Progress Thread Down For A Decade - Got The Job!

I just found this thread, so comments might be not timed well.
How about steel pallet straps to hold that stock block together??? Seriously, I have heard of strengthened blocks that cost less than Dart. Except I tossed the article (follow up story below). See what Ford is offering.

I took my engine bay partially apart for a new harmonic balancer and missing emission parts replacement, oh, about three years ago. I ran into two bumps. And I have not had another health issue break since. Now we are moving, and I am planning on driving it to the new place if I have to kidnap my favorite mechanics after hours!
Stuff happens, I hope you are making good stuff happen now!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Fresh updates @Davedacarpainter ! I finally grew a pair and cut into the car. I think I got most of it out now, going to sandblast the area around it and make sure all of the surrounding metal is still good. Then I have to cut the donor car up and piece it all back together. Take a look:
4-7pL6ZW9zlRjBVXtao2AVhRmPENnK5J370vUXm4B2MgGBCxRX8ha8JmbzUqXucSCc50MWxAil8Xoxwi-xT=w676-h901-no.jpg

hLRn6A3YRoHeAs40zgU-WhD0YcnNQPvmi0PsdbwL3AOuV5Wote-0rHlD8GsK__CvWS5XE5YUPphHwx_Cjrx=w676-h901-no.jpg

GUMOMsSpaAsNYWGmYi73to5HyQz07kpz3yf9Iwb3hndbvfsSf9sJoLHQEk5jnzx7MjNlZ87j74_0iiNdJh3=w676-h901-no.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know if you're using spot weld cutters from Harbor Freight, but if so. There's a tiny screw that controls the tension on the pilot point. I've found them to back out sometimes causing the cutter to walk. Tighten it a little, and you're back in business. I agree with you about lubricating the cutter, makes them last a long time. Another tip on that type of cutter, is use one of those toothbrush size wire brushes (Harbor Freight) to clean the chips out of the barrel. Just spin the cutter over the brush and it'll clean it right out.

Bossed
Thanks for the tips! I went with the Blair spot weld cutter and it doesn't seem to have a problem with the set screw. I've found that if you aren't perfectly perpendicular to the surface then the bit wants to walk. That makes it very hard when the pinch weld you are drilling is at an angle. It's pretty tricky to get into curved and tight areas. I think I'm a pro at spot welds by now, lol.

I just found this thread, so comments might be not timed well.
How about steel pallet straps to hold that stock block together??? Seriously, I have heard of strengthened blocks that cost less than Dart. Except I tossed the article (follow up story below). See what Ford is offering.

I took my engine bay partially apart for a new harmonic balancer and missing emission parts replacement, oh, about three years ago. I ran into two bumps. And I have not had another health issue break since. Now we are moving, and I am planning on driving it to the new place if I have to kidnap my favorite mechanics after hours!
Stuff happens, I hope you are making good stuff happen now!
I appreciate the comments! Life always wants to get in the way of our hobby, but we have to keep on grinding. Good luck with your move, I know how stressful that can be when you're knee deep in a project.

Fresh updates @Davedacarpainter ! I finally grew a pair and cut into the car. I think I got most of it out now, going to sandblast the area around it and make sure all of the surrounding metal is still good. Then I have to cut the donor car up and piece it all back together. Take a look:
4-7pL6ZW9zlRjBVXtao2AVhRmPENnK5J370vUXm4B2MgGBCxRX8ha8JmbzUqXucSCc50MWxAil8Xoxwi-xT=w676-h901-no.jpg

hLRn6A3YRoHeAs40zgU-WhD0YcnNQPvmi0PsdbwL3AOuV5Wote-0rHlD8GsK__CvWS5XE5YUPphHwx_Cjrx=w676-h901-no.jpg

GUMOMsSpaAsNYWGmYi73to5HyQz07kpz3yf9Iwb3hndbvfsSf9sJoLHQEk5jnzx7MjNlZ87j74_0iiNdJh3=w676-h901-no.jpg
Excellent job brother! Blast this area specifically, it looks ugly in the picture, but may not be too bad in real life.
IMG_0515.JPG
Did you look down into the pillar towards the bottom hinge with a penlight?

It looks better than i expected.

Excellent job brother! Blast this area specifically, it looks ugly in the picture, but may not be too bad in real life.
IMG_0515.JPG
Did you look down into the pillar towards the bottom hinge with a penlight?

It looks better than i expected.
Thanks man! It did look a lot better than I expected underneath everything. The area you circled does look pretty rough in pics, but I made a small cut and peeled that section back so I could see in between the two layers and I could see clean metal. The inside of the pillar looks great too. I'm going to sandblast and then start fabbing up little pieces. Can you talk to me a little about how to prevent this from ever happening again!!!? I'm going to use weld thru primer on all the edges and underneath the metal when I'm putting it back together. Then should I do a rust encapsulator and then some type of sealer? My long term goal is to get it painted the factory color again, I'm shopping around for someone to spray it.

I appreciate all of your help so far, I feel like I'm just talking to you sometimes, lol. Everyone else will come back in when we stop talking about boring rust and move on to the go fast goodies!

There are rust encapsulators that have a flexible wand so you can spray it up inside the pillar after it's welded. I highly recommend this. It's as simple as sticking the nozzle in the hinge holes and rotating it while spraying. (I know this comment will get some of the baser guys here chuckling like Beavis and Butthead).

The outside will need etch primer after your through doing the metal and bodywork. Then just regular refinishing process of primering, blocking and painting..

There's something about sheetmetal repair work that i find deeply soothing.

Then I watch someone do paint and bodywork and I just feel dread and despair. :confused:

Keep up the hard work man, you're off to a god start!

There's something about sheetmetal repair work that i find deeply soothing.

Then I watch someone do paint and bodywork and I just feel dread and despair. :confused:

Keep up the hard work man, you're off to a god start!
Thanks for the comments man! It's good to see you around again. I enjoyed following your build, lurking in the shadows, haha. You are one of the reasons I now own a pair of TFS 11R 205cc heads for my 302 block engine build. I'm tossing around a few ideas in my head, but I seem to have commitment issues as well. More on that later...

Cutting up the car was kind of exciting, now I'm left with the not so fun part. It definitely takes a special kind of person to enjoy paint and bodywork. Mad respect to @Davedacarpainter . I'm going to need a lot of beer to get through this. I keep thinking about banging gears to keep me going. Can't I just bolt shiny stuff together!?

Last edited:
I'm tired of talking about rust, here's a few pics of other progress I've made in the meantime:

My buddy welded up the plates for the lower battle boxes. I didn't install the upper battle boxes because I will be switching to a panhard/torque arm setup in the future, eliminating the uppers.
hVOpp3a4asLFlkKPQ6nC-NCSq2_fyXNqc2YZWENUPh7ThW4Dn9eNnDzOoU-3YGQ7YHZxWdnlQq5zEMQBZy=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Swapped in a tilt column
Z7aLwjq84jmK657mg9vWtC-j-7esjfkKD9B8vJP89eLTiPtk7W_geaYNwU_RBRFm47bxDiG9sixdwE-Unhg=w618-h348-no.jpg

Scored at the junkyard last week, 5 lug parts. I already have 95 spindles that I pulled last time
H4XPR9mvtnWuO9OrJ6sbqRvGdLfS6854MqsKc2GArv81oq-R0uggMJRmfoJAxcTvYMg9vnqKbcrSUTunz5M=w713-h950-no.jpg

Teaser pic... Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes
63bCGAS2z7tw3L2jRpRIKdwO9bvfYlDKHMHKFIf543s5cbNTs7tzdMHEvrc6bVlG2YhCTiZ2JqOGX5ybCR=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
For the past few days I've been immersing myself in other members build threads. Page after page of incredibly hard work and great ideas coming to life. While this has been extremely helpful to motivate and inspire my own build, it's also got me completely frustrated. How in the world am I even going to come close to the absolutely amazing foxes on here. I don't need to name names, but we can all think of a few cars on here that are leaps and bounds ahead of other cars. So how do I make my car nice enough so that I won't be embarrassed parking next to them!? Seeing all the money that is spent on here makes my head spin. To say I'm jealous is an understatement. I know this isn't a contest, but who doesn't want their car to be the nicest.

I thought I had a vision for my car and then I see someone else's car and it clouds mine and makes me want to start over again. This has been a long and drawn out process already, and I don't want to drag it out another 10 years, but I want to do everything right while the car is this far apart. I have a problem with things snowballing out of control. I was looking at rotisseries last night and feel like if I've gone this far, I should just flip the car on it side and take it to the next level. I should have had this thing together years ago, but my desire to make it perfect is holding me back. I'm having a hard time prioritizing what will make me truly happy with my car too. I drool over smooth engine bays and show quality paint jobs and then I'm convinced I need to blow the budget on paint. And then I see a 9 second streetable fox and I'm convinced I need to buy a Dart block and just run the car in primer or plastidip. I've changed my mind so many times that it's getting ridiculous. How do you guys come up with a plan and stick to it? How do you prioritize what will make you happy?

This project has been going on for so long that I've already bought and sold enough parts to build another whole mustang. The project started in FL, so I had plans for a carb, off road exhaust, and weld rodlites. More of a drag car since you can get away without emissions checks in FL. Then I moved to NC and realized that I couldn't get away with running that setup on the street. Well, I probably could but it would stress me out every year at inspection time. So then I realized I had to go EFI and started selling my carb parts. Realizing it would take $$$ to upgrade my stock EFI system, I started looking at the Holley Terminator EFI. I can keep the 4150 manifold and just swap fuel pumps. This seemed like a better plan than trying to upgrade the EEC-IV system piece by piece and would allow me more room to grow and better tuning capabilities.

For the rest of the engine, I started with plans for a quick hone on my 90k mile block(excellent condition) and dropping in standard bore Probe dome pistons (+8cc). I picked them up for under $200 when they were liquidating stock after closing last year. I also prematurely bought a set of 11R 205cc 56cc comp ported heads when I found a local deal I couldn't pass up. I'm not going to get into the big head/small cube conversation again, I'm keeping the heads to grow into eventually. I don't know my piston to deck clearance, but the rest of the compression calculations say I'll be around 11.4 to 1. Is that too much for pump gas on the street? Putting together an engine using the stock crank again makes me a little sad though when a stroker can give you so much more power. Living in Nascar country, I'm a high RPM N/A kind of guy and I don't think the 50 oz crank will be happy at all over 6k rpm, but I can't really speak from experience. So then these thoughts lead me to wanting a forged 347 rotating assembly that I can rev to the moon and take to my next build after I split the block, hopefully a Dart. Doing the high compression 302 is obviously cheaper than buying a stroker kit and having the block machined, but will I be happy with it? It could save me enough to afford the paint job I really want, but idk. Should I just slap the 302 together and see what happens? I don't have to make any hard decisions on the engine yet, but I have to keep moving on it so it will be ready to drop in when I need it.

So here's my major struggle right now, do I get a quality paint job now or just start to slap it back together and start driving the damn thing? My heart tells me I want to paint it now, but I'm not sure my wallet agrees. What does the average paint job cost? $3-5k? I've convinced myself I need to keep it the factory color, Reef Blue, so I know that will probably be a little more pricey. Can I get away with spraying the door jambs and windshield channels the factory color while it's apart now and then paint the rest later? Do those areas usually get clear coated? I really want a shaved bay too. The work is definitely worth the reward when you pop the hood your jaw drops. Can you paint different parts of the car at different times? Or is that just asking for trouble? I know you can get away with doing solid colors that way, but I think the Reef Blue has some flake in it too. Or just smooth the bay now and primer it and paint the whole car at once later? I like how Scott painted his car piece by piece but I don't know if that would work with a color. I'm sorry, all over the place....

If you made it this far, thanks for listening. Sometimes it just helps to talk it through out loud. I'm really terrible at planning and I keep changing my damn mind. I need to just come up with a plan and stick to it. I keep making my list longer and longer when it should be getting shorter at this point. I feel a little better knowing that I have to be going downhill soon, because there isn't much else I can possibly take off the car. So the next steps have to be putting it back together, right? This is getting overwhelming to say the least. I know everyone just wants to see pics and shiny stuff, but I'd love to hear how you struggle with you projects too. Let's support each other in this maddening and expensive hobby. Is it 5pm yet, I need a beer...

Reactions: 2 users
The only person's who's opinion matters is yours. It's your money, and your car, so really what do you want to do? But I understand factoring in the budget aspect of things. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd do a rotisserie resto, change the color of my car to Redfire Metallic, and drop in a Coyote engine. But I can't, so I set my goals to something I can accomplish. And yes, it changed a few times along the way, but that's what the hobby is...the journey, not necessarily the end result

Reactions: 3 users
I wanted to build a bad a#$ turbo car with a smooth engine bay and a polished IRS. I wanted a custom paint job and t tops installed. A full brand new interior was also on the list.

My pocket screamed, " NO " !!!!

Sure, I make enough if I dropped every penny into it and lived in a tent. The reality is in time my car will be great, but right now, I just want it running, driving, and cool.

Its like playing with the big kids...I'll get there...when I grow up a little more.

The guys with these awesome cars seem to enjoy building them more than they would enjoy actually driving them. I'm not saying they don't drive them, rather they get more enjoyment out of the pains of building and fabrication..... Or they've got money out the wazoo.

I want to drive my car just like my last car...from Maryland to Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, and anywhere else. A highway blemish won't cause me a heart attack....neither will my not so perfect exterior.

If I win the lottery that may change...right now, that's how I'm living...not spectacular but drive able, and cool.

Once your car is back running and driving it stops being a yard ornament. If time permits you can always make it better as long as the work you do now is good work. Paint can come later...hp can come later. As long as the bones are good and it runs your way ahead of where you are now.

For the past few days I've been immersing myself in other members build threads. Page after page of incredibly hard work and great ideas coming to life. While this has been extremely helpful to motivate and inspire my own build, it's also got me completely frustrated. How in the world am I even going to come close to the absolutely amazing foxes on here. I don't need to name names, but we can all think of a few cars on here that are leaps and bounds ahead of other cars. So how do I make my car nice enough so that I won't be embarrassed parking next to them!? Seeing all the money that is spent on here makes my head spin. To say I'm jealous is an understatement. I know this isn't a contest, but who doesn't want their car to be the nicest.

I thought I had a vision for my car and then I see someone else's car and it clouds mine and makes me want to start over again. This has been a long and drawn out process already, and I don't want to drag it out another 10 years, but I want to do everything right while the car is this far apart. I have a problem with things snowballing out of control. I was looking at rotisseries last night and feel like if I've gone this far, I should just flip the car on it side and take it to the next level. I should have had this thing together years ago, but my desire to make it perfect is holding me back. I'm having a hard time prioritizing what will make me truly happy with my car too. I drool over smooth engine bays and show quality paint jobs and then I'm convinced I need to blow the budget on paint. And then I see a 9 second streetable fox and I'm convinced I need to buy a Dart block and just run the car in primer or plastidip. I've changed my mind so many times that it's getting ridiculous. How do you guys come up with a plan and stick to it? How do you prioritize what will make you happy?

This project has been going on for so long that I've already bought and sold enough parts to build another whole mustang. The project started in FL, so I had plans for a carb, off road exhaust, and weld rodlites. More of a drag car since you can get away without emissions checks in FL. Then I moved to NC and realized that I couldn't get away with running that setup on the street. Well, I probably could but it would stress me out every year at inspection time. So then I realized I had to go EFI and started selling my carb parts. Realizing it would take $$$ to upgrade my stock EFI system, I started looking at the Holley Terminator EFI. I can keep the 4150 manifold and just swap fuel pumps. This seemed like a better plan than trying to upgrade the EEC-IV system piece by piece and would allow me more room to grow and better tuning capabilities.

For the rest of the engine, I started with plans for a quick hone on my 90k mile block(excellent condition) and dropping in standard bore Probe dome pistons (+8cc). I picked them up for under $200 when they were liquidating stock after closing last year. I also prematurely bought a set of 11R 205cc 56cc comp ported heads when I found a local deal I couldn't pass up. I'm not going to get into the big head/small cube conversation again, I'm keeping the heads to grow into eventually. I don't know my piston to deck clearance, but the rest of the compression calculations say I'll be around 11.4 to 1. Is that too much for pump gas on the street? Putting together an engine using the stock crank again makes me a little sad though when a stroker can give you so much more power. Living in Nascar country, I'm a high RPM N/A kind of guy and I don't think the 50 oz crank will be happy at all over 6k rpm, but I can't really speak from experience. So then these thoughts lead me to wanting a forged 347 rotating assembly that I can rev to the moon and take to my next build after I split the block, hopefully a Dart. Doing the high compression 302 is obviously cheaper than buying a stroker kit and having the block machined, but will I be happy with it? It could save me enough to afford the paint job I really want, but idk. Should I just slap the 302 together and see what happens? I don't have to make any hard decisions on the engine yet, but I have to keep moving on it so it will be ready to drop in when I need it.

So here's my major struggle right now, do I get a quality paint job now or just start to slap it back together and start driving the damn thing? My heart tells me I want to paint it now, but I'm not sure my wallet agrees. What does the average paint job cost? $3-5k? I've convinced myself I need to keep it the factory color, Reef Blue, so I know that will probably be a little more pricey. Can I get away with spraying the door jambs and windshield channels the factory color while it's apart now and then paint the rest later? Do those areas usually get clear coated? I really want a shaved bay too. The work is definitely worth the reward when you pop the hood your jaw drops. Can you paint different parts of the car at different times? Or is that just asking for trouble? I know you can get away with doing solid colors that way, but I think the Reef Blue has some flake in it too. Or just smooth the bay now and primer it and paint the whole car at once later? I like how Scott painted his car piece by piece but I don't know if that would work with a color. I'm sorry, all over the place....

If you made it this far, thanks for listening. Sometimes it just helps to talk it through out loud. I'm really terrible at planning and I keep changing my damn mind. I need to just come up with a plan and stick to it. I keep making my list longer and longer when it should be getting shorter at this point. I feel a little better knowing that I have to be going downhill soon, because there isn't much else I can possibly take off the car. So the next steps have to be putting it back together, right? This is getting overwhelming to say the least. I know everyone just wants to see pics and shiny stuff, but I'd love to hear how you struggle with you projects too. Let's support each other in this maddening and expensive hobby. Is it 5pm yet, I need a beer...

First, everyone gets overwhelmed and lost on car builds...its normal

Now onto some of questions
I would paint it now for a bunch of reasons. Look at my build, I got it running great and now I just drive it (everywhere), but its looks like a $1500, 50 shades of grey project car. Go ahead and make your product represent your expectation of what you think it should look like. I understand the thought process of get it running then paint....but you actually cause yourself twice the amount of work because you have to dissemble for paint.

For the engine if the 90k engine isn't dissembled (or does it already have the probe pistons installed?) and is in stock form. Find a stock top end (like there are E7s and stock intakes for $50 bucks in our area) slap it on and ensure everything is copasetic with wring and such while building your dream engine on the side (this is just my opinion).

If you wanted a painter in your area (I think your around Charlotte) give Sam at Out of the Pasture a call. They are reasonable and have almost everything you will need.

Lastly not to throw a wrench in your plans, but a 351 is cheaper than a Dart block:thinking::rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, yep, it is a disease.:D

Same problems for me too. Let me tell you what has recently cured my sickness. Over at corral there is a thread of an absolutely stunning coupe. So stunning that I won't be able to recreate it. I was doing fine until the guy smoothed his undercarriage. HIS UNDERCARRIAGE!

Don't get me wrong, it's stunning. It's just what I needed to see to flip the light switch off though.

When you look at Scott's beautiful car, it's hard to not want to replicate that (except for when he washed his cylinder walls down!). The thing is, I have the ability to do those things. What Scott had that I don't is that he wasn't married when he did that. No kids or grandkids to take his attention from the goal. Nor, the most expensive of all, a wife.

I praise Scott for his attention to detail, and in a fantasy world I would like to do the same. And I could if the wife and my youngest kids would just move on with their lives....:eek:

Reactions: 2 users
I'd rather have a slower car that looked great over a super fast car that looked only OK. Builds spiral out of control fast when you keep looking at what other people are doing or have done. You need to focus on what you want and if you want too much you need to sort out if you really want another 5+ years working on this and getting burnt out and ditching this car for a big financial loss. I'd focus on handling (brakes, suspension, wheels) and looks (like paint, engine bay smoothing, wire tuck). Then down the road you can add horse power. Heck, just a 302 with HCI and a blower gets you in the 420+ rwhp range which is a lot while keeping some reliability.

Wow, yep, it is a disease.:D

Same problems for me too. Let me tell you what has recently cured my sickness. Over at corral there is a thread of an absolutely stunning coupe. So stunning that I won't be able to recreate it. I was doing fine until the guy smoothed his undercarriage. HIS UNDERCARRIAGE!

Don't get me wrong, it's stunning. It's just what I needed to see to flip the light switch off though.

When you look at Scott's beautiful car, it's hard to not want to replicate that (except for when he washed his cylinder walls down!). The thing is, I have the ability to do those things. What Scott had that I don't is that he wasn't married when he did that. No kids or grandkids to take his attention from the goal. Nor, the most expensive of all, a wife.

I praise Scott for his attention to detail, and in a fantasy world I would like to do the same. And I could if the wife and my youngest kids would just move on with their lives....:eek:
Don't forget that guy with the red coupe also smoothed his ENGINE BLOCK!! That's crazy too! In the end that's nice and all but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving that car to Walmart to pick up some odds'n ends. I'm happy I finished this winter without attacking my engine bay with my welder :D

The only person's who's opinion matters is yours. It's your money, and your car, so really what do you want to do? But I understand factoring in the budget aspect of things. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd do a rotisserie resto, change the color of my car to Redfire Metallic, and drop in a Coyote engine. But I can't, so I set my goals to something I can accomplish. And yes, it changed a few times along the way, but that's what the hobby is...the journey, not necessarily the end result

Thanks man, I think I went too far down the rabbit hole on builds that I can never replicate. I need to keep focus on what I can actually accomplish and enjoy the journey. I respect that coming from you because I know you've had your car a long time and have had your ups and downs and changed your mind as well. I know in the end it's my opinion, I think I know what I want to do now.

I wanted to build a bad a#$ turbo car with a smooth engine bay and a polished IRS. I wanted a custom paint job and t tops installed. A full brand new interior was also on the list.

My pocket screamed, " NO " !!!!

Sure, I make enough if I dropped every penny into it and lived in a tent. The reality is in time my car will be great, but right now, I just want it running, driving, and cool.

Its like playing with the big kids...I'll get there...when I grow up a little more.

The guys with these awesome cars seem to enjoy building them more than they would enjoy actually driving them. I'm not saying they don't drive them, rather they get more enjoyment out of the pains of building and fabrication..... Or they've got money out the wazoo.

I want to drive my car just like my last car...from Maryland to Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, and anywhere else. A highway blemish won't cause me a heart attack....neither will my not so perfect exterior.

If I win the lottery that may change...right now, that's how I'm living...not spectacular but drive able, and cool.

Once your car is back running and driving it stops being a yard ornament. If time permits you can always make it better as long as the work you do now is good work. Paint can come later...hp can come later. As long as the bones are good and it runs your way ahead of where you are now.

Yeah, my pocket is always yelling at me too. I yell back and hear an echo! I know what you're saying about enjoying the car and driving it though. This will not be a trailer queen, but I want to be wiping drool marks off the paint job. I'm definitely not in a hurry at this point, so that's why I'm stressing myself to make sure I think of everything to do now, while the car is just a shell. I'm trying to enjoy the build as well, but I know I'll enjoy driving it even more. Thanks for chiming in, it's all of these different views that are helping me figure out what I need to do.