Finalizing Engine Plans

Nov 29, 2004
Alright I've made a few posts regarding what my setup for the engine i plan to swap in this winter and i just have a few final questions about head/cam selection my currently planned setup was:
MPH Stage 2 1/2 Heads
VT Stage I cams
Dragon Upper Intake Plenum
Dragon 75mm TB
K&N FIPK
BBK Ceramic Coated Longtube Headers
VRS Offroad X-Pipe
4.10's

My plan is to stay n/a with a good amount of performance, but i have a few questions before I start ordering this setup. Would the vt stage II cams be too much cam for a daily driven car? I dont want the car to be really sluggish below 3k rpm. I know the VT stage II's would have a higher peak horsepower number (with the trade-off of having to rev the engine higher to achieve that number), but I'm not really interested in setting the rev limiter any higher then 6,400. I've talked with VT and they say that stage II's are fine in a daily driver, but i still have my concerns. My second question is regarding the 2.5 heads, are they overkill for a n/a car? I have heard that you can reach a point where you have ports that are too large for a n/a car to properly support. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Performance Red said:
....Would the vt stage II cams be too much cam for a daily driven car? I dont want the car to be really sluggish below 3k rpm. I know the VT stage II's would have a higher peak horsepower number (with the trade-off of having to rev the engine higher to achieve that number), but I'm not really interested in setting the rev limiter any higher then 6,400. ...

If you're going to get "stage 2.5" heads then get cams to match them, i.e, to get optimal performance in your rpm range. As someone already suggested it would be wise to go to MPH for custom grinds. 4.10's will give you more torque to the ground, even though you'll lose some low end engine torque from the bigger cams. Once you feel the top end pull you'll have no regrets.

As far as the ability of a 2v shortblock to withstand a decent level of rpms, my shifting was at 6500 rpms for the longest with 380+ rwhp (on an auto), and I know of 2 others who have shifted stock 2v shortblocks at 6500-6600 for 3+ years of drag racing. One of those cars is 430+ rwhp on a stock longblock - 4 years blown.