How much would I get for my built AOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaTony

Jul 21, 2010
I've got a Lentech built AOD in my fox. The previous owner put it in, he's a big fan of AOD over manual. I admit, it's a really sweet setup for an AOD. All the other AODs I've tried, even in new Mustangs, were garbage compared to this one. It shifts very firm, chirps the wheels real nice, etc. While I have enjoyed more and more the ease and comfort of a nice AOD while I'm out cruising, I do miss the control I get from a manual and am seriously considering a TKO 600 swap.

Obviously this isn't a cheap swap once you factor in the transmission, a decent clutch, and all the other miscellaneous parts required, and I'd like to recoup as much of my investment as possible by selling off the AOD. I've been out of the Mustang scene for a long time (they always come back, don't they?), and I never knew anything about AODs anyway, so I'm curious how much I should expect to pull from selling it. Also, should I expect it to sell fast, is there a demand for these setups?

Before owning this car I thought I was a die-hard stickshift guy. While I still would prefer a manual, this AOD setup has shown me that a properly built AOD can be pretty damn sweet as well. So, if I shouldn't expect to recoup much from selling it, I might just end up keeping it as the swap might not turn out to seem worth it.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys are real nice around here I take it.

I'm seriously just looking for a ballpark figure of what it would sell for, and maybe any factors that would effect the value. Like I said, this is helping me decide if it's even going to be worth it to me. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy something from a new guy. Besides, I'd expect to sell it locally on craigslist or something given shipping charges.

The Lentech AOD is nice, but I still think I would enjoy the stickshift. If I were just focused on drag racing, it would be a no-brainer, I'd keep the AOD and probably build it up even more. But, these days I am becoming more interested in building and enjoying a car that handles well, and as far as control goes a manual transmission is the obvious choice. Still, I know there will always be those days when I don't feel like shifting - hot weather because it makes me lethargic, heavy traffic, hills (in-laws live in San Francisco), etc. But, overall I think I would have more fun with a manual.

Also, if anyone knows a place that sells an "AOD to TKO" conversion kit please let me know.

Looks like promotionpowertrain.com sells kits that would run around $3.2-3.7k including TKO600, clutch, shifter, pedals, and everything else. Seems a little steep and I don't see where it says what clutch/flywheel is in the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.