Is aftermarket K-member really better?

dankushead

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
The aftermarket MM k-member looks so small and weak compared to the massive one on the car, I can't imagine that it would be more reliable, stronger, or give better handling. Can somebody please explain it to me, sorry for all my newb questions, just trying to get some firm answers.

• Sponsors (?)

The two main reasons for a tubular K-member is the weight reduction and for added clearance around the engine. It can allow for better handling as it stiffens things up a bit. The stock k-member is really just stamped steel that is spot welded together and does flex a little bit where as a fully welded tubular K-member is fully welded and braced.

Now is it safer or more reliable than stock? Well that is debatable I'm sure. I've seen cars that have suffered front end collisions with tubular K-members have no damage. I've seen at least one that did have a crack it in after an accident.

I put a UPR K-member set up on my car and drove it on the street for 2 years. I put some pretty nasty abuse to that thing and never had an issue. That includes hitting a pot hole where the passenger side A arm bottomed out against the pavement and didn't so much as bend it.

Bill

I've always wanted the MM K-Member, but I'm really concerned about safety.

In a front-end collision the stock K member is supposed to drop the engine down under the car so that it doesn't end up in your lap. Nobody so far has been able to say that theirs will do the same except "Our product meets or exceeds OEM specs".. Well, what does that mean? I'm assuming they're talking about strength, but that's only 1/2 of the design.

Riley

In a front-end collision the stock K member is supposed to drop the engine down under the car so that it doesn't end up in your lap. Nobody so far has been able to say that theirs will do the same except "Our product meets or exceeds OEM specs".. Well, what does that mean? I'm assuming they're talking about strength, but that's only 1/2 of the design.

Riley

I can assure you no ones aftermarket K-member was designed to drop the engine in a collision. They are designed soley for weight reduction, clearance and some for improved suspension geometry but not for driver or passenger safety.

Bill

Hence the reason some insurance companies have not covered cars after an accident after they saw the tubular K.

The only way I would put a tubular K in is if I was turboing my car and it was required.