Heads for 427w, need some help choosing!

Yellowpnoy

Feb 6, 2006
I am in the process of having a dart blocked 427w being built for my car and am kinda confused as to which heads to put on it. I really like the AFR's, but after getting the motor done, money is a little tight. I will be putting either a procharger F1 or a Vortech YS-i on the car. There are so many heads available. I really like the 225cc TFS-R series heads, but they are up there too. The R heads, are they twisted wedge or no? I am not sure what kind of volume (225cc, 205cc etc.) i should put on the car. It will be mostly street driven but a weekend warrior and occasionally see the track. The company building the motor (dyno-flo) is spec'ing a cam for me, so i dont know the lift/duration numbers on it yet. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good head at a decent price?

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

Wow...I'm jealous because that is my next block when I wear this one out. I would never do a 427W stroker ever again. How much are they charging you for a short block? I run the AFR 225's and have had no problems with them so far.

thehueypilot said:
Wow...I'm jealous because that is my next block when I wear this one out. I would never do a 427W stroker ever again. How much are they charging you for a short block? I run the AFR 225's and have had no problems with them so far.

They are charging me $3980.00 for the shortblock. Why wont you do a 427 stroker again?

4k for a short block? Does it have forged rods and pistons and balanced internals with a steel crank? Strokers seem to have weak pistons and they don't like to rev real high. I race mine and the pistons are not holding up at all. I replaced one last year and now four this year. The pistons are hard to come by because they are special so I would rather get to 427 CID the old fashioned way and that's with a big bore and standard pistons.

thehueypilot said:
4k for a short block? Does it have forged rods and pistons and balanced internals with a steel crank? Strokers have weak pistons and they don't like to rev real high. I race mine and the pistons are not holding up at all. I replaced one last year and now two this year. The pistons are hard to come by because they are special so I would rather get to 427 CID the old fashioned way and that's with a big bore and standard pistons.
figuring the dart block is 2k to begine with! Your comment about strokers have weak pistons is so far from true its not even funny. You can have any piston you want made, nothing hard to come by at all. If your breaking parts I would like at your machining quality, assembly etc.., certainly dont blame it on strokers cause that has nothing to do with it. What piston manufacturer are you using? Probe, Diamond, Ross, J&E??? You can take dart blocked shorts to around 460 inches. Those damn 500 inch nhra and 815 inch ira pro stock motors, what rpm do they turn? :rlaugh:

i got Dyno-flo's name from Turbo mustangs. Do a search for them on there and you will find them, if you call ask for peter, heavy new zealand accent, but a super nice guy. Their website is dyno-flo.com, not the greatest website in the world. It is getting JE Dished blower pistons, 9.2:1 CR w/64cc chambers, eagle 4340 forged rods, eagle 4340 forged crank, file fit rings, and all ARP studded. Getting a custom grind comp cam and timing chain set installed and degreed for a total of
4485.00 not including shipping. I thought it was a joke until i called them, and they know their stuff!! I beleive the 351w dart block can be punched out to 468ci.

Yellowpnoy said:
i got Dyno-flo's name from Turbo mustangs. Do a search for them on there and you will find them, if you call ask for peter, heavy new zealand accent, but a super nice guy. Their website is dyno-flo.com, not the greatest website in the world. It is getting JE Dished blower pistons, 9.2:1 CR w/64cc chambers, eagle 4340 forged rods, eagle 4340 forged crank, file fit rings, and all ARP studded. Getting a custom grind comp cam and timing chain set installed and degreed for a total of
4485.00 not including shipping. I thought it was a joke until i called them, and they know their stuff!! I beleive the 351w dart block can be punched out to 468ci.
I would opt for scat rod and crank before the eagle. And a cam from jay allen or ed curtis personally

sbftech said:
figuring the dart block is 2k to begine with! Your comment about strokers have weak pistons is so far from true its not even funny. You can have any piston you want made, nothing hard to come by at all. If your breaking parts I would like at your machining quality, assembly etc.., certainly dont blame it on strokers cause that has nothing to do with it. What piston manufacturer are you using? Probe, Diamond, Ross, J&E??? You can take dart blocked shorts to around 460 inches. Those damn 500 inch nhra and 815 inch ira pro stock motors, what rpm do they turn? :rlaugh:

I have probe pistons in my stroker. I just tore the engine down after the last race and I had four pistons broke at the ring land at the same place (intake relief notch) on all four pistons. Special order pistons usally don't have quick turn around time. 4k for a Dart block with all forged internals sounds like a great deal.

sbftech said:
I would opt for scat rod and crank before the eagle. And a cam from jay allen or ed curtis personally

Why?

We have been runing an Eagle crank in our 427 stroker turning it to 8k rpm's with thier H-beams (L19 bolt) and custom JE nitrous piston no problems.Its a Cleveland main,SBC rod journal,neutral balance.I got it in an Iron Eagle block,and personaly,I would feel fine shooting it with 600hp from 2 stages.Hell,if the tires could hold I would spray 600hp off the line...

I agree with sbftech on the head choise,of course Im biased as Im runing a set (done by Total Engine Airflow,awsome work there). :D

But out of the box,the better valve angles and good exhaust runners will really work well on a blower or nitrous car.Plus SOO much potenial for porting down the road,if you decied to get wild.

I am with bluevenom on this one, the combo that i have should be stout enough to support anything that i want to do with it. I am planning on a supercharger or turbo, but looking at some of the numbers guys are making with the 427 combo, i might not need one!!

bluevenom867 said:
Why?

We have been runing an Eagle crank in our 427 stroker turning it to 8k rpm's with thier H-beams (L19 bolt) and custom JE nitrous piston no problems.Its a Cleveland main,SBC rod journal,neutral balance.I got it in an Iron Eagle block,and personaly,I would feel fine shooting it with 600hp from 2 stages.Hell,if the tires could hold I would spray 600hp off the line...

I agree with sbftech on the head choise,of course Im biased as Im runing a set (done by Total Engine Airflow,awsome work there). :D

But out of the box,the better valve angles and good exhaust runners will really work well on a blower or nitrous car.Plus SOO much potenial for porting down the road,if you decied to get wild.
The fit and finish on scat stuff is definately superior to eagle. The last 3 eagle cranks for a few clients had to be cut .010-.010 out of the box. Seeing as how eagle does nothing more than print their name on the box and sell it. The chinese do all the finishing work as opposed to scat getting the raw casting and forgings and does all the finishing in thier california shop which not only employees usa citizens but it makes for a much better finished product. This is why you see a 100 dollar price difference between scat and eagle cranks. Which is quickly offset when you have to cut and re-nitride a brand new eagle crank. 2cents

sbftech said:
The fit and finish on scat stuff is definately superior to eagle. The last 3 eagle cranks for a few clients had to be cut .010-.010 out of the box. Seeing as how eagle does nothing more than print their name on the box and sell it. The chinese do all the finishing work as opposed to scat getting the raw casting and forgings and does all the finishing in thier california shop which not only employees usa citizens but it makes for a much better finished product. This is why you see a 100 dollar price difference between scat and eagle cranks. Which is quickly offset when you have to cut and re-nitride a brand new eagle crank. 2cents

Ahh well maybe thats why you pay for the extra machining and blancing on the Eagle crank ;)

And I did have a very good machine shop check over the whole assemble and check the wiegths.This was when it was a 408 and was ordered as a kit with balancing and polishing,and upgraded rod bolts and JE piston (instead of SRP) for a 4.03 bore (4" stroke).

I used that same rotating assembly,order new custom JE pistons with the tool steel wrist pins made for nitrous and had it all rebalanced and the crank polished.

Price differance? Eagle stuff used to be more expensive :shrug: