hooker long tubes and magnaflow o/r x pipe??

lukerat

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
columbus, oh
i have the x pipe ( and magnapacks but that is besides the point) and the next exhaust upgrade I want to install is a good set of headers. I am looking at Holly (old brand, well trusted for quality and such) and I was thinking, will long tubes fit my x pipe? If not, what are some ways that I can rig something up that will not be overly difficult (doing the install myself, have access to welding equiptment but novice here). Does anyone have this combo? After doing some thinking (see last post) i am staying with the 2v, geting the dss 5L stroker kit, and eventually look to adding a kb 9#. will longtubes be a good compliment with this setup, even with the supercharger? (ive heard the way to go is shorties with sc applications, but I havent heard anything definitive on the subject.If so, will the shorties fit right up with my current application?) Any info is greatly appreciated! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

How much are you gonna pay for your long tubes? I am looking in to getting some. maybe hooker if the price is good. Why do you pick long tubes over shorties? How hard are the tubes to install your self? What woudl it cost to have them installed at a shop (round about figure)

im not really sure how much they will cost, im trying to go with hooker because it is a trustworthy name thats been on the scene for a long while, with a good quality product. The reason I want to go with the longtubes instead of shorties is that ive seen more places with longtubes readily available. I have heard that shorties are the way to go if you are planning a sc application but I asked that in my original question and recieved no response, therefore I really dont know. I have heard of the incredible gains with the longtubes n/a, but i dont know if that would hinder it with f/i. I hope someone will give me a definite on that one, I do not want to make a mistake and buy something that will not compliment my eventual application. As for the install, I will be doing that myself (under the supervision of a pro; married into a racing family...they build drag cars, all juice, no boost)

lukerat said:
im not really sure how much they will cost, im trying to go with hooker because it is a trustworthy name thats been on the scene for a long while, with a good quality product. The reason I want to go with the longtubes instead of shorties is that ive seen more places with longtubes readily available. I have heard that shorties are the way to go if you are planning a sc application but I asked that in my original question and recieved no response, therefore I really dont know. I have heard of the incredible gains with the longtubes n/a, but i dont know if that would hinder it with f/i. I hope someone will give me a definite on that one, I do not want to make a mistake and buy something that will not compliment my eventual application. As for the install, I will be doing that myself (under the supervision of a pro; married into a racing family...they build drag cars, all juice, no boost)

Im 99.9% sure long tubes will make more power than shorties in all applications, except possibly on a super high reving motor.

allwhitestang said:
I have an automatic 98 w/ flows and a k&n cold air intake. i'm gettin ready to put long tube bbk headers, with the bbk off road h-pipe. good match? :shrug:
I would get the bbk off road x. But With the flowmaster catback it is going to give you a really bad rattling noise since the flowmaster is chambered. The only way to get rid of it is to either get the catted x or h or get straight through mufflers like magnaflow, bassani, or borla. :nice:

You need a short x pipe to match the long tube headers.

The advantage of the Hooker headers is you can drop the tranny without removing a header. All other LT headers you have to remove one header to drop the tranny.

BBK's are good but you will face the above problem.

FST BLK Pony said:
You need a short x pipe to match the long tube headers.

The advantage of the Hooker headers is you can drop the tranny without removing a header. All other LT headers you have to remove one header to drop the tranny.

BBK's are good but you will face the above problem.

I didn't have to remove a header during my two tranny installs.