Full Frontal

Try buying a case of concentrated lemon juice, not the frozen stuff, but the stuff that comes in a bottle. Mix it about 50-50 with water and let the small parts soak in it for a week. They will be bare metal. A friend of mine filled up one of those plastic kiddie pools and soaked a rusty radiator support for his 59' Plymouth Savoy in it. The results were amazing.

• Sponsors (?)

Metal Rescue Results - 3 Hours Later

So after three hours it was more of the same, take the (lightly) rusted piece out of the juice, snap a few [bad] pictures, then with a wire brush agitate the rusty area a bit more, then use a clean new paper towel to wipe off the loose rust as to not pollute the solution... rinse, lather, repeat type a thing

judging by the dirty paper towel, I guess the rust is coming off, but after three hours I would have thought this piece would be "TV Commercial" clean, after all I would only consider it lightly surface rusted, wouldn't you?

DSCN9050.jpg

DSCN9051.jpg

DSCN9053.jpg

Metal Rescue Results - 1 [friggen] Week Later

Well here are the final results of the first test. All the rust is gone. Since I work on the car one day a week usually on Fridays or Saturdays, I don't know if the part was done on Monday, Wednesday, or if it really did take a week, know what I mean. But hey it's not like you are doing something to it the whole time, it is basically Set It And Forget It type a deal.

However this does bring up some questions:

What happens to the part while it marinates? Does the metal become weakened, does it become brittle?

If this is safe for the hands and rubber pieces, how come it removed paint?

How well will paint such as POR15 take to it?

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

DSCN9131.jpg

DSCN9133.jpg

Metal Rescue Results Summary

So here's another piece that was also soaked for 1 week. Keep in mind it was only half way submerged in the magic potion as it was too tall to do it in one shot.

Does Metal Rescue work? - Yes

Am I in love with it? - not really

Why not? - it is expensive, and not being acidic I have no idea how it works, so I don't trust it, what if a bunch of elves show up to my garage and wire brush the parts with tiny wire brushes allowing them to reach the crevices full sized human wire brushes don't reach, and then simply drop it back in the mixture for me to see

How long can it be reused for? - too early to answer that question, and it depends how contaminated it gets, I try to clean the pieces as much as possible before dumping them in

Would I recommend it? - sure based on the safety of it at least, just keep in mind your rustults (get it rustults instead of results) may vary, well I thought it was funny

DSCN9016.jpg

DSCN9138.jpg

back at it

wow, haven't touched the Stang in two weeks, seems like in for ever, had wife's side of the family visiting from Vancouver Canada so traded wrenches for silverware and ate our way through town, not complaining but noticing that you may think you can get that car done in 1 year by working on it on the weekends, but you'll be hard pressed to put in 52 consecutive weekends a year, even if you subtract Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, you still got birthdays, anniversaries, mother's days, fathers days (interestingly enough that means doing what the family wants to do, not what the dad wants to do - wrenchin'), valentine's day and what ever else artificially made up day to sell more Hallmark cards

anyway, the battery tray was toast so it had to come out

I went to a new Mustang shop here in town to get a new one, I like to pop in to new shops in order to check them out, but I don't want to just go in there and waste their time, so I go in with a legitimate need or want, like in this case, it don't matter how small as long as you plan on buying something is reason good enough for me, I like American Mustang, they are nothing fancy, just a warehouse with a desk in the front, that works for me, I am not big on shiny checkered floors with chrome racks selling pink thongs and Mustang salt and pepper shakers - well they got 10 battery trays on back order so I will just have to wait

DSCN9270.jpg

DSCN9272.jpg

DSCN9273.jpg

DSCN9275.jpg

wow, haven't touched the Stang in two weeks, seems like in for ever, had wife's side of the family visiting from Vancouver Canada so traded wrenches for silverware and ate our way through town, not complaining but noticing that you may think you can get that car done in 1 year by working on it on the weekends, but you'll be hard pressed to put in 52 consecutive weekends a year, even if you subtract Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, you still got birthdays, anniversaries, mother's days, fathers days (interestingly enough that means doing what the family wants to do, not what the dad wants to do - wrenchin'), valentine's day and what ever else artificially made up day to sell more Hallmark cards

Bingo-you have it all figured out now. That is one of the main reasons that my original 6 month body work project will probably extend to a full 9 months. My weekends must also included going out of state to a wedding (of people I have never met) and occasional weekend visits by my adult kids who live a long distance from here (so they deserve the time.) I try to supplement with a couple of hours here and there during the work week, but in the short term it doesn't add up to anything significant except for maybe setting myself up for whatever I need to do that coming weekend.

Rule #1--Gotta keep the family happy in order to earn some occasional play time.

Motor Mounts Removal

somebody pay attention cause I'll be calling on you to help me put these back the right way, you start off thinking well there's just the left and right motor mount right, but then you take the passenger side one off and it falls apart in your hands cause it's like three or four pieces (I haven't taken it all apart for the pics below yet, but trust me), similar situation on the other side, but I came this far so I had to take them off there was too much dirt, rust, and grime hiding in them for me to paint over

i dropped one into the Metal Rescue bath thinking it won't harm the rubber as much as the Phosphoric acid would, now I know you are going to tell me to buy new ones, but maybe these aint all that bad, and maybe you'll tell me to buy the urgo-super-race hard as a rock ones, but stock will do for me

DSCN9290.jpg

DSCN9291.jpg

DSCN9298.jpg

DSCN9301.jpg

DSCN9304.jpg

Tusks Come Off

After impelling myself for the umpteenth time on one of the elephant tusks sticking out from the front of the vehicle I decided it was time to remove them. First thing one may learn is that the nuts on the inside of the frame ARE FRIGGEN WELDED TO THE FRAME and do NOT turn. Therefor one must turn the bolts from the outside and save oneself 30 minutes of looking for that deep socket to hold the nut from spinning on the other side. Just saying. Also we are continuing on with our "there's always one" theme as I did brake one of the four bolts. It will be drilled out once I complete my "Calm Down Count Down" 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 ...

DSCN9307.jpg

DSCN9310.jpg

DSCN9312.jpg

DSCN9314.jpg

DSCN9316.jpg

DSCN9318.jpg

DSCN9320.jpg

I broke the drivers side rear bolt on the bumper support. And it went down hill from there. The easy out snapped off in the bolt, and half the weld holding the nut on broke. I'm going to have to replace that part of the frame rail just because of that.:mad:

Silly story, But back in 02, I was in the process of stripping my cars undercoating and POR15'ing it. I was living in NM at the time and it was hot as sin.

I was wearing sandles and as I popped the lid off the can of POR, some splashed on my foot. Since I am not the brightest bulb, I just kept on working.

Fast forward a few hours, and I had effectively glued my 4th and 5th toes together.

somebody pay attention cause I'll be calling on you to help me put these back the right way, you start off thinking well there's just the left and right motor mount right, but then you take the passenger side one off and it falls apart in your hands cause it's like three or four pieces (I haven't taken it all apart for the pics below yet, but trust me), similar situation on the other side, but I came this far so I had to take them off there was too much dirt, rust, and grime hiding in them for me to paint over

i dropped one into the Metal Rescue bath thinking it won't harm the rubber as much as the Phosphoric acid would, now I know you are going to tell me to buy new ones, but maybe these aint all that bad, and maybe you'll tell me to buy the urgo-super-race hard as a rock ones, but stock will do for me

DSCN9304.jpg

Those came off in pieces because you removed the mounts and the frame saddles they attach to.

You don't need urethane race mounts, but I recommend getting some that are crossbolted through the rubber or otherwise prevented from totally separating in the event of failure. The parts-store mounts available these days have horrible Indian or Chinese rubber that will be cracking inside of a year.

Ahh, this is bringing back memories of 2 years ago! I was fortunate?? enough to have my entire engine bay coated in grease/oil/dirt...so I was able to use a steam pressure washer to clean it down to the orange primer in most places. Just was rusted where the battery was, replaced that part, bought new suspension components and was done. It's looking good so far tho...i can smell the rust dust from here!

Parts Inventory - Working On The Car Without Working On The Car

a bit of a different update (ie picture free) lol

after being sick last weekend (memorial day = major suck) and majorly drugged up (strep throat) I wasn't really feeling it this weekend either so I decided to go through a couple piles of parts in the garage

the previous owner gave me a bunch of parts, a bunch of extra parts, and some different parts (ie 65-66 model stuff)

I found myself mixing parts I was removing off the car with those "other" parts so I had to STOP myself and make sure things were separated

I am so glad I did this. Not only did I find that I have 2 rear windows (one used, one brand new in a box), 4 driver door windows (three used, one brand new in a box), 3 passenger side door windows (two used, one brand new in a box), 2 sets of door panels (65-66 red = blah, black = AWESOME... however they are 65-66 style = DANG IT), 2 sets of door vent windows... etc, etc, etc... but doing so also eased me into once again picking up the extension cord with a wire wheel on the other end and going to town on that engine bay

so here's the bottom line: __________________________________________________

and the other bottom line (LOL): point is take the time to get organized, sometimes you can work on the car without working on the car - think about it!

Pressing on

I hope to have the engine bay covered in POR15 by the end of June, so here we go, the disassembly continues with the AC / Heater Core cluster/unit call it what you will, I don't plan on putting any of it back, so I will fab a plate to cover this entire opening

DSCN9180.jpg

DSCN9389.jpg

DSCN9388.jpg