Help me pick a new combo

66sprint6

Oct 5, 2005
As many know, the original 302 was stolen while being rebuilt for my 90LX coupe. It was a stock, 160k mile 302 with stock heads and cam, cobra upper and lower, and all bolt-ons. I got her to run 8.7s in the 1/8th with 3.55s and MickeyT drag radials. What Im wanting to do is put in a good 302 that will be quicker, just as strong and dead nuts reliable for daily driving. I also plan on sprayin it in the near future. I got a couple thousand to spend, but I need EVERYTHING, TB, injectors, all the way to the pan. Any ideas? Im really leanin towards doin a GT40 explorer motor with a cam and upgraded springs in the heads. I found a rebuilt GT40 (non P headed) motor absolutely complete for $2,000 shipped to my door. What yall think? If that sounds a little high, what do yall recommend? I really wanna do this right and get this car back on the streets and I want it to be quick!
Thanks guys
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

None, its a rebuilt motor. I just got the insurance settlement in and it came out about 2 grand higher than I thought!!! With that bein said, I now might concider aluminum heads and a bigger cam, but I still dont have a motor to put em on LOL. Decisions Decisions
Matt

honestly, if you do it right, you should be able to get a used 302 for a couple hundred, get the machine work on it and everything to rebuild it for around another grand, maybe a little more depending on what you go with, and a top end kit for 2-2.5g's. It would be about a thousand more than that gt40 motor, but it would be a way more stout setup, with parts that you want, and it would be a fresh build as well. Just something to think about. Regardless, if you don't want to spend that much, you can do the same thing with gt40 parts for a bit cheaper than 2g's

Ive got a shortblock at the house that I could build, but I need everything else to make it complete. Im checkin all my options to see what would be smartest. Now I gotta do some research on what cam/heads to use etc
Matt

Ive got a shortblock at the house that I could build, but I need everything else to make it complete. Im checkin all my options to see what would be smartest. Now I gotta do some research on what cam/heads to use etc
Matt

twisted wedge heads , eddy rpm intake, anderson cam, keep the factory rotating assembly but throw some forged slugs in. along side all the supporting mods, you'll easily break the 300 mark.

Ive found quite a few lincoln motors, what I wanna know is whether or not the HO 5.0 in the lincoln VIIs have forged internals like the pre 93 mustang HO motors? If so, i think I may have somethin to work on
Matt

OK, little update...insurance paid up, bought a complete motor, TB, injectors, all wiring, accessories etc. under 100K miles, CLEAN as a whistle inside and out. Tore it apart and put a Trick Flow stge 1 cam in it, new seals and gaskets, double roller timing chain etc and buttoned it back up. My plan is to get the car runnin for a couple months, slowly restore the body and interior and then drop the hammer on heads and an intake. Im almost done buttoning everything up, prayin that tomorrow itll fire up and all will be well LOL. Wish me luck!
Matt

OH...and now Im on a quest for wheels and tires. My ponys were stolen and 10 holes now reside on her. Im really wanting to swap em out, but not sure what to do. Been lookin at ROHs Pony Rs and SSC wheels but nothins grabbin me just yet. Im too picky i guess lol
Matt