Is this a good buy?

Cruizer67

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
Kingsburg Ca...
it's a 1968 Fastback GT. 390 car with a 4 speed (no motor or trans though ) and air conditioning... disk brakes and power assist. There is some body work involved... the most major part is a rear qtr panel.. can get a new one for 400.00 little floor rust and need a rad support. ... other than that 90-95 percent of the car is there .. other than it being a basket case. the guy is letting me have it for 6000.00 if I want it.. what are your opinions??

Be honest... would you buy it..

• Sponsors (?)

if there's nothing more wrong with it and the engine, trans, brakes, and ac stuff are all still there i'd say $6k is a darn good price, actually. just plan spending about 3 times that by the time it's done, though.

Well i pulled the trigger and bought the car. After it was delivered i had a chance to go over it and this is what i know about it so far..

i will be getting the marti report...

it's an S code Fastback. all the body panels are there but could use some refreshing up. all over nothing is attached (doors fenders nothing.. )
the car is a true 390 w/GT options
the 390 was the 325 hp motor and it is a 4 speed car.
has the 9 inch rear.. i'll cjeck the gearing tonight.
the car has an original am/fm philco radio. also has the clock and the factory tach.
it also has the deluxe fold down rear seats as well as the trap door to the truck .

it oly took me a minute to decide on if i should buy the car.. thr prices are getting out of hand especially for the big block cars.

So I will be looking for a 390.. if some one has an idea where to get one.... was thinking on getting one out of a fairlane or something. Wife doens't want a lot of power just a nice driver.. it will be her car... she will do a lot of the work ..

also can i put a t-5 behind it? it should take the bellhouseing? or is the bolt pattern different?

I will post pictures later..

should i move this post to the tech section??

thanks

sounds like you did pretty good on this one. with all the other options it has i wonder if it cam with the overhead console, the marti report should tell ya.

a 390 out of a fairlane would be good choice and if your budget can stand it i'd add some Edelbrock heads and a Blue Thunder or original 428 PI intake to lose some of that weight on the front end. doing an aluminum intake, heads and water pump will bring the weight down pretty close to what a 351w weighs, epecially if you toss the stock exhaust manifolds for headers too, i'd use the FPA shorty headers if you go that route.

you might be able to use a beefed up T5 but i'd plan on upgrading to a Tremec instead. i believe Keisler makes a kit for the 390 already. i'd bet the 9" already has a 3.25 gear as that is the most common gear for the 390 4 spd but it could also be a 3.00, if it already has the 3.25 set i'd leave it as is and just add a traction lok diff if it doesn't already have one. if it has something other than the 3.25 i'd look at getting one for it, it's a great gear and with a 5 speed it'll be running nice and low revs on the highway.

BTW, what color is it? if it's highland green that would be sweet, can you say Bullitt?!!!!!!!!!!!:D

here are a few pictures

Attachments

• gt driver side.jpg
    gt driver side.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 99
  • gt passenger side.jpg
    gt passenger side.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 92
I can't tell if it was any color to be honest. it looks more like a light shade of surface rust.
I plan to get the Marti Report.. then i will know more..

I was out looking at it and noticed that the speedometer has a trip meter. i've nevver seen one before was this a stock option?

I can't tell if it was any color to be honest. it looks more like a light shade of surface rust.
I plan to get the Marti Report.. then i will know more..

I was out looking at it and noticed that the speedometer has a trip meter. i've nevver seen one before was this a stock option?

the trip-ometer was standard on cars with the tach only.