GT500 or Saleen S281 E

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm i would think the saleen would out handle the Shelby in the turns but the 5.4 4V with twin screw would catch up in the straights...I'd like to take both out for a drive before I make my decision :)

Hornetsnest said:
That Saleen is already a "modded" 4.6, so in terms of responding to mods, the GT500 has much more room to grow. I don't think modding the saleen will give it too much more HP.
i wasn't talking about the Saleen...I agree the shelby will have alot of power to be gained after it gets in the hands of tuners...just like the Terminators.

While that may be true, this is comparing two stock cars and the Saleen by the numbers would be a better performer out of the box.

Not to mention the shelby name on the new car is a joke. ALl it is there for is to get the older generation who where in high school and college in 66 and wanted an original shelby. He didnt do squat on the car.

04DarkShadowGT said:
While that may be true, this is comparing two stock cars and the Saleen by the numbers would be a better performer out of the box.

Has a GT500 actually been tested yet and where are the numbers for the Saleen, just curious, would be nice to eventually see an actual comparason between the 2. :shrug:

04DarkShadowGT said:
Not to mention the shelby name on the new car is a joke. ALl it is there for is to get the older generation who where in high school and college in 66 and wanted an original shelby. He didnt do squat on the car.

Though I do believe a big part of the reason he is there is to rope in the older gen buyers, u can't just say for sure he didn't help in the cars creation, unless you were actually there. Also he supposedly did help out/consult on the Ford GT, which is a completly ****in awesome car and his name is nowhere on that one.

CatmanJJ said:
Though I do believe a big part of the reason he is there is to rope in the older gen buyers, u can't just say for sure he didn't help in the cars creation, unless you were actually there. Also he supposedly did help out/consult on the Ford GT, which is a completly ****in awesome car and his name is nowhere on that one.

*ahem*

And I Quote!

"Road & Track: What is your involvement with the Shelby GT500 program?

Shelby: That's hard to decipher. It's got my name on it. I got talking to John Coletti and Edsel Ford about the Ford GT, and then got talking about what a Mustang should be. We just sat around and brainstormed. Time has passed for old hot-rodders like me who just went out and built cars. Now you have all these young hot-rodders, like [SVT Director] Hau Thai-Tang and [SVT Chief-Technical Engineer] Jay O'Connell, who can build it for you. All I look at is the setting objectives for what you want the car to be. And, of course, I drive it and give them a few suggestions. I'm really high on Hau and Jay. They have made something that will be very desirable for the price."

End Quote.

So...for those at home who just read that verbal diarrhea... what he did can be summed up on the first two sentences... he did **** ALL. His name is on it, and you best believe you'll pay top dollar for it. Oh, and he drove it and gave, what i'm sure, really hearty suggestions!

:puke:

what an old, sell-out of a man.

Kiss my ass Carroll Shelby.

CatmanJJ said:
Has a GT500 actually been tested yet and where are the numbers for the Saleen, just curious, would be nice to eventually see an actual comparason between the 2. :shrug:

No they havent been tested but I am saying by the weight and power numbers published by both people the Saleen on paper should be faster, it has 75 more hp, more torque, and it weights less.

00Blackgtvert said:
i would take the saleen only because i love the 99-04 body style

We are comparing an 06 S281 E with the 07 Shebly, not a 04 S281 E.

04DarkShadowGT said:
by the weight and power numbers published by both people the Saleen on paper should be faster, it has 75 more hp, more torque, and it weights less.

I hear ya, Saleen does have the lb. advantange but I'm sure the 475 hp is pretty underrated for the GT500 and Ford GT heads > PnP 3 valve heads.