666D3-02C6-4F78-A733-88C87BA26CFF.jpeg

I used a 1998 v6 master cylinder and proportioning valve with a 93 cobra booster on my IRS swapped notch with 04 cobra front and rear brakes. The brakes work great !!!