Electric fan adjustable thermostat help

Proform
I installed the 15" electric fan for the 87-93 Mustang-I installed everything as
stated on the instruction sheet. The only thing I am having trouble with is knowing wich side to turn the dial to for the adjustable thermostat to the 180 degree mark. Wich side is it? Standing in front of the car is it to the left or right? I have run my car and let it get hot to where you cant touch the radiator and the fan will not activate, it will only activate when I turn on the A/C . I also placed the copper wire with the bulb right inside the radiator fins so it will sense the heat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

i never did get my thermostat to work correctly. would let the car get up to 210 degrees even though I set it on 160 degrees. I ended up wiring the a/c turn on wire to a relay and back to a switch inside the car. Now the fan comes on automatically when the car is cranked. If it is cold out, I turn it off until the car gets up to temp. I just use the mechanical thermostat to regulate the temp.

I returned 2 different adjustable t'stats that didn't work right. I finally got fixed temperature switches and use them to activate the fan relays so the system is automatic -- no fans running all the time, and I don't have to remember to switch anything on or off.

Once the car is hot, no matter which way or how far you turn the knob on the t'stat, you can't get it to activate the relay? IF that's the case it's either wired wrong, or the adj. t'stat is defective.

all the way to the right is higher degrees and all the way to the left is lower...when you dset it, start car and let it run till normal temp..turn the knob all the way to the right..turn it slowly to the left until the fan turns on..then turn it a little to the right turn make sure fan does not stay on while running at normal temp..it this doesnt work you did something wrong with the wiring or its defective.

snipizo said:
all the way to the right is higher degrees and all the way to the left is lower...when you dset it, start car and let it run till normal temp..turn the knob all the way to the right..turn it slowly to the left until the fan turns on..then turn it a little to the right turn make sure fan does not stay on while running at normal temp..it this doesnt work you did something wrong with the wiring or its defective.

What could I do wrong with the wiring? The fan does work when I turn on the A/C and of when I shut it off.

Ok finally worked, I guess I had'nt let it sit idle and get hot enough. I noticed the electric fan turned on on the R on the NORMAL, is that 180 degree mark? Any of you guys running the adjustable thermostat and the manual on/off switch at the same time? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks again.

LAZERREDGT said:
Ok finally worked, I guess I had'nt let it sit idle and get hot enough. I noticed the electric fan turned on on the R on the NORMAL, is that 180 degree mark? Any of you guys running the adjustable thermostat and the manual on/off switch at the same time? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks again.

I have some autozone 14'' fans on my car an run the adjustable thermo with a manual on/off switch. I only done that so i can turn on the fans to cool it off without the car running or being on. But you gotta remember to turn it on when you start the car lol i've forgot a few times when i first installed the fans an the temp got up around 280 on my autometer gauge smoke pouring outta the hood lol. Now i flip the switch before i even put the key in the ignition.

Also get you an aftermarket gauge, stock temp gauge is junk.........