Help Build a Budget 8.8

Brandon11010

Jul 18, 2005
Well im a UTI student and my 89 fox's 8.8 is a little tired.. with 2.73 gears and a no longer working trac-loc, im tired of getting pulled on by everyone and their grandma, especially with all my engine work (276hp,310tq). Now being a student im on a tight tight budget.. What would the the cheapest way to get a set of 3.73's or 3.55's, and a working posi unit? A price list and a where to get it would be nice.. would a junkyard *craigslist* set of gears be worth the work to throw in, can i get away with not getting a rebuild kit? The trac-loc rebuild kit is what $50? no gettin around that.. I dunno.. im open for suggestions..or donations lol.. any input would be appreciated :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I got a 31 spline truck diff for $20 (I think it was), a rebuild kit for whatever that costs, axles for $200, a rear for $20, get some used gears for $100-150 and you could have a nice, reliable posi rear for around $500!

I'm guessing for a budget you wont be going 31 spline.

-gears on ebay or craigslist for 50-100 (got mine on craigs for $75)
-a rebuild kit for the trac-loc-$62 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...015QQitemZ250360690265QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I would do the axles bearings and seals as well since you already have it apart. -$35 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...024QQitemZ370148800145QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

-installation kit for the gears on ebay. there are several different types that can inlcude just shimes and seals or shims, bearings etc. anywhere from $39-150

good luck. oh and I assume being at UTI they can help you on the install if not then plan to shell a few hundred for that. What I have done is found a ford tech who does installs and asked him to do a side job.

For peace of mind, I'd buy new gears. Everything else (except of course the rebuild kit and bearings) you can buy used.

You'll love the gears. A set of 3.73s will make that car killer. Also make sure to do the Traction-Lok "trick" where you rebuild it with 4 clutches on each side rather than 3. Do a search, you'll get a better explanation.

Isn't the new S197 rear end a 31 spline diff and axles? What would it take to get one of those under a Fox? If they can handle the 500hp GT500, they should be pretty nice for most of us 5.0 guys.

What sucks about the alternate stacking method that NikwoaC mentioned is that you have to reuse two of the old standard disc with the carbons... if you go the carbon route.

Unless you buy two rebuild kits or go to the Ford dealership and see if you can just buy extra disks. It is kind of a bummer, but maybe you could sell off the extra disks to other people down the road who want to rebuild theirs the same way.