How fast is too fast for a street car? *SERIOUS DISCUSSION*

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm guessing a 1000 at the crank is too much?:D

In all seriousness, you guys aren't too far off from what even I consider streetable. For me, I have a Gen 7 kit in my car and a boost knob, so I can turn it down to 600 at the wheels or less very easily, which is still stupid fast. Then at the track I can throw some race fuel in there and jack that sucker way up. I've never run it on a dyno at that level, but at 3650# and a 143 mph trap, that comes out to almost 850 at the wheels in a calculator. For me, my eventual goal is to keep my full A/C, interior, 8 speaker 1000 watt sound system and everything else but have the track kick me off for not having a parachute!!!:D

There is no HP limit to a street car. You could take a 1000 dragster on the street, but if you never go near WOT, what's the problem?

Seriously, it's all about practicality. If you can run pump gas, and the car can be driven on public roads (potholes, drive in bumper/bumper traffic for 200 miles), then I don't see any limit. All that power doesn't have to be used, it's up to the driver to stay off the throttle when it's not safe. Each driver determines their own streetability requirements.

Some may not like your car w/ all the suspension work you have done (I am sure the ride is far from a cadillac now). It's too subjective to determine.
Scott

Paul I know exactly what you mean, and I have pondered it myself. I'd say mid/low 11's and 125mph is the MAX I would ever need in any car that is designed to be driven on the street.

I wouldnt look at rwhp or ET's, but mph if you're looking for power on the street. You'll never hook on dr's with that kind of power anyways so any racing will most likely be done from a roll.

My opinion? HCI built 347 making 400rwhp NA, then bolt on a Centri-charger and shoot for 550rwhp with a safe tune. The boost comes on easy so it wont blow off the tires and they are easy to tune safely. It'll run fast enough to out-do any non-crazy modded true street car.

The NOS setup you mentioned originally might not be to bad of a solution. You don't really lose the fuel economy for having it lie dormant in your trunk. Also, a nice S/C would work too.

But back to the question, IMHO, running low 12s, with street tires is nice. That will put you probaly 11.7/8 with DRs'. I also think that after about 500hp, you will be spending a lot more money to get the power to the ground on street tires than it is worth.