Geetings form Newbie

68redGTCS

Sep 14, 2011
Hello all. Just joined this forum and I'm hoping to get info on my project: Been out of highschool since 1981..... and I still have my highschool mustang: a 1968 California Special which still needs some TLC. Now that my son is in highschool, it seems appropriate to work on her like I did with my father.

I've tinkered with her in the past few years. I did front and rear Global West Suspension and disc brakes. We are looking into getting deep into the engine this winter. I hear an engine swap from a circa 2000 explorer motor would be a good one. Just wondering what you guys think about it. I currently have an anemic totally stock 289 that inspires no emotion whatsoever.

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I currently have an anemic totally stock 289 that inspires no emotion whatsoever.

You could totally inspire that 289 with a few simple upgrades.

I guarantee the heads are low-performance, this will change that, and cost you almost nothing:
289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

While it's apart, install a C9OZ-6250-C cam, Performer RPM manifold, 600 cfm carb (I like the Summit) and have your distributor recurved to BOSS 302 specs.

All low-buck upgrades, but this is what you might expect:

321HorseSheet.jpg

Attachments

• 321HorseSheet.jpg
    321HorseSheet.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 92
. I hear an engine swap from a circa 2000 explorer motor would be a good one. Just wondering what you guys think about it.

thanks in advance

Welcome!

Figured I would chime in since my winter beater is a 1999 5.0 Explorer.

The engine makes about 215 horsepower and gets about 15 mpg in a 4500 lb vehicle. The explorer feels quite slow but the same engine in a lot lighter vehicle would be more fun. The engine would at least need aftermarket headers and a cam to be worth the swap IMO.

Thanks for the info guys. Well, that sounds good. One of the reasons I was thinking about a new engine is because my stock heads are not even worth porting. When I was in high school all I could afford were junk-yard finds. As it were, I put my engine together from junk yard parts and noticed my heads have cross-threaded valve cover holes. Had to mickey-mouse with high temp silicone to stop the oil leaks.

I guess I can buy another stock set and have them ported,...... or, doesn't Edelbrock make aluminum heads and intake? Maybe I should just buy a package performance deal including heads, intake, carb, cam etc., Anybody with any tips as to where and what to buy?

I think reworking the motor with your son would be more rewarding than swapping a motor. I think your son would enjoy a motor tear down!
I hear good things about the Ededlbrock kits( cam, heads,intake...)
I have their heads on my motor.

Welcome aboard!