JBA header coating

rog

May 28, 2005
Phx,AZ
Hello,

I have JBA stainless shorty headers installed.
I live in hot Arizona and I'd like opinions on whether I'd
be better off with ceramic coated headers.JBA will
coat them for me (for a price of course).Also there's
Jet Hot who also coat.
Additionally,JBA recommends Steeda motor mounts for
their headers.Any opinons on whether to keep the stock
mounts or change to Steeda.

Thanks,
Rog

• Sponsors (?)

Guys, here is what the JBA header instructions dated 3/05 (with the 2 shorties showing on the cover,PN 1675S 1-5/8 stainless and PN 1675S-1 1-1/2 stainless) say about the mounts

Note:For refinement,both 2005 Mustang V-8 engines are installed using hydromount brushings on either side of the block.These liquid-filled engine mounts are tuned to quell specific unwanted vibration.Under extreme driving conditions these mounts allow excessive engine movement.We recommend replacing these motor mounts with performance mounts available from Steeda PN# 555-4005.

I have the 1-5/8 (1675S).

Any opionions about stainless vs coating in a hot climate?

Thanks.

Looks like the verbiage from the longtube install instructions.

The coating will lower the temperature under your hood. Whether that translates to more power (and if so, how much) is probably only going to be known by doing it.

To quote from another thread, the ceramic and titanium coatings help only when the exhaust temp is over 1500 degrees F. You only see those temps when you are running a turbo system. The ceramic coated headers won't help just because it is over 100 degrees F outside.

Here's the quote from "1fastz":

"unfortunatly YOUR HEADER WILL NEVER REACH 1400 plus
unless its a turbo car or you ahve a HORRIBLE tune.. normal exhaust temps run in the 1250 - 1500 range .. under full load dependign on timeing etc..

the header NEVER will reach the full temp of the exhaust dflowing through it in fact its unlikely to ever go over 1000 degrees actual temp of the out side surface on any street car.

so the performance diferece is NILL in a automotive aplication.

im not confusing them im saying very simply very truely the titanium is a snob thing the advantage over the ceramic is nill in a non turbo aplication."

We're not talking about preventing your headers from melting, we're talking about not letting the headers do such a good job of heating your engine compartment.

The coating will contribute to lower temperatures in the engine compartment because it won't allow as much exhaust heat (whether it's 1000 degrees or a million degrees) outside the headers. This *may* lead to cooler intake air, depending on the location of your intake and also may reduce the amount of heat soak.

I personally would rather have a header that was 500 degrees on the outside than 1000 degrees.

delurker said:
We're not talking about preventing your headers from melting, we're talking about not letting the headers do such a good job of heating your engine compartment.

The coating will contribute to lower temperatures in the engine compartment because it won't allow as much exhaust heat (whether it's 1000 degrees or a million degrees) outside the headers. This *may* lead to cooler intake air, depending on the location of your intake and also may reduce the amount of heat soak.

I personally would rather have a header that was 500 degrees on the outside than 1000 degrees.
Gotcha.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Talked to Justin at JBA and he thinks I'll be
fine with stainless.
As for the steeda mounts,JBA's first shorties
did have a clearance issue with steering column.
Their 2nd generation shorties corrected this.
The stock mounts should be fine.