GT40P 347 Junkyard Setup

oxemoron

Jul 12, 2003
This upcoming weekend i was going to pick up an explorer engine and build either a 331 or 347. Still trying to figure out if i can make a reliable daily driver 347. I work at a machine shop and planned on fully porting both the intake manifold and heads, although i was considering getting a professional products intake manifold and fully porting that. I would like to build an engine producing 350+ HP and without the use of expensive bolt ons. I figure since i can machine the parts, i might as well save the money. How much power could i expect from setup like that?

• Sponsors (?)

Do whatever you have to do about the top end, just build the bottom end right, even if it means sacrificing nice heads for OK heads and having a really good bottom end that you can always change out the heads down the road. For a 347, forget the Chinese Performer imposter, look more into a RPMII, systmaxII, or even ported Explorer lower, much better idea, and nessasary if you want 350RWHP. That's just how I would go about it, I could be wrong...

yep, i would do the P heads only if you have to. Look in the classified ads.... you might be able to find a set of FMS or another aftermarket head that you wotn have to put so much time into.

My last combo was a 347 w/ gt40p heads, cobra intake,and crane 2031 cam. I put down 265rwhp and 340rwtq through an auto. The combo was done by about 5800rpm. I have since switched to TW heads,track heat, and custom cam, it pulls WAY harder from 3k on up, no dyno #'s on new combo but it sure feels a lot stronger. Good luck man!