Progress Thread Down For A Decade - Got The Job!

Wow, yep, it is a disease.:D

Same problems for me too. Let me tell you what has recently cured my sickness. Over at corral there is a thread of an absolutely stunning coupe. So stunning that I won't be able to recreate it. I was doing fine until the guy smoothed his undercarriage. HIS UNDERCARRIAGE!

Don't get me wrong, it's stunning. It's just what I needed to see to flip the light switch off though.

When you look at Scott's beautiful car, it's hard to not want to replicate that (except for when he washed his cylinder walls down!). The thing is, I have the ability to do those things. What Scott had that I don't is that he wasn't married when he did that. No kids or grandkids to take his attention from the goal. Nor, the most expensive of all, a wife.

I praise Scott for his attention to detail, and in a fantasy world I would like to do the same. And I could if the wife and my youngest kids would just move on with their lives....:eek:

I got sucked into that thread and I think it had the complete opposite effect on me, it just made me want to do more and more! That car is unreal and I wish that I never saw it. I can't believe he smoothed his undercarriage, H*LY SH*T!!!

I've seen your work and it's incredible. It's the main reason I want to focus on paint. Your attention to detail is outstanding as well. I hope that someday I have an HVAC box half as nice as yours, lol. I have a wife but no kids, so I better hurry up before I have even more things holding me back too.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I would focus on paint while you have the car torn down as far as you do. It really only makes sense that way, being that you would have to tear it back down to that to do it right. That being said, maybe you dont need the absolute best paint job out there. I sure dont. I hate worrying that everywhere I go, I might get a scratch or a rock chip. Really just depends on your plans for the car. Are you going to be taking it to shows a lot, or cruising around town and parking in normal lots full of idiots?

Reactions: 2 users
First, everyone gets overwhelmed and lost on car builds...its normal

Now onto some of questions
I would paint it now for a bunch of reasons. Look at my build, I got it running great and now I just drive it (everywhere), but its looks like a $1500, 50 shades of grey project car. Go ahead and make your product represent your expectation of what you think it should look like. I understand the thought process of get it running then paint....but you actually cause yourself twice the amount of work because you have to dissemble for paint.

For the engine if the 90k engine isn't dissembled (or does it already have the probe pistons installed?) and is in stock form. Find a stock top end (like there are E7s and stock intakes for $50 bucks in our area) slap it on and ensure everything is copasetic with wring and such while building your dream engine on the side (this is just my opinion).

If you wanted a painter in your area (I think your around Charlotte) give Sam at Out of the Pasture a call. They are reasonable and have almost everything you will need.

Lastly not to throw a wrench in your plans, but a 351 is cheaper than a Dart block:thinking::rolleyes:

Thanks man, I was starting to feel far from normal! I completely agree with you on painting the car. I have to do it now, there's no way I'm taking it this far apart ever again. I'm going to shop around and see where I can get the best bang for my buck. I'm not dropping $5+k, but I think I can get it done for cheaper and still be near show quality. The good thing going for me is that my car is really straight, besides the stupid rusty hinge and trunk corners. It won't take a lot of bodywork to get it ready for paint. Unless I get the welder out in the engine bay...

That's funny you mentioned Sam. I'm going to see him at the Charlotte Auto Fair tomorrow. He cut a hinge off a fox for me to use on my car. I'll have to ask him about paint, I didn't know they did that.

If you can dodge a wrench, then you can dodge a ball!!! Sorry, no 351 for me, I'm an 8.2 kind of guy :cool:

I'd rather have a slower car that looked great over a super fast car that looked only OK. Builds spiral out of control fast when you keep looking at what other people are doing or have done. You need to focus on what you want and if you want too much you need to sort out if you really want another 5+ years working on this and getting burnt out and ditching this car for a big financial loss. I'd focus on handling (brakes, suspension, wheels) and looks (like paint, engine bay smoothing, wire tuck). Then down the road you can add horse power. Heck, just a 302 with HCI and a blower gets you in the 420+ rwhp range which is a lot while keeping some reliability.

Yeah, I couldn't stop looking at other builds and my brain was starting to go like a locomotive. I have way too much want and not enough scratch. I took a hard look though and I agree with you. I would rather drive a stock mustang with a $5k paint job than a primer mustang with a $5k engine. I don't really have $5k to spend on paint though, so I really need to see how far my budget can get me. I have some really good parts that should make a decent little 302 in the meantime too. Thanks man, I appreciate your opinion.

I think if you de-trim the car and get some body work done yourself it will help make your money go farther. Only good body work saves you money, bad body work just wastes time ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I would focus on paint while you have the car torn down as far as you do. It really only makes sense that way, being that you would have to tear it back down to that to do it right. That being said, maybe you dont need the absolute best paint job out there. I sure dont. I hate worrying that everywhere I go, I might get a scratch or a rock chip. Really just depends on your plans for the car. Are you going to be taking it to shows a lot, or cruising around town and parking in normal lots full of idiots?
Yeah, I agree with you that I should paint it now. It will be more of a sunny day/show car than a daily driver, so I want to spend more than just a econo paint job. I really need to go talk to a few shops and see what I can get or really what can I afford. Are you going to paint your car?

Yeah, I agree with you that I should paint it now. It will be more of a sunny day/show car than a daily driver, so I want to spend more than just a econo paint job. I really need to go talk to a few shops and see what I can get or really what can I afford. Are you going to paint your car?

I will not be painting mine anytime soon. I am a master with a rattle can, so that is all I plan on using to refinish the silver along the bottom of my car. That will get me by until I decide if I truely like the '03 Cobra bumper, and get a 408W bought and swapped in. When I end up painting my car, I dont ever see it being a rotisserie deal. I drive the :poo: out of my cars, so my paint would be exterior/jambs only.

I used to be a "go fast first" guy. Now nobody pays attention to a quick ugly street car unless it is insanely fast. That takes big $$.

I also just like nice cars. Ones that aren't over the top non driving show cars.

Finish fixing the body/rust. Paint it and get your ideal wheel/tire package-5 lug brakes/suspension done. I'd throw a stock 5.0 in and drive it while building your dream engine on the side. Take your time and try not to get discouraged.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks man, I was starting to feel far from normal! I completely agree with you on painting the car. I have to do it now, there's no way I'm taking it this far apart ever again. I'm going to shop around and see where I can get the best bang for my buck. I'm not dropping $5+k, but I think I can get it done for cheaper and still be near show quality. The good thing going for me is that my car is really straight, besides the stupid rusty hinge and trunk corners. It won't take a lot of bodywork to get it ready for paint. Unless I get the welder out in the engine bay...

That's funny you mentioned Sam. I'm going to see him at the Charlotte Auto Fair tomorrow. He cut a hinge off a fox for me to use on my car. I'll have to ask him about paint, I didn't know they did that.

If you can dodge a wrench, then you can dodge a ball!!! Sorry, no 351 for me, I'm an 8.2 kind of guy :cool:

Yeah Sam seems to be taking on more projects and people say his painter does good work. Just they are busy sometimes. They do the engine bay, motor and etc.

Here are a few I know of
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG

Robs coupe
IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

And Snot Rockets
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG

Also if you can't find a painter out there. There's one near New Bern and I know he can do a good job with Reef Blue coupe. This was 4 months ago, a buddy of mines.
IMG_4812.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah Sam seems to be taking on more projects and people say his painter does good work. Just they are busy sometimes. They do the engine bay, motor and etc.

Here are a few I know of
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG

Robs coupe
IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

And Snot Rockets
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG

Also if you can't find a painter out there. There's one near New Bern and I know he can do a good job with Reef Blue coupe. This was 4 months ago, a buddy of mines.
IMG_4812.JPG

Wow, looks like nice work! I'm shopping around this week and I'll have to ask him about painting my car. That reef looks nice! I think it would be too tricky to paint my car that far away from home though. I'll see if I can find someone local. Did you give that '17 back yet!? I saw your pics at Union Point Park, looks sweet.

I used to be a "go fast first" guy. Now nobody pays attention to a quick ugly street car unless it is insanely fast. That takes big $$.

I also just like nice cars. Ones that aren't over the top non driving show cars.

Finish fixing the body/rust. Paint it and get your ideal wheel/tire package-5 lug brakes/suspension done. I'd throw a stock 5.0 in and drive it while building your dream engine on the side. Take your time and try not to get discouraged.
I've always thought of myself as a go fast first kind of guy, but now I think I want clean lines and pretty paint. I went to the Charlotte Auto Fair this weekend and tried to look at every car from a new point of view. You know what stood out the most, the people that poured money into their paint. Oh, and the expensive wheels too haha. Thanks for your opinion, I totally agree. I'm shopping painters the next few weeks and then I'll be building a high compression 302 on the side. One day at a time!

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to thank you guys for chiming in with your opinions and talking me off the ledge. Who knew it could be this stressful and overwhelming building a stupid old car!? I took a hard look at my project and I think I'm back on track. Now is the time to invest in a killer paint job. I have the car farther apart than I ever have before and ever will again, so I have to take my time and make it right. I'm going to shop around at different body shops this week and see if I can get a ballpark budget for the paint job I want and see if that matches what I'll actually be able to afford. I know I'll have to settle a little bit, but maybe I can do enough work myself to get it down to a more affordable range.

I was able to get the back glass out this weekend. I can't really lift my arms over my head today though, man that was a lot of scraping! I started with the back after hearing horror stories about the front breaking from looking at it wrong. I'm going to try fishing line/wire for the front as soon as I work up enough courage. Then just a little more rust to cut out and onto the engine bay. Which brings up my next question, what did you guys use for for smoothing your bay? Scott rod panels, LMR panels or make your own? I know I'm about to open a door that I never wished I had, but having a smooth bay will be totally worth it. I'm searching for as many engine bay threads as I can find, but if you have any tips or tricks or learning lessons you want to share, feel free.

nIet295VokcnhUMBaCbQkUObXZuwxKL6cDF2QyjXoMszGr9tU2fU_4VIIzJtmtSqyEYcoGLszIXcwtpNJT=w1267-h950-no.jpg

DGWOUzGWK9BmBT7T2khqdxRZqXGuuercOvvVlilk8tERX9nPu3x93DDVBvw7MVsPv-wUIaM08BYVkAl-jR=w1267-h950-no.jpg

@Fordfreak93
Are you wanting to relocate the battery to the trunk? There are a lot of different ways to skin this cat so it's really up to you and what you like to see under there. I fab'd up my own sheet metal and welded them in, other have bought scott rod panels which is nice to do as well. Either way you do you aprons, once you weld them in, you plug weld all the other holes and grind everything down flat with an angle grinder. Then go over the seams with metal filler (Evercoat is what I used), then I evened things out with a light coat of bondo and then off to etch primer followed by filler primer.
imag2666-jpg.104969.jpg

100_1497-jpg.105558.jpg

imag2748-jpg.107548.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
@Fordfreak93
Are you wanting to relocate the battery to the trunk? There are a lot of different ways to skin this cat so it's really up to you and what you like to see under there. I fab'd up my own sheet metal and welded them in, other have bought scott rod panels which is nice to do as well. Either way you do you aprons, once you weld them in, you plug weld all the other holes and grind everything down flat with an angle grinder. Then go over the seams with metal filler (Evercoat is what I used), then I evened things out with a light coat of bondo and then off to etch primer followed by filler primer.
imag2666-jpg.104969.jpg

100_1497-jpg.105558.jpg

imag2748-jpg.107548.jpg
Wow, that looks great! Thanks for the pics! I have relocated the battery to the trunk and I'm strongly considering making my own panels. I don't like the crinkles in the LMR panels and the Scott Rod panels look too angular, when nothing else in the bay really does. I think I'll be happiest with making my own. Being in nascar country, there's a steel place on almost every corner so I should be able to get good prices.

Did you have to cut out these dips out that I circled to get them smooth? I also noticed you kept your sway bar brackets, are you still running one? I was thinking about switching to the SN95 style sway bar that mounts under the rails.
_w-lJVX2Ko4iRxW7amDblC-YBJn-Vfd7yCa3-Uqs6UwrSofRT6rVEjXdxRWodLtK53bowqITkh3AYvKxr3=w1202-h901-no.jpg

Wow, looks like nice work! I'm shopping around this week and I'll have to ask him about painting my car. That reef looks nice! I think it would be too tricky to paint my car that far away from home though. I'll see if I can find someone local. Did you give that '17 back yet!? I saw your pics at Union Point Park, looks sweet.

No I'm going to give it back after work, though the wife refuses to pick me up (she wants me to get it). Union Point Park was nice that day, made the car look orange almost tho.

I'll tell you what tho about that "17, it felt familiar but faster and more controlled.

BTW that reef blue car is for sale in that picture, he completely went through it

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for the pics! I have relocated the battery to the trunk and I'm strongly considering making my own panels. I don't like the crinkles in the LMR panels and the Scott Rod panels look too angular, when nothing else in the bay really does. I think I'll be happiest with making my own. Being in nascar country, there's a steel place on almost every corner so I should be able to get good prices.

Did you have to cut out these dips out that I circled to get them smooth? I also noticed you kept your sway bar brackets, are you still running one? I was thinking about switching to the SN95 style sway bar that mounts under the rails.
_w-lJVX2Ko4iRxW7amDblC-YBJn-Vfd7yCa3-Uqs6UwrSofRT6rVEjXdxRWodLtK53bowqITkh3AYvKxr3=w1202-h901-no.jpg
I cut my sheet metal to continue straight over those dips then cut other oblong half circle piece of steel to close that hole up. I unlike Dave (@Davedacarpainter ), did not remove my OEM aprons. I wanted the original aprons to screw, weld, and attach my wiring that I was tucking to.

On another note I see that you have a UPR K member. Lets talk about my frickin headache with that pile of crap I had this weekend. First, please check to see if your motor mount for the passenger side fits in the two elongated slots. Mine did not, they are too narrow. So I had to grind the stud off (see picture). Then I found out, after installing my engine and trans, that there is hardly any clearance for the power steering lines and the driver side motor mount. Thank goodness I have offset rack bushings or else the mount bolt and my rack would've been occupying the same space. I had to modify some stuff to make this work. I must have an old UPR K member from when they were putting out a poor product and stealing peoples money. Most likely I'll buy a Maximum Motorsports K member and throw the UPR in the trash. Anyways, please double check your K member early although it looks like you have a manual rack right now. Just in case you ever go back to power I would be cautious.
IMG_1570.JPG

@FoxMustangLvr Don't give me another reason, I am so close to pulling all this UPR junk off my car and throwing it in the trash as well. It might be better than a lot of other junk out there, but to me it's still junk. Quality and fitment is nowhere near the level of Maximum. I got an amazing deal on the full suspension through a friend who is a dealer (k-member, coil overs, a-arms, uppers and lowers) and it was some of the first parts that I bought for the car. Looking back, I totally regret getting their stuff. Scratches and poor powder coating on every single part right out of the box, not to mention the fitment is garbage. I had to wrestle my front arms in, the jig for the arms appeared to be off on both sides. I went to install the uppers and lowers in the rear and the powder coating was just flaking off. Apparently the sprayed right over rusty metal, you can see it bubbling up on all of my control arms. Fighting the rear end in was just that too, a fight. I feel like all of this crap is just a little bit off. Maybe I got the stuff that was made at 4:30pm on a Friday, looks like they didn't care enough to make it perfect. I'm going to check out the motor mounts tonight and if they don't fit...

Look at this junk...
iyEU0RUfecwaIilIgLBY84g5Go_KmKof13zBHwPxDzThTyAh-1BLBD47d-SfDs2W8EVbQiHzu03tIlj4RNN=w676-h901-no.jpg

MJ09QSe8P-UgsI_fOCFClydOSTCQi5pwyCTFc_IlwCZxOob_bXulMW4FWR_o_GUWIzT39CIqQerlJdCYElw=w676-h901-no.jpg

juG5nBt2Hc8lo7P1V4niKWwRnqnpoEMj8PJGfhSDSutRyWqLc6MrP-WawwuajM4e6chv9nCCmV4UUuYtg2G=w676-h901-no.jpg

CqGUOC1dRJYu5QAGVyby6MfTj2ommBwuBNQPKUPWWEnAVlRT_HGzPSFosLxl4tWa21Ar_tihlPWN7KeGedV=w676-h901-no.jpg

@Fordfreak93 My tabs for my control arms were off too. A BFH kinda cured that, should've taken a sawzall to it right then and there but I'm a gluten for punishment I suppose. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket but I just don't want to set this back another few weeks by replacing the K member right now. Maybe next winter I'll do it and just drop the K member under the car with the engine still supported from above.
Right now I want to :burnout: