Intake Decision

Smason

Jul 27, 2005
Hey guys, new to the site. I'm deciding on an intake for the stock 5.0 in my 90 LX. The decision is between FMS Cobra, Edelbrock Peformer, or the GT 40. Maintaining or improving torue is at the top of my list. This decision is mainly due to my rash choice to buy 1 3/4 inch shorties without any mods to the engine (and not being fully aware of what too much header can do to torque). I don't feel a big loss in torque to the car, but I don't want to sacrifice any more if there is any loss. I have 70mm TB and EGR spacer on the way and plan on using the 19lb inj for now. Street car is the intent with a little more giddyup. Cam and heads in the future but not right now.

Thanks.. and if I am asking a dupe question, sorry about that.

Shane

• Sponsors (?)

Cobra intake will provide more low end torque vs. the GT-40 intake, although the Gt-40 intake will give you more of the seat of the pants feeling on the top end. Can't say anything on the Performer intake as I have no experience with it.

For your application you might consider a TFS Street Heat. It will make more HP & TQ than the Cobra or GT40 (which are the same). Also, a brand spanking new Street Heat can be found for $300 bucks!!! You will also have some room left to grow....not too much, but some.

You might try and go cheap and her the Professional Products "typhoon" intake, its a direct copy of eddlebrock performer. And its pretty damn cheap too, they are like 300$ and you can get some deals on ebay....

But yes the cobra will have more lowend...

ss93cobra said:
Cobra intake will provide more low end torque vs. the GT-40 intake, although the Gt-40 intake will give you more of the seat of the pants feeling on the top end. Can't say anything on the Performer intake as I have no experience with it.

Cobra is a GT40 series intake. Nearly an inmeasurable difference. Torque would probably the most with a ported lower STOCK intake. But the thing is if you have heads..even with a ported lower its still going to get choked. Next is the GT40series. Port the lower on this style intake will only improve on its already torque output, which is above the rest. Then the larger intake runners of the performer or TFS series intakes will move the power band up some, lose alittle torque lower on the rpms, but will or SHould top out with a higher hp. Overall average..a ported lower intake on a GT40series is my vote. But I have the TFS street, I went with this after an explorer and track heat. Kinda in the middle. Its working well for me. But I think a ported lower with a real gt40 tubular would give a street heat a real real though time making more average output.

As for the typhoon..eh, I know its cheaper..and nearly the exact same as a performer..but its not. Its imported, and has casting crusties on the inside..you get what you pay for. You can get a new typhoon for the same price you pay for an nearly new, and just as good, cobra intake.

ss93cobra said:
I realiize that, thank you though. Regarding an immeasurable difference, from first hand experience I'd have to disagree with you...

The flow tests I've seen (SF600) and the dyno tests done by AFM show no real difference in the Cobra/GT40/Explorer. What were your measured results like? Intake change only?