Gas prices suck, best gas mileage??

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
Gas here is 3.99 for 91, and I am sure it will go up to 4.19 for the holiday weekend..

Anyways, I have been granny shifting the HELL out of my car, and I have been able to get 18.3 MPG (70% city, 30% highway, going WOT a couple times, and 1 burn out) with the mods in my sig.

What is the best gas mileage you guys have been able to get out of your stangs??

• Sponsors (?)

Right now I get infinity cause I Fred Flinstoned that biotch and cut holes in the floor :nice:

Usually around 24.8 mixed if I keep out of it. Comming back from Dallas I got 26 mpg :banana:

I do have a tune in the car, but I get less than 20...about 17-18 in 90% city driving with hardly any full throttle if any. I wish I knew how to get better mileage out of this beast! My second vehicle (winter beater '76 F250) gets 9 mpg, so the stang is the most efficient I own! :)

would an egr restrictor help or not?
at first i would think not, but, im not sure..

The EGR actually helps fuel economy...why would you want to restrict it?

Best i've gotten is 325 miles to a tank, but there is a guy on corral.net claiming 425 miles.

I did my 325 all highway using cruise control and staying constant speed.

Gas here is 3.99 for 91, and I am sure it will go up to 4.19 for the holiday weekend..

Anyways, I have been granny shifting the HELL out of my car, and I have been able to get 18.3 MPG (70% city, 30% highway, going WOT a couple times, and 1 burn out) with the mods in my sig.

What is the best gas mileage you guys have been able to get out of your stangs??

$3.99:eek: Consider yourself lucky. Out here in Cali, 87 octane is $4.19 a gallon right now & 91 octane is around $4.41 a gallon....

My 95 is getting around 18mpg in mixed driving with little to no heavy footed driving....

I never DD the Mach, so Im not too sure about the mileage, but I know its went down since I got the dyno tune....

trying shutting the car off and coasting more. Keep the key in the on position though. turn the car off, then back to the on positon, fuel pump will prime and gauges will work. It will seriously add alot more milage to the tank. When at the light, shut it off, at the drive though, shut it off. Just put the car in neutral and restart it when you need to. With a 5sp car, you can restart the car if you drop it in 5th gear as just about any speed.

Few tricks.....
1. slower acceleration (c'mon....you don't always need to put your foot into it ;) ),
2. over inflate your tires to their maximum capacity (might make it ride a little rougher, but it'll cut the rolling resistance),
3. tune up if necessary (seafoam, new plugs, air/fuel filters will go a long way),
4. try drafting while driving on the highway (18-wheelers work the best. :nice: ) cutting the wind resistance in front of you by letting another vehicle take the hit will really improve your highway mileage.
5. slow down. Same principal as 4, but you won't have another vehicle ahead to cut through the wind resistance for you, so you'll just have to make sure there's less of it by keeping your speed down.

4. try drafting while driving on the highway (18-wheelers work the best. :nice: ) cutting the wind resistance in front of you by letting another vehicle take the hit will really improve your highway mileage.

Drafting on the highway is lucicrious. If you've ever been on a motorcycle you know that the air doesn't get smooth until you're bumper to bumper (just like how they draft in Indy car/F1/Nascar whatever). You're going to be driving in MORE turbulance when simply driving close behind a semi, and at the point where any air bubble becomes effective you will be driving illegally close to the vehicle infront of you; not only illegal, but it's also extremely dangerous.

If you want better mileage sell your car and buy something with better mileage. Mos you're gonna get out of one of these cars is 25mpg if you're really lucky and don't have any fun with the car.

Drafting on the highway is lucicrious. If you've ever been on a motorcycle you know that the air doesn't get smooth until you're bumper to bumper (just like how they draft in Indy car/F1/Nascar whatever). You're going to be driving in MORE turbulance when simply driving close behind a semi, and at the point where any air bubble becomes effective you will be driving illegally close to the vehicle infront of you; not only illegal, but it's also extremely dangerous.
I whole heartedly disagree. You don't need to ride bumper to bumper to realize any benefit from it. True, the closer you get, the more it will work in your favour, but you can just as easily cut a good portion of the drag down following from a sensible distance, especially if the truck in front of you is hauling a full size box trailer out back that directs the wind waaay overhead. It was actually proven just a few weeks ago in the S197 section when a member experimented with various distances behind a truck ahead of him, compared to running behind a car, or no vehicle at all and saw his estimated fuel mileage improve dramatically with calculations made via the cars on board information’s center. I did the same experiment with my fathers Lincoln Mark VIII shortly afterwards and got the same results.

I've even been able to see a difference with my Explorer (which I normally average about 20mpg with). Not one week ago I made the trip South to visit my Family and during a 5-hour drive I was able to improve my fuel economy by over 100km to a tank just by reducing my speed, over inflating my tires and drafting a couple of big rigs on the way there. I even dropped my sun roof to test for effect and physically felt the difference in the amount of wind resistance I was experiencing.

Thread in question....
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=744823

They did the drafting an 18-wheeler thing on mythbusters and found it does help.

They did it at 150,100,50 and 10 feet and the closer they got, the better the fuel economy was. Even at 150 feet there was a difference.

I'll plant myself behind an 18-wheeler on some of my long highway commutes to work. Granted i don't get 10 feet on his bumper, but even 100 feet back at 50MPH has got to do something

Best ive gotten out of my car was 25mpg or so, highway driving with 4.10's even through some mountains, 80mph a bit of the way which = 3k rpm.

My Jeep probaly gets about 18-19 on a good day.

Now the Stang doesnt get driven much anymore, but when I do drive it I give it hell so ill say 15-17mpg...