got me a free Ranger

• Sponsors (?)

Screw the 302 drop. Build yourself an SVT Concept Clone.....:hail2:

lightningbolt_intro.jpg
lightningbolt2.jpg

lightningbolt1.jpg
lightningbolt3.jpg

The Ranger’s engine and transmission were replaced with the same 5.4-liter supercharged engine and automatic transmission used in the SVT Lightning, even though the compact Lightning Bolt weighs in at 1200 pounds less than its big brother. Custom 2-foot headers, a K&N air filter and the relocation of the supercharger’s air inlet to accommodate the Ranger’s unique air entry position were the only material changes to the stock powerplant. The exhaust system was modified with stainless steel and Borla Super Pro mufflers resulting in a power boost from 380hp and 450lb-ft to an estimated 400hp and 460lb-ft. Handling all of this power also meant replacing the Ranger’s stock driveshaft with a shortened 3-foot aluminum version from the Lightning.

All you need to do now is find yourself a wrecked Lightning. :D

Attachments

• lightningbolt_intro.jpg
    lightningbolt_intro.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 85
  • lightningbolt2.jpg
    lightningbolt2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 77
  • lightningbolt1.jpg
    lightningbolt1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 83
  • lightningbolt3.jpg
    lightningbolt3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 82
got it home today. I had to put plugs in it to get it home. It runs not bad but there is low low comp on cyl 3 and 6. maby head or valve terrain problem I don't know. I will porbly change the engine in it and use it to drive back and forth to school for my apprenticeship (2 hrs one way) once a week. the truck itself is in great shape. I will get some pics here in a few hours.

No, I believe it's a Mazda motor.
That is incorrect. For the record the 3.0L is a Ford engine. Pirated from the Vulcan line up used in the Ford Taurus since 1986. The 2.3L (Lima) and 4.0L OHV/SOHC (Cologne) are also Ford engines. Mazda has been using Ford engines in their B-series pick-ups since 1994, when the Merged with Ford in the North American market.

Just an FYI :)

The 4.0L OHV wasn't bad with a 5-speed standard, but it was pretty anemic otherwise. It makes a little more grunt right off idle than the 4.0L SOHC, but there’s no comparison otherwise. You can really notice the 160hp in the old 4.0L OHV vs. the 210hp in the 4.0L SOHC.

My Explorer Sport has the 4.0L SOHC matched with the 5R55 5-speed auto and its got waaaay more jam than my old 4.0L OHV/A4LD Ranger 4x4 ever did. And the Explorer is a lot heavier to boot. My buddy has a 4x4 Ranger ext cab with the 5-speed 5R55 auto in it like my Explorer and the thing has crazy power for a little truck.