Just need Quick Confirmation before I buy an Engine

Ok I just wanted to make sure that the 1996 Explorer Engine came with the regular GT40 Heads. I am wondering this because I have an option to get a complete engine for $335 Shipped and it only has 89k miles on it. I really only want it for heads and I was going to part out the rest besides the short block. Hopefully by selling stuff I would break even. Also my girlfriend wanted me to write in that she says Hi.

Thanks,

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

i have a book that says explorers changed to a different intake in 1997. it doesn't give specifics about gt40 and gt40P. just cast numbers chamber size and valve size.

but i believe it was 1997 when they switched over to the P heads and before that they were the original 1993 cobra gt40 heads.

thats all the info i got on the matter though i hoped it helped

I did some research and all were regular 40's until 2 months approx. in 97 when they went to the p head. I also seen a revision was made in the manifold and some have egr and others do not. I am doing some research to help a friend and found a lot of good info on this site doing a search on Explorer motors. Either head is better than the E7's and of course the P head requires specific headers unless you don't mind modding a plug socket or dropping the headers to change plugs. Lots of good info, So disregard previous post.

Believe it or not :eek:

Did a search in 94-95 Tech forum using the keyword ... explorer :D

In less than 5 minutes I found 3 different threads saying .....

It was 1997 about mid year where they went to the p heads
so
Earlier than that would most likely have the regular 40 heads

Your Welcome :)

Grady

I know I did a search too...I always search but sometimes I post up threads just to make sure. I actually want the regular GT40 Heads since I do not want to buy special headers or try to make regular ones work... I figure as soon as I am done with my Heads and cam swap I can always change out the heads later on if I want since the cam is the worst part to do.

Thanks again guys