Headliner sound/heat barrier

Red5oh

Jul 8, 2005
DFW, Texas
I asked this on the bottom of another headliner question, so I apologize for the double post... but...

I have dynamat extreme installed on the roof metal on a 67 coupe. I was messing around and starting fitting the headliner and it went in pretty quick, BUT, I have not installed anyything else besides the dynamat!

Should I have put in some type of thermal material (jute, 1/4 foam???) or anything to help with the heat? I dont think the dynamat will help much in that department... but just checking.

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that looks like the jute style backing underneath the carpet, right? Probably a little more dense.

I was wondering if I needed it 'also' since I put the dynamat...

I used to live in El Paso, so I know what you are saying!

Mark

Talk to the folks at "Quiet Ride" they use a combination of dynamat (for sound0 and "Acousta Shield for sound deadening. Their system has been in pretty much all the magazines and gets good reviews. We will be using there system in our 65. It's not the cheapest, but works welll

I would definitly put a neoprene or jute type material in addition to the Dynamat. You will get far better heat and sound insulation with both

i definitely agree. also the headliner won't look right without the factory stuff under it, that's what gives it that kind of puffy look in the corners and stuff. this is just my opinion of course so take it for what it's worth.

Talk to the folks at "Quiet Ride" they use a combination of dynamat (for sound0 and "Acousta Shield for sound deadening. Their system has been in pretty much all the magazines and gets good reviews. We will be using there system in our 65. It's not the cheapest, but works welll

Do you have a link for this product?

Chris

i definitely agree. also the headliner won't look right without the factory stuff under it, that's what gives it that kind of puffy look in the corners and stuff. this is just my opinion of course so take it for what it's worth.

Mine didnt have one in it when I bought it... but the only places it would apply are near the edges where that edge trim goes. Other than that, it gets no where near anything metal.

I bought a kit from "mustangsplus" or "mustangsunlimited" can't remember which,
it came with dynamat and a thick "1/4 - 3/8 inch" material covered with a foillike substance.
I used this combo under the carpet, headliner and behind the rear seat huge difference in outside noise and heat.

That is kinda what the dynamat is... but its about 1/8" thick with a sticky tar substance that goes against the metal then an aluminum face to it that you are exposed to.

It appears I will be adding some type of 'padding' to the dynamat that is there... I am just having a hard time discerning what to use? If all else fails, I will use that 1/4" headliner material to help fill in those spaces on the rear pillars that everyone is talking about.

I bought a kit from "mustangsplus" or "mustangsunlimited" can't remember which,
it came with dynamat and a thick "1/4 - 3/8 inch" material covered with a foillike substance.
I used this combo under the carpet, headliner and behind the rear seat huge difference in outside noise and heat.

Mustang Plus sells the Quiet Ride sound deadening, that appears to be what you received

Have you seen the 1/4" bubble-pack with aluminum covering on both sides? It has an 'r' value of 11, weighs nothing and won't rot over time like some fiber products do. Check with the local street-rod shops to find some. I installed it in the floor of my 65 and it lowered the temp from unbearable in the summer to down right comfortable.

Yes, quietride is it. The kit came with dynamat to put in strategic places and the carpet padding type stuff goes over that.

Since I have the dynamat in place already (full coverage).... what do you think is best? The 1/4 foam headliner stuff, or the carpet type padding?

What about the rear pillars? What goes over them? padding (to round out the edges)?

Ok... last question folks... what adhesive to use? In the past I used the 3M spray on, but that can be a mess. Most sites say to use the 3M 08001 (yellow) that comes in a tube, which sounds much cleaner.

Any other suggestions... I am going to start gluing this thing in TODAY!!!! (Yeah)