Got a question and need some help...

90STANGPONY

Feb 16, 2008
I now have a 90 lx hatch 5.0 5 speed that has the typical lifter tap. I went ahead and swapped the oil to the lucas synthetis oil stabilizer along with the royal purple 10-30. This has helped me in the past with the tap on other cars but is there another fix for the tap other than swapping the worn out lifters and doing a cam at the same time. Also I have a friend back home in Florida that says the intake and shifter kit seems to be the best thing to go with first. Does anyone agree? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to :SNSign:

If you're positive it's the lifters tapping, not the rockers, or an exhaust leak, I'd probably run some synthetic oil through it. Most, if not all oils, both synthetic and conventional are full of detergents that really shouldn't cause too much sludge buildup. One thing to be weary of with using synthetic in a higher mileage car, you may find some leaks you didn't know existed after it cleans away the crud that's built up over time.

Thanks. I know its not an exhaust leak and I really dont think its the rockers but I could be wrong. I did swap the oil to the "lucas synthetis oil stabilizer along with the royal purple 10-30", and so far no change in the sound but it hasnt gotten worse either. Also I thought that more leaks would start and so far so good. Its been a week and about 170 miles and no extra leaks yet.

Why choose not to "fix" the problem... or at the least, isolate the problem? If it is a valvetrain malfunction, it will only get worse and very expensive when it fails alltogether.
My last "stock" 87' 5.0 engine had 83k and it didn't have lifter tap.

Sounds good. I am hoping to check it out this weekend or the next one. I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst. What are some good sites for ordering parts. I had local hookups back home in Florida but nobody here. I think the best bet might be just to go and swap the rockers, lifters and the cam all at once. Clean everything else in the process.

Also, I thought that the stock heads did not have adjustable lifters. From previous work that I have done on other stangs, the heads were not stock and the lifter setup was adjustable.

If you just recently acquired the car, are you sure that the engine is stock? Perhaps it has roller rockers that aren't adjusted properly? Personally I have never heard of "typical lifter tap" in regards to a 5.0. Does it make the noise all the time, even at idle? Or only when you get on it on the road?

The best local (or reasonably local in your case) source for parts, service and information on Mustangs is Brad's Custom Auto in Seattle.

It makes the noise all the time. Increases with rpm's and then goes back to the same at idle. I just got the car about a week ago and swapped the oil to lucas synthetic oil stabilizer along with royal purple 10-30. This has fixed minor noises before on projects but nothing so far. It also hasn't used any oil since the swap. I have probably put about 200 miles since. The noise has not gone away or gotten worse though. As far as the setup, I really don't know until I take it apart. What do you think from this?