How rare is a 1988 LX hatch with t-tops?

• Sponsors (?)

terminatorz1157qe.jpg

Baloney ive seen 93's with t-tops that were done after they purchased it. Not all 88 t-tops were GTs most of them were but there were LX models too with the t-tops. I had one my first mustang was an 88gt with t-tops. I parted it out and some guy bought the shell and had the roof and doors and stuff put on his notch back mustang.

i am pretty sure....online i found that in 83 they went to a third party for the reason of ford not having the time or know how to make the mustang a convertible ill see if i can find it. it said in 84 ford started making them out of the factor. ill see if i can find it again.

You could get t-tops on any model...even coupes. A friend of mine used to own a 4-banger 87 LX coupe w/ t-tops. What a cool little car!

Hell, you use to be able to get a sunroof on a coupe. I think 83 or 84 was the last year for that.

Oh also i think the first year Ford started doing the convertibles was 1994 with the SN95. I remember seeing an article in some Mustang magazine showing how the cars were shipped out to "cars and concepts" to have the convertible roofs put on and then shipped back to Ford. The cars in the pictures were Aero-nosed Fox Mustangs...so they definitely went past 1983 in terms of shipping them out.

C&C also did the t-tops, but 1988 was the last year you could get them, and i beleive those were only ordered unfilled from the 1987 model year. Not many made.

In the years before, T-tops were pentiful. I saw figures that from 81-86, 50% of all mustangs came with t-tops, while only 20% got sunroofs. That number dropped for 87 and even more for 88.

There aren't any definite numbers on t-top production.

Is it rare? No, is it desireable??? Yes

I think someone asked this in one of the stang mags (5.0 Stang?) this month. The answer was not definite as I recall.

HISSIN50 said:
I think someone asked this in one of the stang mags (5.0 Stang?) this month. The answer was not definite as I recall.

Their was a question this month and last months I noticed after you said you thought you saw one. After seeing those questions and reply's I emailed 5.0 mustangs and superfords and the editor in chief steve turner called me back interested in seeing it. He came with known mustang enthusiast Mark Houlahan and they looked the car over pretty good and decoded all the codes on the car and it is what it looks like, an 88 t-top and not a GT. They found out it was one of the first ones built that year and bought it right there. They said it will be in the magazine in a couple of months as they redo it and bring back to life and looking good.

vnmsgt said:
Their was a question this month and last months I noticed after you said you thought you saw one. After seeing those questions and reply's I emailed 5.0 mustangs and superfords and the editor in chief steve turner called me back interested in seeing it. He came with known mustang enthusiast Mark Houlahan and they looked the car over pretty good and decoded all the codes on the car and it is what it looks like, an 88 t-top and not a GT. They found out it was one of the first ones built that year and bought it right there. They said it will be in the magazine in a couple of months as they redo it and bring back to life and looking good.
Wow. So they now have the car you were askin about? That's pretty cool. You've been busy! So now are you hunting for another stang?

I'm a GT type of guy, and would love just to have an 87-88 GT with T-tops. Or a targa conversion on my '94. :drool:

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the info and post up when your car is in the mag :nice: