IM GOING TURBO

I agree with both 25th and millhouse that those magazine buildups are normally atypical. I feel like 400rwhp on a stock longblock at 10psi is easily attainable. Restrictive chambered muffs on a turbo car are definitely worth 30-40rwhp on an application like this.

I have been tuning my own car now for about 6 months with a tweecer and i currently have a "winter tune" on my car now thats what i consider extra safe. I would estimate that i am down about 25rwhp or so from my more aggressive summer tunes! The tune can make all the difference in the world. A competant tuner can make or break a combo!

Either way i think you made the right call with the turbo kit...the HP kits are tried and true. You will love it! I will also be going with a similar single turbo kit on my car this coming summer! can't wait!

• Sponsors (?)

you'll love the turbo, its awesome, the torque is incredible... i have the hp stage 1 in my car with a 351w... the wait is long, but the results mmmm you'll love it...
my only suggestion is to invest in some upgrades that will help you get traction:nice:

8psi is the most you can run with a stock engine, you might be able to hold 9-10, but thats pushing it, dont even get me started on 18psi wont happen...

Really, it's going to hold what the block is capable of supporting. Realistically, with a good set of head gaskets and studs...it's not unheard of to run 14psi or more on an otherwise stock longblock.

I have two problems with turbo mustangs.
1- thay make power so easy, if you have even heads a turbo will put you in the block spliting area. let alone if you have a 331 with a good set of heads, cam and intake. put the turbo on that and your going to need a aftermarket block forsure. and aftermarket blocks are not cheap.

2-the sound, i love the sound of a off road h-pipe and a chambered muffs. and a turbo not only make the car qiter
but also not working well with chambered muffs well nuff said

if i can get around thows two things it will be turbo time for sure

1- thay make power so easy, if you have even heads a turbo will put you in the block spliting area. let alone if you have a 331 with a good set of heads, cam and intake. put the turbo on that and your going to need a aftermarket block forsure. and aftermarket blocks are not cheap.

2-the sound, i love the sound of a off road h-pipe and a chambered muffs. and a turbo not only make the car qiter

if i can get around thows two things it will be turbo time for sure

I agree with everything except number 2. I actually like the sound of my turbo setup (no muff's). Click on the link in my sig for the video. :nice:

What was that with? 5-6 psi?

9psi spring, not sure what it saw on the dyno as I spent the dyno time under the hood making sure things were right.

It's the base Hellion kit with the 62mm. The car has a Edelbrock intake, shorties, o/r H, Flowmaster catback and made 215 or so rwhp before the turbo. After the instal with the new Bassani headers and Y pipe it made 350/420. The owner was happy with it as the car pulls good, but he too read all the mags and online and expected more. He plans to build a Dart stroker with AFRs etc, so it really doesn't matter, he just wanted more out of it for now.

9psi spring, not sure what it saw on the dyno as I spent the dyno time under the hood making sure things were right.

It's the base Hellion kit with the 62mm. The car has a Edelbrock intake, shorties, o/r H, Flowmaster catback and made 215 or so rwhp before the turbo. After the instal with the new Bassani headers and Y pipe it made 350/420. The owner was happy with it as the car pulls good, but he too read all the mags and online and expected more. He plans to build a Dart stroker with AFRs etc, so it really doesn't matter, he just wanted more out of it for now.

Is he running a modular setup? The turbo kit's for foxbody's include specific turbo headers...so there is no way to put any other type of aftermarkets on.

I'd venture to say the missing power is from a combo of the catback and the tune. If he doesn't get rid of the slowmasters...they will rob more power from him with a bigger/better combo.

8psi is the most you can run with a stock engine, you might be able to hold 9-10, but thats pushing it, dont even get me started on 18psi wont happen...

:nonono:

Bone stock 138k mile long block. Pulled the heads off to take a look at everything and put them back on with stock gaskets and bolts :eek: Running 14psi at the end of the 1/8 through 2 54mm turbos. Has run 6.19@110. For those of you without a calculator, that's good for 9.70s. :D
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24100.0

I'm assuming this setup has good head gaskets and probably studs, but another incredible stock short block/E7 combo.
-stock bottom end (108+k miles), no girdles
-E7's with 1.94/1.60 valves, diy exhaust porting and intake tapered to meet up to the Holley runners
-stock cam & lifters
-cobra roller rockers
-Holley Systemax intake
-75mm TB
-reversed Motorsport shorty headers
-Turbonetics T76 with Q trim, .96 a/r, Racegate w/ manual controller
-air/air intercooler 25x6x3.5" core
-42 lb/hr injectors
-Aeromotive A1000 pump, -10 feed/-6 return lines
-SDS programmable EFI
-MSD 6AL w/ 2-step
-G-Force T5 (injured) 3.22 first gear, 5th gear removed
-Promotion powertrain Kustom clutch
-3.55 gears, spool, 33 spline axles
-27x11.50 Hoosier Quick time Pros
This car has been 9.87@140mph :D
Makes 18psi!! The car made 555/575 at the wheels at 15psi. He claims hp/et calculators put it at 675-725. And it has 200 1/4 passes under its belt. This just isn't right, but I love it.

1-How is this a bad thing??
2- http://youtube.com/watch?v=_gJWxm5Bl-k You're right, flows sound way cooler than a turbo spooling through an open DP.
Language warning.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/70b1d55f-51b0-41c3-bde4-98c8013a21bd.htm

Is he running a modular setup? The turbo kit's for foxbody's include specific turbo headers...so there is no way to put any other type of aftermarkets on.

I'd venture to say the missing power is from a combo of the catback and the tune. If he doesn't get rid of the slowmasters...they will rob more power from him with a bigger/better combo.

Nope 5.0 with the Hellion 5.0 kit. He got the Bassani headers on now that comes with the kit. The BBKs he had are gone now.

He bought some Dynomax Race Bullets but we haven't installed them yet, and the dyno tuner has worked with a bunch of Turbo cars, but I have no idea how good the tune is.

Nope 5.0 with the Hellion 5.0 kit. He got the Bassani headers on now that comes with the kit. The BBKs he had are gone now.

He bought some Dynomax Race Bullets but we haven't installed them yet, and the dyno tuner has worked with a bunch of Turbo cars, but I have no idea how good the tune is.

The kit comes with custom turbo headers in order to mount the turbo and crossover. You can't use any other type of header other than what's included with the kit…this is the way the fox body kit's work.

As far as the tune goes…it doesn't take much to gain or loose serious power with a turbo setup. Simply adding 5* to the total can yield significant h/p and torque gains…and if the tuner is not on his game (or perhaps being lazy) you can leave quite a bit of power on the table.

The kit comes with custom turbo headers in order to mount the turbo and crossover. You can't use any other type of header other than what's included with the kit…this is the way the fox body kit's work.

As far as the tune goes…it doesn't take much to gain or loose serious power with a turbo setup. Simply adding 5* to the total can yield significant h/p and torque gains…and if the tuner is not on his game (or perhaps being lazy) you can leave quite a bit of power on the table.

Edit: I just re-read your post...and it seems I may have mis-read it. If Hellion sources it's header builds from Bassani...then it's all good. They are not your standard header however...and really are just part of the kit itself.

1-How is this a bad thing??
2- http://youtube.com/watch?v=_gJWxm5Bl-k You're right, flows sound way cooler than a turbo spooling through an open DP.
Language warning.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/70b1d55f-51b0-41c3-bde4-98c8013a21bd.htm

IT just adds cost to the build. lets say a guy has a good 331 combo, he then puts puts a turbo kit on and runs just 6 psi. he takes it to the dyno and it makes over 600 then the 1st pass down the track he splits the block and has to start all over. and thats not even taking into account finding a clutch that is not a leg workout and still able to handle the power. the other problem is getting that kind of power to hook on the street.