Directional tire rotating wrong way..Bad?

dp88

Oct 30, 2008
I have to move a directional tire from the pass rear to driver front for a short while will it be ok or should i flip the tire so it is rotating the right way. just dont want to pay for a mount if i dont have to.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is just temporary, say for a few days, then it would be OK. My full size spare is mounted with a directional tire and I use it whenever I have a tire in for repairs or a flat. I just wouldn't drive on it in rain or be VERY careful, since the directional tread is designed for wet weather to be turning in the correct way.

If it is just temporary, say for a few days, then it would be OK. My full size spare is mounted with a directional tire and I use it whenever I have a tire in for repairs or a flat. I just wouldn't drive on it in rain or be VERY careful, since the directional tread is designed for wet weather to be turning in the correct way.

+1

For the most part, directional road tires are strictly critical only to water dispersion, though running a directional tire backwards can also accelerate tread wear or cause a reduction in grip performance. If its just temporary, the only thing you really have to worry about is driving in the rain, where hydroplaning would be a concern.