Head Swap Build Thread: And other Improvements

You may very well be right about that but if I was running 3" exhaust and my headers got as small as 2 1/4" at the collector I wouldn't be running them that way. I agree about the cats

Does it really drop down to 2 1/4" with a 3" exhaust? I'm sure the majority of us run 2 1/2" I don't think anyone on here is pulling enough power to justify 3" dual exhaust.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a new issue thats been crossing my mind after looking at head options further.

The AFR 205cc heads are 58cc combustion chambers so.....

1. VS the Trickflow 65cc combustion chambers how much more of an advantage is having 58cc? How much difference in compression will it make VS the 65cc

2. Since I had the AFR 185's with no PVC issues would going with the 205's change anything with PVC VS the 185's? Reason I ask is b/c of the unknown factor of PVC issues with the Trickflow heads.

I really want Trickflow heads, thats what I started out wanting and thats what I would like to still have now BUT.... If I can make bigger gains with 58cc heads VS 65cc and not have to deal with PVC it could be enough to sway my decision.

Can anyone advise me on what my CR would be with the 58cc heads with my stock pistons being 11cc. It was figured that the TF 65cc heads would get me to about 9:3. More compression = more power and the AFR's are a bit cheaper. If the power and compression difference between the 65/58 is worth changing my mind on this then I might.

Mike brought up the 58cc AFR heads back on page 4 but thats when a piston change was still being discussed. I want to avoid that and just keep the stockers so I just want to know now the 65/58 compare to eachother with my stock pistons.

The AFR's would put you right around 10:1, which is good for about 15-20rwhp over a 9.3:1 CR. The 205's have 2.08" valves where the 185's have 2.02", so it's possible you still could run into piston to valve clearance problems.

well thats something to definitely think about. 15-20 more RWHP is substantial.

Finally got a set of SVO side skits as well

002-51.jpg

004-37.jpg

I can't remember now that it's page 7. Did you determine whether or not you were going to swap out the pistons? Big heads like the Trick Flows and the AFR 205s are probably going to require some sort of valve relief on the piston, whether it being new pistons or notching on the old ones.

Kurt

I just don't see it. Big heads mean a big cam to make them work right. I can't imagine those pistons having enough valve relief. Maybe Rick could give you some advice on that. Putting a small cam in there negates the purpose of buying big heads in the first place.

Kurt