inner tie rod end help

roxtro

Feb 13, 2006
'97 cobra125k miles, where can i get GOOD step by step directions on how to change these? Give me some good tips if possible. Also what else should I change while Im in there..... outer tie rods?wheel bearings ect? I havent worked on alot of cars but Im a tool and die maker who works on alot of complicated assemblies so Ill be alright, TY in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Take off wheels

Loosen the nut on the inner tie rod end that hold the outer end tight

Disconnect the outer tie rod end from the spindle.

Take the boot off the rack that connects to the inners.

There is a special tool...looks like a big MAG flashlight. They come with 4-5 different size peices that fit over the tie rod nut. The tube fits over the inner tie rod and you just loosen it. (I'm sure an end wrench will work, but I have never tried it.

Next, put the new tie rods on...(Keep them square with the threads. If the tie rod doesn't start to thread on straight, start over because the threads are soft and they will strip.

The clamps are a bioootch to put back on....I cut myself pretty bad trying. After the bleeding stopped, I went to Autozone and bought two radiator hose clamps and put the boots back on with them.

I would suggest buying MOOGS brand. I used those and they are tight and stiff as can be. My old ones with 53K couldn't even hold themselves up without the outers!!!!

Glad to hear your replacing them!

One more thing!!

My outers at 53K were just as tight as the new ones. I bought the 00 Cobra R outers from the Ford Motorsport catalog. 44 each, yeah I know, but I wanted good ones. It was not a waste of money, but it was unecessary to spend that much. But yours at 125K...replace them. If they break and you hit the wall...you lose!!!

The outer wheels hubs...Spin them with the calipers off, and the rotors on. The mass of the rotor keeps them spinning longer. If they are quiet...keep them. IF they are growling...which you WILL HEAR!! Replace them. I did one on a buddys Cobra..it was 53 for the cheap one and 70 for the "good" one.