Dave's speed racing saga is now officially over

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
- Speed Racing (Exhibition of Speed), Not Guilty
- Driving while uninsured, Not Guilty
- Failure to carry proof of insurance, Guilty (Suspended fine)
- Illegal U-Turn, Guilty, $141 fine

Of course, what's ironic is that I absolutely did not make an illegal U-turn, I was far more guilty of the Exhibition of Speed. But I guess if I had to choose which one would go on my record, the answer is obvious.

So be careful everyone, the speed racing statute is written very vaguely, and you are all technically guilty of it each and every time you accelerate. Don't give any reason to a cop to pull you over, and definitely avoid really loud exhaust. I went by this cop with my foot a little too much on the gas, and my exhaust was "uncorked", if you get my drift...

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

chucko said:
Did you have an attorney or just go to court and take your chances? Was anyone else there besides the cop, the judge, and you?
No attorney, decided I would risk defending myself. When I started, it was just me, the cop, judge, and court clerk. Towards the end of my session, the next person in line came in and sat down in the back of the room.

And to anybody who wonders if the cop might not show up for court -- that's unlikely, at least in Hillsboro. They scheduled the court cases so that they were all his, one after another -- he probably spent his entire day in court. I'd say he's unlikely to miss that kind of appointment.

Dave