E-brake swap: 1985 with a 1993 ebrake, how?

ShawnQ

Founding Member
Nov 6, 2001
Anyone have any idea if there is a simple way to install a 87+ ebrake into an 86 and older car?

I've got an 85 with a complete 87+ interioir, and I can't install the ashtray/ebrake section of the center console because the ebrake handle doesn't line up.

So, I either need to relocate it (I am a welder), or install a 87+ ebrake (which I have).

I wanted to see if there is a simple way to do it before I go cutting/welding on my car.

Thanks!
Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

I wasn't aware there was difference. Please explain what is different. It sounds like the whole handle assembly is in a different location, is this correct? I thought all '79-'92 cars were the same. I know the '93's were different because they have the '94 and newer style fixed equailizer for the cables.

I'm almost positive that this is the case:

The Pre-87 cars had the e-brake centered in the center console, right? The 87+ cars have the e-brake shifted to one side due to the ashtray.

If I try to install my 87+ ebrake/ashtray piece, it is offest to the left(drivers) side if I remember correctly.

Granted, it has been almost 2 years since my car has had an interior in it, so I could be forgetting which side. But, I do remember thinking that I had to swap the brake assembly.

my 93 has it on the right side of the console, but that's beside the point. is it possible to get an 85 console that matches the interior? that seems like the least invasive method to me.

if you want to use the new console, you'll need to use the new handle. You remember correct, the four eye'd layout has the handle in the center. The platform itself is the same, so there isn't any reason why you can't bolt down the new handle, except maybe that there aren't any holes to bolt to. I'd recommend drilling some new ones in that instance, as apposed to welding it down. They have a tendancy to loosen up over the years and miles, and start buzzing and vibrating- the only real solution is to get a new handle assembly and I wouldn't want to try to change it if it was welded in.

Jugador,

If I had the 87+ dash with an 85 console, they would not match up where they meet by the radio.

Stangbear,

I wasn't planning to weld the handle to the car. I was planning to weld/fill any holes in the floor that I had left after relocating the handle.

I do have a 91 e-brake handle, so I will probably go ahead and drill some holes, use the factory j-bolts, and mount it down. I'm just wondering how much of a hole I will have to make in the trans tunnel, or how much of a hole I will have left over.

Thanks!
shawn