Is there such a thing as a "Factory Freak"?

• Sponsors (?)

well the guy i run with has a 331stroker motor and runs 11.00 flat at only 120mph n/a. we have an awesome track here with the stock converter in the car i was cutting 2.0 60fts and ran a 14.00 flat several times

Maybe, but certainly not as often as people say it does...

5spd GT said:
About every full tenth taken off your 60ft takes off about .2 tenths from your E.T....

I'm begining to think this is just as bad of a myth as the factory freak.

I've had runs with 1.9 60' times at 13.2 seconds then the same day I had a 2.2 60' and ran a 13.1. And that didn't just happen once. I understand that the physics of it should make that statement true but (at least for me) it isn't.

Anyways, back on topic. I'd believe engines with a little more hp but I don't know about 20+ differences. Unless the car had been leaned out, wrong part put on, cam degreed wrong or advanced timing was put in it... etc..

Maybe one or two could sneek by this way but certainly not as often as everyone makes it seem to occur.

2c

rsw007 said:
well the guy i run with has a 331stroker motor and runs 11.00 flat at only 120mph n/a. we have an awesome track here with the stock converter in the car i was cutting 2.0 60fts and ran a 14.00 flat several times
Thats about rite,7/10's with a good converter.What kind and size of tires are you running?

FastGT94 said:
I'm begining to think this is just as bad of a myth as the factory freak.

I've had runs with 1.9 60' times at 13.2 seconds then the same day I had a 2.2 60' and ran a 13.1. And that didn't just happen once. I understand that the physics of it should make that statement true but (at least for me) it isn't.

Physics are rarely wrong...if you shift the exact same and at the same rpm...then you will see nearly a .2 second difference off your E.T. if your 60fts go down a tenth...

No that myth isn't nearly as bad...if it is a myth at all...like I said Physics is rarely wrong...

So you get your clutch and all in and adjusted? (It's 5spd GT from the corral)...

Willys1 - Weight becomes a factor in your 60fts either and tune...if you think the driver has nothing to do with it...then those are two key factors in the time...

My car weighs 3400lbs with me in it and me and you weigh right at the same and you have an AOD and I have a 5spd...

So far everything appears right on...

25thmustang said:
Are you KIDDING??? I have 272 rwhp, an untouched original suspension and pulled 12.63. You think my car should be running mid 13s? Its not all about the power but how you manage to get it to the ground, and with a 99 mph trap, 13.3 is getting it to the ground. Plus his 210 hp is through an auto with a converter, which will kill rwhp numbers.

This isnt a factory freak, its a car that has been well planned and has the right mods!

No I'm not kidding...How much does your car weigh? Supposedly his car weighs 3280...I have doubts about his times especially through an auto...With your RWHP your and your ET time your car should be around 3000lbs or a little less...It just seems like some of you are running too fast for what you have...why lie...that's all.

Highbredcloud said:
No I'm not kidding...How much does your car weigh? Supposedly his car weighs 3280...I have doubts about his times especially through an auto...With your RWHP your and your ET time your car should be around 3000lbs or a little less...It just seems like some of you are running too fast for what you have...why lie...that's all.

I know what you mean on somepeople running faster than what they actually can do but 25thMustang has did it...he has a video to prove it...his RWHP numbers are up there (haven't seen them that high with those mods)...but so far I have no reason to doubt him...

5spd GT said:
I know what you mean on somepeople running faster than what they actually can do but 25thMustang has did it...he has a video to prove it...his RWHP numbers are up there (haven't seen them that high with those mods)...but so far I have no reason to doubt him...

I wasn't particularly pointing the finger at him, however, its rsw007 times that I question...now it could be elevation or just a messed up time slip (yes that has happend to few people before)...But while 25thMustang is on the subject I can't believe he's doing that on stock heads, cam and a Cobra intake...I'd be interested to find out how much his car weighs...Now I have seen cars that run stock parts for the class requirement but they are hardly stock...stock heads with $1000 dollar vavle jobs...there is little tricks to everything I just think it is misleading to say I ran this or that on those parts...And he's making what...272RWHP out of stock heads and cam...come on spill the beans what you really have...if not than I wish there where more stock headed/ cam Mustangs that made 272RWHP...Granted a driver and traction is what matters but HP ultimately determines how fast you go...

Im the other kid with the car that mike raced or not raced but he was in front of me like 5 cars ahead and i hear him lay on it, so i do the same and thought i would pull right to him but i dident. Dont worry mike ill be giveing your cell a call tomoarw , we gonna tape this race between me and u :D And yes i can drive my car just fine ask any of my friends that rode with me

Highbredcloud said:
I wasn't particularly pointing the finger at him, however, its rsw007 times that I question...now it could be elevation or just a messed up time slip (yes that has happend to few people before)...But while 25thMustang is on the subject I can't believe he's doing that on stock heads, cam and a Cobra intake...I'd be interested to find out how much his car weighs...Now I have seen cars that run stock parts for the class requirement but they are hardly stock...stock heads with $1000 dollar vavle jobs...there is little tricks to everything I just think it is misleading to say I ran this or that on those parts...And he's making what...272RWHP out of stock heads and cam...come on spill the beans what you really have...if not than I wish there where more stock headed/ cam Mustangs that made 272RWHP...Granted a driver and traction is what matters but HP ultimately determines how fast you go...

True...

Every car built is a "factory freak". Engines,transmissions,axles all come from seperate factories and are built to a Blueprint spec That means +or- so many thousands is acceptable. Camshafts, pistons, rings and bearings are all the same way. If you happen to get a motor set to the loose side of clearences it will accelerate quicker, same goes for a loose trans and axle assembly. If the stars align properly and you get a car that gets all 3, then that car will be faster than one on the opposite end of the spectrum. Its justs the way cars are made. If the front rotor bearings are adjusted alittle tighter, that car will be alittle slower. Camshafts are made on machinery that wears out, if your cam was made at the beginning of a run, then it will be closer to blueprint than one made at the end of the run.This goes for every single part on the car.

I have a set of GT-40 (1.84/1.54) valves in the heads, but they are not ported (I can get pictures to varify this at my house). It has 1.7 rockers, stock bottem end, stock cam, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Mac CAI, stock inj. AFPR, LTs, Prochamber, Catback, and pulleys. I agree, no reason to lie, and I have a few people who can back me up on this (StangLX, ERnotch, etc...), but these people all also run extremely good times for the mods (go figure)! Car weighs 3150+ to make class rules, has all options, 2001 leather seats, and such!

As far as you running a second slower, Im sure he has more converter, better tranny parts or something. Add in a better track, cooler air and whatnot and you have a great combo. Also dead hooking isnt always good, might bog the motor and kill it, this is what happened to my AOD with a 2400 stall and 3.73s. Car trapped 97-98 but ran low 14s with 2.2+ 60's dead hooking!

Its ALL in the conbo and getting it all tuned and working right!

5spd GT said:
Physics are rarely wrong...if you shift the exact same and at the same rpm...then you will see nearly a .2 second difference off your E.T. if your 60fts go down a tenth...

No that myth isn't nearly as bad...if it is a myth at all...like I said Physics is rarely wrong...

So you get your clutch and all in and adjusted? (It's 5spd GT from the corral)...

I know they are rarely wrong but in my case I've been doubting them. Maybe there's some unknown variable that is causing this to happen. Who knows I'm sure the 60' concept isn't a myth, I guess I was more a less venting about what I've run into with that. :banana:

Clutch isn't in just yet, I've been busy this week and won't have time to work on it till either tonight or Sunday. :bang: I'm hoping to at least change the pilot bearing and install the flywheel / clutch & pressure plate tonight and put the tranny in on sunday but time will tell.

rsw007 said:
well when i get home tonight ill try to scan my last 4 runs that were all on the same night time sheets for you guys. i thinck they were 13.36,13.35,13.34 and then another 13.35

What are your exact mods...everything that helps you go faster?

Yeah "dead hooking" (not spinning) doesn't mean the best 60ft...

Dale - Good Luck with the clutch...I got my vibrating pedal problem fixed...I guess it was just to loose? So I tightened it and all is well :nice:

4.10 gears,pullies,70mm t/b,76mm mass air,elec. fan,k&n panel filter,adj. fuel reg. set @28psi and timing @14 degrees,bbk shorty headers,h-pipe,super turbo muffs with dumps,sub frame con.,driveshaft loop,rebuilt tranny with valvebody and clutches and mech diode drum,9.5" edge converter with 3000 stall,steeda hardcore upper and lower control arms,lowering springs in rear and drag springs in front with cheap monroe shocks and struts. amer. racer g60 tires dot legal,weld draglights
weight removed-front and rear sway bars,dog bone on rearend,tail pipes,smog pump,spare jack and sound mat. in this form it ran 13.35@99mph in perfect weather. then went back after removing p/s and went 13.34@99mph in poor weather.

ive since removed the a/c, fog light mounts and bar and moved battery to the rear and put a fiber glasshood on.now i hope to run a 13.299 in good weather.