Help! What to do about rear end?????

67GTCOUPE

Founding Member
Dec 20, 2000
Land of Ice and Snow
Hi Guys:

Please tell me what you would do in the following situation:

I can get a brand new Ford motorsport 8.8" rear end for $400 locally it has NO axles or brakes and is 28 spline with 3.55 posi.

OR

I can get an explorer (94) rear end with 3.73 gears and 31 slpines with brakes(drum) for $275.00 used.

I would then swap the 3.73's into my 2003 GT Vert and use my 3.27's in the vert to go into the explorer housing.

The rear end will be going into my 67 mustang to replace the 8" that is about to explode behind my 393.

WTF do I do????????:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Used rear diff. are iffy at best.

How much do you know about the used diff?

For the used rear diff to be absolutely faithful you will need swap out the axle bearings and seals, crush sleeve, pinion gasket and bearings and so on and forth. You have already paid for your new Rear Diff.

Get the New Rear Diff. and drive it like you stole it. Used Rear diffs are an absolute pain in the ass, ask me how I am knowing this!!!

Used rear diff. are iffy at best.

How much do you know about the used diff?

For the used rear diff to be absolutely faithful you will need swap out the axle bearings and seals, crush sleeve, pinion gasket and bearings and so on and forth. You have already paid for your new Rear Diff.

Get the New Rear Diff. and drive it like you stole it. Used Rear diffs are an absolute pain in the ass, ask me how I am knowing this!!!

Good point.

Even if you do end up having as much money as a new rear would cost, you are still coming out ahead.

Your vert get's 3.73's, and your 67 get's a 31 spline rear end. It is an absolute no brainer to me.

I have bought used rear ends before and they worked just fine. Just be sure and look it over to make sure everything looks and feels mechaniclly sound.

They have great total rebuild kits

Mustang Gear Install Kits, Bearing Kits, & Hardware at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Results for rear end > Category: Drivetrain - AmericanMuscle.com

So looking at his id say go with the used and without doing the break convertion you are looking at about $400.

Im currently installing a FRPP Posi, 3.73's and because I already have everything appart i bought the master kit from AM (Ford Racing Mustang Ring & Pinion Installation Kit - 8.8in Solid Rear (86-04 V8) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!)

Ahhh, thats if he can do the rebuild himself.

If not, buy the new one. But if you have access to a press and know how to get the correct preload on the crush sleave and the right pattern from pinion to gear, then your golden.

Raleigh, N.C., Mechanics charge 75 dollars an hour. Some other places out of state might be more or less.

Hats off if you can do the rebuild yourself.:hail2::flag: