Griffen Universal Radiator Size

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
With Summer being in full swing now and the fact I fixed my AC my 93 Steed is running a bit hot in stop and go traffic. Although it does not over heat it does get too hot for my comfort level.

I do not have any mods on my ride other then headers and a heavy right foot I feel that my 3 core brass radiator, high flow WP with a Cobra pulley and a IST (mass-air.com) Supercool fan kit. My ride does get hot when in standing traffic. I feel the issue is more of a airflow issue but i do not want to install a pusher fan just for AC. If i can get clear and up tp freeway speeds the eingine will come back down to normal temps (middle of stock guage).

My question is what size of universal griffen radiator do I get for the mustang? Also what mods or fabs will I will need to do to use the stock fan shroud and and stock mounts or can I even use the stock mounts?

Thanks
Allen

• Sponsors (?)

I use the Griffin 31x19 "Oval Style" radiator...

I had to trim the lower hose down a few inches to keep it from kinking and bend out the a/c condensor lines to the side to slide in the 31"...

It was probably one of the best mods I have did, it cooled my car down greatly over my old stock radiator on the highway...

31" x 19" radiator.... I believe Summit advertised it as a "NASCAR type radiator" or something to that affect.

Reverse your lower radiator hose and trim an inch or two off of the end and it will fit fine. You may need to bend your radiator brackets open wider and gently push your a/c lines to the side a bit. The Griffin is a tight fit but it fits well. The stock fan shroud and coolant resivor will work fine. I used my stock U shaped clips on the bottom of the shroud (to clip to the lip on the radiator) and sheet metal screws at the top to bolt the shroud through the radiator. A better option might be to use some real small bolts and nuts instead, or U shaped clips that you can tighten somehow.

31" x 19" radiator.... I believe Summit advertised it as a "NASCAR type radiator" or something to that affect.

Reverse your lower radiator hose and trim an inch or two off of the end and it will fit fine. You may need to bend your radiator brackets open wider and gently push your a/c lines to the side a bit. The Griffin is a tight fit but it fits well. The stock fan shroud and coolant resivor will work fine. I used my stock U shaped clips on the bottom of the shroud (to clip to the lip on the radiator) and sheet metal screws at the top to bolt the shroud through the radiator. A better option might be to use some real small bolts and nuts instead, or U shaped clips that you can tighten somehow.

That's correct, I forgot about a couple of those additional things you needed to do, it has been a while since I added it:)

Yeah, the Nascar style is right, that is why I called it the Oval style...Nascar is more accurate though:nice:

Thanks for the replys. I just saw that Summit has a brand of their own name. Its 289 for a "direct fit". Anyone know anything about these? The universal Griffin is 269 but is the Summit is as good quality as the Girffin then 20 bucks is worth it for me. What do you think?

Allen

The griffin unit is the 31x19 as said above. The problem I think is that you don't have enough fan to keep up... The problem that you stated above is typically because your fan cannot pull enough air through the radiator. If you are able to keep your temps down on the freeway your radiator is doing your job just fine. Which waterpump do you have? I had a problem with a high flow Milidon unit which would flow just fine when the engine was going but at idle it just couldn't get enough water though the motor. Also compounded by the fact that I had UD pullies. A stewart waterpump solved that problem.
Kevin

An important detail to pay attention to with universal radiators is the filler cap. If the cap is straight level with the top of the radiator, chances are your hood won't close. You need the slanted 45* filler cap like the stocker has.

I should have clarified that i wasn't saying specifically that the Griffen had clearance issues....in fact i'm not sure what brand my buddy's was that he used....just saying better safe than sorry.

I have had a summit universal radiator for years now and love it. It keeps my car cool and have had no problems with it. I bought the 31 x 19, price was I believe 179 or 189 when I got it but I actually think the prices went down. Like others mentioned there were some fitment issues but nothing bad. You could always get the size smaller which is 27 x 19, prob be perfect. You will need to get a radiator hose drain, I still need to get one. Griffin also has radiators in both sizes, they are a little more expensive now. But overall, for the price they are the way to go. I wouldn't bother with the direct fit ones.

This is the Griffin Radiator I have...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...72-X&N=700+300673+4294792824+115&autoview=sku

Part number:
GRI-1-26272-X

$195 is the list price...

Order a 16psi radiator cap, I got the griffin brand to match.

That's the one I have too. And yeah, you'll need a matching Griffin cap, 16 psi, part number GRI-KM-70:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=GRI-KM-70&N=700+400030+115&autoview=sku

I have no hood clearance issues with this setup either. The 31X19" is really the perfect fit for a Fox if you want a big radiator.

A couple other things worth knowing about the Griffin rad:

1- There's no drain petcock built in. No big deal, you'll just need to pull your lower hose if you need to drain your coolant. Or, a radiator shop may be able to add a petcock if you want to spend the money.

2- The lower radiator hose outlet is 1 3/4" which means the hose will be a tight fit (stock radiator inlet and outlets are both 1 1/2"). The hose will stretch to fit, it'll just be a PITA the first time you do it. Get some radiator hose lubricant at a parts store if you can find it- I believe I ended up using some WD40, which worked OK in a pinch. Fortunately the next time you have to re-attatch the lower hose on the Griffin it'll go back on a lot easier... time and heat will make the hose conform to the bigger outlet just fine.

Ok... I think that's just about everything there is to know. :D