Gas Splash Guard for 66?? Please help.

warrenbh

Feb 25, 2010
Hello All,

Has anyone heard of a gas splash guard that's applied to the surface area around the gas insert hole??

I made a huge mistake last week. I topped off my 66 and parked her at an incline overnight. By morning, gas had seeped through the cap and had drenched the area beneath it.

As you can imagine, the gas caused the paint to bubble.

Question: Is there a gas splash guard that is made specifically for this issue??

I believe somewhere i saw a black plastic/rubber/vinyl cut-out that's applied (maybe even factory) to the area around the gas cap.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Warren

• Sponsors (?)

I have never heard of a splash guard for any of the old Mustangs. You could possibly use a good quality clear vinyl type lettering material. You would want to remove the filler neck and kind of wrap it around the edges of the hole for good coverage. Making sure the material is gas resistant might be a problem too.

Most of the time, gas will seep out of the vent system in the cap. A full tank, a warm afternoon, and the slope he was on is all the right things. One cannot plug the vent hole as that is needed for proper operation. I try to never fill up and just park it. I will fill and drive....plus it is more fun.

The only thing close to what your talking about that I have seen is a chrome peice that goes around the cap. Its to keep from scratching the paint. Mustangs Unlimited seems to be the only place that has it. Their site is undergoing maintainance right now so I can't get a link.

I don't see why your paint bubbled from having gas spill on it. This has happened millions of times with no issues.