hey guys need help with changing the trany fluid

xbajbusx

Oct 11, 2005
hey i just picked up my first 95 mustang gt with automatic trany ,i want to change the fluid it in it its really bad ,how do i do that do i need a filter gaskets ,how much fluid ?can some one give me step by step info how to change the fluid ,please let me know soon i got to do this asap i don't want the tranny to go on me ..

• Sponsors (?)

go to autozone and get a filter for it
jack up your car, unbolt the tranny pan slowly on one side, crack it open and let it drain into pan, then remove the rest of it and let the rest drain out, change filter (just look at it, its easy), rebolt pan, get a funnel and pour tranny fluid back in from under hood, its simple :)

i dont remember how many qts like 4-5 should do?

I recommend the Ford gasket. It's like the VC gaskets in that its rubber over metal and has ferrules on the bolt bosses - a really nice piece.

See TCCoA if you want to flush the whole system (it does hold about 14+ quarts).

You should also note if you have a stock AODE pan or a 4R70 pan - the latter requires a 4R filter.

Good luck.

I would get it done at a shop to get all the old fluid out. They hook up a machine that forces all the old fluid out and puts fresh fluid in. You could not possibly get out as much as they do in your own driveway. I'd just get it done and not worry about it.

There is some bad information here in this thread.

Don't take it to a shop. They'll often do a "power flush", which means they force fluid into your dipstick and out one of your cooler lines- probably missing all the crud in the bottom of your pan.

Do NOT only drop the pan and replace 3-4 quarts. This is probably more harmful then helpful.

You need to change ALL your fluid, including that in your torque converter.

I suggest you buy a Hayne's manual and follow the instructions in there. I'll try to give a general outline though.

You'll need:

14 quarts of Mercon-V spec ATF
A 15/16" (I think, for the crank pulley nut) socket and rachet or breaker bar
10mm socket
Big old catch pan
New tranny pan gasket
New tranny filter

Start by dropping the pan in the manner sage2k. Let all the fluid drain. Leave the pan off for the time being. Pull off the old filter.

Now, disconnect one of the tranny cooler lines. If your not running an auxilary cooler (and you should be), you'll disconnect the line where it meets the factory "cooler" at the driver's side rear of the radiator, near the car's battery. I find it easiest to disconnect the bottom line, then run a rubber hose from the fitting on the radiator into a plastic milk jug because at first the fluid will come out with some force. Run the car until fluid stops coming from the line.

Next, drain the torque converter. To do this, remove the rubber dust cover from the converter cover housing. Next, have a friend spin the engine using the 15/16 bolt on the balancer pulley, until you can see the 10mm drain plug on the converter through the hole in the converter cover housing. Put your drain pan under and remove the drain plug. Let that bitch drain for at least an hour.

While the converter is still draining, take your tranny pan and scrub the **** out of it. You WILL find lots of little metal rubbish at the bottom of the pan, especially around the magnetic catch.

Now install the new filter. Install the clean pan with the new gasket.

Replace the converter drain plug when the converter has completely stopped draining. Replace the rubber dust cover as well.

Now put 5-6 quarts into the tranny. Start the car. With the car idling, add another quart. With the brake held firmly, SLOWLY shift the car through each car. SLOWLY. Now, add another quart.

When you get to 10-11 quarts, start to check the fluid level after adding each new quart.

The AODE should take 14 quarts if I remember correctly.

Also- do NOT use Lucas or any other tranny additive. Do NOT only change part of the fluid. And absolutely do NOT change the fluid without changin the filter!

Good luck, have fun, it's really not that difficult.

DJiCE said:
Someone told me if the fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burnt... Don't Change the fluid...
Most of the times you cause more harm to the tranny...
I think that might be a hair backwards. If the fluid looks and smells burned, that's when it's risky to change it. :)

Yeah, there is a school of thought that as long as the tranny is still working, don't **** with the fluid...

Personally, I think that the benefits of switching to Mercon V (namely, greater temperature control) make it worth it as long as the fluid change is done correctly.

I personally believe that alot of the failures you hear about after a fluid change are due to someone reusing the old filter (basically instant tranny death) or not changing ALL the fluid.