GT to Cobra brake kit

• Sponsors (?)

I bough the cobra kit and couldn't be more happy with it. But save your money and dont get the cross drilled and slotted rotors because they go through brakes quicker than normal. Plus, unless you are autocrossing they wont help any.

I got them with the braided lines from partshopper.

I got my front and rear slotted cobra kit from discbrakesrus.com. I had a good experience with them. I received the parts pretty quick and and they were packed well. They may offer to powdercoat them for an extra $50. I am going to paraphrase what they said. Basically, If you don't get the powdercoat the discs will eventually show rust. The powdercoat would wear off on the discs where the pads contact and initially the brake feel would be rough but would smooth out as the powdercoat was worn away. I would not recommend the powdercoat because the place that installed the kit had to resurface the discs for me. They put them on and were not comfortable with the powdercoat on when they tested the brakes so they took them off and resurfaced them. I wish they only coated the area not contacted by the pads because now my discs are showing rust in these areas. Not alot but enough to annoy me. I read an ad in one of the mustang magazines that had cobra front kits for sale with the powdercoating but only in the area that did not contact the pads. I cannot remember which vendor. I wish I bought those. Maybe discbrakesrus can only coat the middle of the discs for you. Good luck.

I saw the ad again. Performance Parts Inc is the place. I saw the front and rear kit for $425 each so a total of $850 for both. That is cheaper than I paid for the front and rear kit from discbrakesrus.com.

Ok I think I want to go with the slotted rotors. But how would these compare to a slotted rotor from powerslot?.. other than price. Also one of my friends was saying something about SS brake lines could be bad because there is nowhere for the pressure to go and they could damage my brakes. Will the GT master cylinder work fine with the cobra brakes?
Ah and I heard you should bleed SS lines yearly, it worth it?

I'm not sure if I want a powdercoating on the rotors either because if I'm going to have to resurface them it's just a waste of money.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really close to buying a front kit now :)

I bought my kit from discbrakesrus.com and had no complaints. Their shipping was pretty fast considerind it was coast to coast. I got regular rotors without and didnt opt for the powdercoating. The only thing I wish I would have done is paint the part of the rotor that doesnt make contact on my own. They look pretty ugly now but I'm just too lazy to go out and do something about it. :nonono: Heres how they look after a few months:
rusty_rotor.jpg

I think the ones that partshopper sells comes with that area painted at no extra charge, I would check on that though.

Jer_Stang said:
Ok I think I want to go with the slotted rotors. But how would these compare to a slotted rotor from powerslot?.. other than price. Also one of my friends was saying something about SS brake lines could be bad because there is nowhere for the pressure to go and they could damage my brakes. Will the GT master cylinder work fine with the cobra brakes?
Ah and I heard you should bleed SS lines yearly, it worth it?

I'm not sure if I want a powdercoating on the rotors either because if I'm going to have to resurface them it's just a waste of money.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really close to buying a front kit now :)
slotted rotors will not yield any extra performance.

SS brake lines will swell less, which in turn actually puts the pressure to the calipers, would you rather the stock lines swell and have no braking power? If you want to get technical, you should bleed brakes yearly no matter what lines it has on it. the GT master cylinder will work fine.

This is the kit I plan to run - http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482612

GTPhreak said:
slotted rotors will not yield any extra performance.

SS brake lines will swell less, which in turn actually puts the pressure to the calipers, would you rather the stock lines swell and have no braking power? If you want to get technical, you should bleed brakes yearly no matter what lines it has on it. the GT master cylinder will work fine.

This is the kit I plan to run - http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482612

I think that is the same kit I am talking about. By the way, are you following me GTPhreak? Turbo is almost done.

Paul

A few things to keep in mind that our basic $399.99 front or rear Cobra or Bullitt brake kits are 100% Ford content and include Brembo rotors. We deviate from this to upgade to cross-drilled and slotted Brembo front and rear rotors and Goodridge DOT-spec hoses for the front. We do not cut corners by using no-name or rebuilt components as others do. Our kits come complete and ready to bolt-on unlike many others that require you to buy ancilary items before completion. Compare kits and you'll see that ours, as it always has been, is the best on the market.

With several hundred of our brake kits sold, we must be doing something right!!!