Do mustangs have rev limiters?

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
I am not used to my new 02 with 3:55 gears (came with it) and 1st gear wraps up really quick. Every so often I'll try to go be ear to shift and when I do look down the tach is buried in the red (7K rpm). I have done this only a few times but hope I didnt screw anything up. Does the Mustang have a rev limiter that it will bounce off if I hit it or will it just blow the engine? My G35 I sold had a rev limiter so I knew that it would catch the RPM's if I shifted too late.

• Sponsors (?)

spederman said:
I am not used to my new 02 with 3:55 gears (came with it) and 1st gear wraps up really quick. Every so often I'll try to go be ear to shift and when I do look down the tach is buried in the red (7K rpm). I have done this only a few times but hope I didnt screw anything up. Does the Mustang have a rev limiter that it will bounce off if I hit it or will it just blow the engine? My G35 I sold had a rev limiter so I knew that it would catch the RPM's if I shifted too late.

yea they do but i wouldn't go reving that high because the car isn't pulling any harder that high in the rpm's, and your just hurting it.

I know there is a rev limiter on the fox bodies and sn95 thats set at 6250...but it doesnt sound like a ricer-type limiter....its much more subtle. You wont be doing any serious damage hitting the limiter once in a while (thats what its there for) but i wouldnt make any sort of habbit out of it. Sorry im not familiar enough with the 99+ stangs, but 6200 sounds way to low for your motors! hope this helps

try2catchmy99 said:
Yes they do have a rev limiter, im not exactly sure what the exact rpm is but its not past 6200. The previous owner must have removed the limiter with a programmer or chip. 7 grand is not a good place to be on a stock 2 valve.
Exactly.

what happens when you do hit it? Does it cut power or just keep it revving really high like at 6250? cause if i did hit it, its not like my G used to be and bounce off it and keep doing it over and over.

spederman said:
I am not used to my new 02 with 3:55 gears (came with it) and 1st gear wraps up really quick.

You think 1st gear wraps up quick with 3.55's, try driving one with 4.10's or numarically higher! :rlaugh:

spederman said:
what happens when you do hit it? Does it cut power or just keep it revving really high like at 6250? cause if i did hit it, its not like my G used to be and bounce off it and keep doing it over and over.

7,000 :eek: :nonono:

Someone had your rev limiter re-programmed WAAAAAAAAY to high if your hitting 7K and not noticing it! :rlaugh: Just shift at no more than 5,600 and you'll be shifting before you just start to make more noise, losing power and going slower.

Keep letting her wind to 7k and you going to have one hell of a mess to clean up! :owned:

spederman said:
most rev limiters I've seen work in two ways, they are all controlled by the ECU on modern EFI engines. And they will either close the injectors or reduce the spark from the coil/ignition pack. There are other methods as well.

Most 2v limiters are 6050 from the factory. Ford uses a fuel cutoff, which is harmless contrary to popular belief to limit revs. They go so lean that there is not enough energy to hurt anything.

FWIW, Ford tests cars by driving them and holding them on the limiter for 30 minutes straight.

it will bounce back if its stock, but its still not good, the best place to shift is around 5000-5200 depending on mods, 5500 is actually makes you slower, if your motor is set to rev higher and can handle it then go higher, you want to hit the max hp on shifts, not max rpms

Mirrahasmycar said:
it will bounce back if its stock, but its still not good, the best place to shift is around 5000-5200 depending on mods, 5500 is actually makes you slower, if your motor is set to rev higher and can handle it then go higher, you want to hit the max hp on shifts, not max rpms

Makes sense to me as the sohc 4.6 stops making power around 5-5.2k unless it's been modified. So why push the engine past the top of the power curve.

Mirrahasmycar said:
It really depends on the car. I own a '01 GT with basic mods:
- or h-pipe with catbacks
- 4.10s

My car WANTS to rev. It just keeps pulling until 5800-6000 RPM. Please refer to this graph:
View attachment 516923

The area under the power curve is actually HIGHER if I shift at 6000 RPM.